  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 5:37:11 PM

Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to distance
and teleporters.

One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
server post WoW.

More about : bazaar

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 5:37:12 PM

> Not only are the new one like a maze, it can be
> a freaking long run from one trader to another
> and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a
> bargain due to distance and teleporters.

My guess is they did this to cut down on video lag. In the old bazaar, even
the fastest machines slowed down trying to render 500 traders. By spacing
out the traders in a maze, they cut down on video lag and make it easier for
people to move about. With the "Find Trader" feature, navigating the maze
should be easy.

I'm not saying I agree with all this, I'm saying that's what I believe their
thinking to be. =)

--
-Richard

Monual Lifegiver
Prelate of Rodcet Nife
Wratih guild
Quellious server
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 6:24:40 PM

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
> like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
> and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to distance
> and teleporters.
>
> One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
> checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
> server post WoW.
> --

The thing I find most amusing is people in general at least on my server are
always complaining about nerfing or "dumbing down the game". Yet when they
do something that is visually nice to look at and takes about 10 minutes to
learn, they complain it's too hard and /feedback and /ooc to no end.
Once you get the hang of it it's quite nice.
Think of it akin to street names, Red Dragon Portal being neighbourhood,
Diamond (for example) being your street name.

Sedce Frozentears (65 Barbarian Shaman - Terris Thule)
Related resources
February 17, 2005 1:20:59 AM

In article <aYNQd.7378$dZ.452903@news20.bellglobal.com>,
fadedwings@yahoo.ca says...

> "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> > Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
> > like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
> > and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to distance
> > and teleporters.
> >
> > One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
> > checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
> > server post WoW.
> > --
> >

> The thing I find most amusing is people in general at least on my server are
> always complaining about nerfing or "dumbing down the game". Yet when they
> do something that is visually nice to look at and takes about 10 minutes to
> learn, they complain it's too hard and /feedback and /ooc to no end.

I, at least, have no issues with the the aesthetics of the new bazaar.

> Once you get the hang of it it's quite nice.
> Think of it akin to street names, Red Dragon Portal being neighbourhood,
> Diamond (for example) being your street name.

I'm just not sure -why-. Is there an explanation?

ie Why do I care if you are on Diamond street? When is that going to
come up? Find path to trader just gives a yellow ribbon to chase... not
street directions. Streets and sections and colours would have made
sense in the era before ribbon chasing... but now...?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 1:21:00 AM

"42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In article <aYNQd.7378$dZ.452903@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> fadedwings@yahoo.ca says...
> >
> > "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> > > Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
> > > like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
> > > and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to distance
> > > and teleporters.
> > >
> > > One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
> > > checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
> > > server post WoW.
> > > --
> > >

> > The thing I find most amusing is people in general at least on my server
are
> > always complaining about nerfing or "dumbing down the game". Yet when
they
> > do something that is visually nice to look at and takes about 10 minutes
> > learn, they complain it's too hard and /feedback and /ooc to no end.
>
> I, at least, have no issues with the the aesthetics of the new bazaar.
>
> > Once you get the hang of it it's quite nice.
> > Think of it akin to street names, Red Dragon Portal being neighbourhood,
> > Diamond (for example) being your street name.
>
> I'm just not sure -why-. Is there an explanation?
>
> ie Why do I care if you are on Diamond street? When is that going to
> come up? Find path to trader just gives a yellow ribbon to chase... not
> street directions. Streets and sections and colours would have made
> sense in the era before ribbon chasing... but now...?

Just chalk it up to the fact that it's an evolving game, just as they
reinvisioned Lavastorm, they did the Bazaar, maybe there will be a reason
for it that comes up later.

I do however have to say they need to fix some stuff which they are probably
doing right now. I was on my druid and had to port a few people out of
bazaar last night as they couldn't move.

Sedce
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 1:47:48 AM

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
| Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
| like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
| and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to distance
| and teleporters.
|
| One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
| checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
| server post WoW.
| --
| To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

I think the new bazaar is terrible. One reason I've heard from SoE for
changing it was to lower the lag in the zone. With the hide traders option,
lag was almost non-existant already. Not only that but the fact that so many
people have quit EQ, the lag was lowered dramatically from that already
also.

Back in the day I remember Karana hitting the cap of 500 and having to keep
trying to get my vendor up. I think they upped the cap to 550 or 600?
Anyways, lately there might be in the neighborhood of just over 200 vendors.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 9:35:34 AM

I love the new bazaar. I am glad they made some changes, even if it
does seem further to run at times, I like the look.

I don't like the fact that I can't be in trader mode and in barter mode
at the same time. That would be much cooler if I could put a list of
sale prices and buy prices up on one character.

<

Impmon wrote:
> Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 7:43:37 PM

"Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in

>> Not only are the new one like a maze, it can be
>> a freaking long run from one trader to another
>> and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to
>> distance and teleporters.
>
> My guess is they did this to cut down on video lag. In the old
> bazaar, even the fastest machines slowed down trying to render 500
> traders. By spacing out the traders in a maze, they cut down on video
> lag and make it easier for people to move about. With the "Find
> Trader" feature, navigating the maze should be easy.
>
> I'm not saying I agree with all this, I'm saying that's what I believe
> their thinking to be. =)

They added the Hide Trader feature a long time ago to deal with that
issue, it worked great, I've not had any lag issues there ever since.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 7:45:21 PM

"Sedce Frozentears" <fadedwings@yahoo.ca> wrote in

> "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
>> Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
>> like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
>> and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to
>> distance and teleporters.
>>
>> One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
>> checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
>> server post WoW.
>> --
>>

> The thing I find most amusing is people in general at least on my
> server are always complaining about nerfing or "dumbing down the
> game". Yet when they do something that is visually nice to look at
> and takes about 10 minutes to learn, they complain it's too hard and
> /feedback and /ooc to no end. Once you get the hang of it it's quite
> nice. Think of it akin to street names, Red Dragon Portal being
> neighbourhood, Diamond (for example) being your street name.

Tell that to all the people who got stuck in the walls/floor, and if
ported out somehow, are unable to move as they are so overburdened.

I will agree that it looks nice, but, it's a pain in the butt to navigate
compared to the old bazaar.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 11:09:49 PM

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
> Tell that to all the people who got stuck in the walls/floor, and if
> ported out somehow, are unable to move as they are so overburdened.
>
> I will agree that it looks nice, but, it's a pain in the butt to navigate
> compared to the old bazaar.

The "getting stuck" part is a bug: Sony apparently didn't flag all the
required files as needing to be downloaded, so people zone into the new
Bazaar but have old geometry files and their client thinks they can't
move because they're in a wall or something. (And if you look in the
direction of the Arena, you'll see people falling like raindrops into
it. The server tells your client the people are at such-and-such loc,
and your client deduces those people must be falling because they're in
midair, so it shows you the people falling until the server sends fresh
loc info.)

Anyway, it's easy to fix, but you have to know to do it. Just go into
the Advanced options in the patcher, and turn on the checkbox for Luclin
(I turned on all the boxes for the expansions I own) and tell it to do a
full file check. Fixes it right up.

I expected yesterday's one-hour patch to be fixing the Bazaar bug, but
I'm still seeing people bitching in the bazaar /ooc, so I guess not.

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 47 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 19, 2005 5:11:22 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:24:40 -0500, "Sedce Frozentears"
<fadedwings@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
>> Why didn't SoE leave the old bazaar alone? Not only are the new one
>> like a maze, it can be a freaking long run from one trader to another
>> and you're more likely to miss out a deal or a bargain due to distance
>> and teleporters.
>>
>> One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
>> checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
>> server post WoW.
>> --
>>

>The thing I find most amusing is people in general at least on my server are
>always complaining about nerfing or "dumbing down the game". Yet when they
>do something that is visually nice to look at and takes about 10 minutes to
>learn, they complain it's too hard and /feedback and /ooc to no end.
>Once you get the hang of it it's quite nice.

Sure,but the question remains,why invest time and money in something
which worked fine and nobody ever complained about.

Melldur
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 19, 2005 5:11:23 AM

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> writes:
> Sure,but the question remains,why invest time and money in something
> which worked fine and nobody ever complained about.

I'm not sure, unless it was to make the look consistent with
that of the Barter Hall, since the two are connected. (And on
that topic, I *know* PoK connects all over the place, but until
now it's always involved a portal statue. Now you can go through
a door into the Barter Hall, and then through another door into
the Bazaar, at which point you're on Luclin. Feels a bit odd.)

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they redid the Bazaar
because too many idiots never noticed (nor read about) the
Hide Traders button. The new design does away with a lot of
the load passively, i.e. without requiring the player to know
anything. (Insert standard gripe about dumbing down the game. :-)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 47 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
February 19, 2005 5:11:24 AM

In article <7w8y5l1fvb.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> writes:
> > Sure,but the question remains,why invest time and money in something
> > which worked fine and nobody ever complained about.
>
> I'm not sure, unless it was to make the look consistent with
> that of the Barter Hall, since the two are connected. (And on
> that topic, I *know* PoK connects all over the place, but until
> now it's always involved a portal statue. Now you can go through
> a door into the Barter Hall, and then through another door into
> the Bazaar, at which point you're on Luclin. Feels a bit odd.)

/bug it :D

Probably to late for them to fix it though.

> Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they redid the Bazaar
> because too many idiots never noticed (nor read about) the
> Hide Traders button. The new design does away with a lot of
> the load passively, i.e. without requiring the player to know
> anything. (Insert standard gripe about dumbing down the game. :-)

Personally, while 'hide traders' worked, it was a stupid hack really. It
was a workaround that made the zone navigable.

The new bazaar fixes a real problem the old version had.

I'm amazed at how much bitching theres been about this.

Imagine if *this* had been the original bazaar and then sony released
the old bazaar with a hide traders option.... you'd be up in arms about
'duming down the game', what? were people so stupid they couldn't walk
from room to room!? that SOE felt the need to cram everyone into a
square box?, that it ruins the immersion with the hide traders function,
that you couldn't see why they didn't leave well enough alone!!

heh... my 0.02.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 19, 2005 5:14:23 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:37:11 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>One question: did SoE ever get over that 500 seller limit? When I
>checked, it was not much higher than 300, about the average for my
>server post WoW.

Yes,before Sony decided to cannibalize EQ1 for EQ2 it was sometimes
impossible to get a trader spot with the seller limit being 550.

Meldur
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 21, 2005 11:33:19 AM

"Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message

> Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they redid the Bazaar
> because too many idiots never noticed (nor read about) the
> Hide Traders button. The new design does away with a lot of
> the load passively, i.e. without requiring the player to know
> anything. (Insert standard gripe about dumbing down the game. :-)

I don't know if it's like this for everyone, but when I create a new
character (on either account I used to have), the default size of the bazaar
search window was set so that the Hide Traders button wasn't visible...it
was off to the side and I had to resize the window to see it...because I
knew it was there. How many new people playing didn't know the Hide Traders
button was even there because they never resized that window?

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Widdershins, 21st level Orc Hunter, Hellscream

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:33:19 -0600, "Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote:

>I don't know if it's like this for everyone, but when I create a new
>character (on either account I used to have), the default size of the bazaar
>search window was set so that the Hide Traders button wasn't visible...it
>was off to the side and I had to resize the window to see it...because I
>knew it was there. How many new people playing didn't know the Hide Traders
>button was even there because they never resized that window?

You have a point. Some windows have changed over the years but the
size and position often didn't. My spell gem often ar epartly
obstructed by another window and has been since the 9th slot was added
with OoW. Raid box were so squashed by default it would seems to be
broken. And the option is hiding advanced button. =P