RAM Sink attachment

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got these home made RAM sinks for my GeForce 256 DDR. I need to attach them. Only, I don't want to spend no $20 or whatever on a Artic Silver/Thermal Epoxy combo, and I hear thermal tape isn't quite good enough. What about some other, more common adhesives? Like, regular epoxy, superglue, etc. Will those all work, or whould I really go for tape rather than those (I'm not spending the money for arctic silver)? I don't want to buy tape because I can only find it online, which adds like $5 for shipping, so it would be like $15 anyways for shipping and the tape... Anyone know of any stores where that stuff can be bought?

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you don't want the extra performance, you can pick up some thermal paste from Radio-Smack and some super glue from Waldo-World. Slap the paste on the chip, mash the heatink on the pasted chip, and put a drop (read:small drop) on two sides of the heatsink. You can actually just superglue around the entire border of the heatsink, but there's a good chance it will never come back off except with a butane torch. Just like 'JB's Liquid Weld', but clear.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, JB weld does a decent job of conducting heat. But not as good as the heatsink, so use only a very thin layer. And be carefull not to get it on any circuits!

Suicide is painless...........

mpjesse

Splendid
This is what I do and it works great. I put a thin layer of Arctic silver on the center of the RAM chip, then get some super glue and put a small dot of it on each corner of the chip. Next I attach the heatsinks and bling bling i've got RAM sinks. I buy the heatsinks from radio shack.

-MP JEsse

"Signatures Suck"