COMPAQ ARMADA 7790DMT

Sirs, i have an Armada 7790 dmt that i put windows Xp on and after witch i
find thats its not a supported system, So I will have to use windows 2000
pro or 98
How do I install either Operating sys.with Xp Installed already.
And what kind of modem was used in this Computer?I mean the Make of the
modem.Ther are no modem drivers for Xp so thats one reason i have to
revert...thnks ..Mark

--
CHIEFS KICK DOWN THE DOOR IN 2004
3 answers Last reply

    "markymark" <markymark7560@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Sirs, i have an Armada 7790 dmt that i put windows Xp on and
    > after witch i
    > find thats its not a supported system, So I will have to use
    > windows 2000
    > pro or 98
    > How do I install either Operating sys.with Xp Installed already.
    > And what kind of modem was used in this Computer?I mean the Make
    > of the
    > modem.Ther are no modem drivers for Xp so thats one reason i have
    > revert...thnks ..Mark
    >
    > --
    > CHIEFS KICK DOWN THE DOOR IN 2004

    You will have to use a Windows 98 Startup disk to remove the non-DOS
    partition with FDisk and then create a DOS partition with the same
    program. You can then format as FAT32. You will find better
    hardware support with Windows 98 than Windows 2000. To make it
    easier to go from a bootable floppy disk to a CD-ROM for
    installation, you should make a bootable CD-ROM disk from the
    bootable floppy disk image since you cannot use the floppy drive and
    the CD drive simultaneously. You will have to create that disk on a
    CD writable drive.

    Since you are starting with a blank hard drive, you would need
    qualifying media to do an upgrade to Windows 98. You would have to
    have either the Windows 95 CD or the original Windows 98 CD to go to
    Windows 98 Second Edition. If you have a full Windows 98 CD, you
    will not need to create a bootable CD-ROM because that disk is
    bootable as is. Windows 2000 can upgrade from Windows 95 or Windows
    98 only.

    You can go to the Hewlett-Packard website to search for your system.
    You might be better served to use a PC Card modem rather than the
    original because it might not be X.90 compliant. Back then modems
    were either X2 or KFlex and many could not be upgraded to the x.90
    standard.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Instead of going through all that hassle, why not just keep XP and buy a
    cheap PC card modem that comes with XP drivers?
    HH
    "Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote in message

    > "markymark" <markymark7560@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Sirs, i have an Armada 7790 dmt that i put windows Xp on and
    > > after witch i
    > > find thats its not a supported system, So I will have to use
    > > windows 2000
    > > pro or 98
    > > How do I install either Operating sys.with Xp Installed already.
    > > And what kind of modem was used in this Computer?I mean the Make
    > > of the
    > > modem.Ther are no modem drivers for Xp so thats one reason i have
    > > revert...thnks ..Mark
    > >
    > > --
    > > CHIEFS KICK DOWN THE DOOR IN 2004
    > >

    > You will have to use a Windows 98 Startup disk to remove the non-DOS
    > partition with FDisk and then create a DOS partition with the same
    > program. You can then format as FAT32. You will find better
    > hardware support with Windows 98 than Windows 2000. To make it
    > easier to go from a bootable floppy disk to a CD-ROM for
    > installation, you should make a bootable CD-ROM disk from the
    > bootable floppy disk image since you cannot use the floppy drive and
    > the CD drive simultaneously. You will have to create that disk on a
    > CD writable drive.
    >
    > Since you are starting with a blank hard drive, you would need
    > qualifying media to do an upgrade to Windows 98. You would have to
    > have either the Windows 95 CD or the original Windows 98 CD to go to
    > Windows 98 Second Edition. If you have a full Windows 98 CD, you
    > will not need to create a bootable CD-ROM because that disk is
    > bootable as is. Windows 2000 can upgrade from Windows 95 or Windows
    > 98 only.
    >
    > You can go to the Hewlett-Packard website to search for your system.
    > You might be better served to use a PC Card modem rather than the
    > original because it might not be X.90 compliant. Back then modems
    > were either X2 or KFlex and many could not be upgraded to the x.90
    > standard.
    >
    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

    Well, there are a couple of other reasons too, such as available memory
    ,Video drivers , etc.,and of course the BIOS that I need to run , none of
    witch supports Xp

Compaq Modem Windows XP Computers