Sign in with
Your question

Guild Wars 2 Anyone?

Last response: in Video Games
April 22, 2012 5:42:45 AM

Anyone out there pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and going to be playing this weekend for the Beta Event? They said that the game's not fully optimized wondering what kind of rigs people are going to be playing on and if anyone is on the low-end of the spectrum and is still gonna give it a whirl?

More about : guild wars

April 22, 2012 6:31:19 PM

I am and I can't wait! :wahoo:  Watch, I'll probably be scheduled to work that weekend too.

I'm going to be playing it with 8 GB ddr3 ram, amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition, geforce gtx 560 ti, 650 watt corsair psu.
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:45:11 PM

i have it pre-purchased to and im on amd althalon ii x4 8gb ddr3 ram and 6670 gpu, although i am planning a new build when ivy bridge is released and a few more kepler cards come out.
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 12:15:14 PM

I'll be attempting to play this weekend. Specs:

Intl Core 2 Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz
Geforce 8800 GTS
8 GB DDR2 Ram

I expect to play the PvE part, but I'm sure my comptuer would melt during WvW. Planning on building a new rig before release or if before the next BWE pending performance this weekend.
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:36:55 PM

Hey guys, planning to try the game on my laptop:
i7-2720qm, gtx485m, 8gb ram, 7200 rpm HDD

Did anybody get instructions for where to get the client from yet?

Really excited too, been waiting for this game for a while now, with on and off attention to development, last weekend went through all the info that's already available on the game and was impressed enough to prepurchase it, in lieu of lack of other candidates (TOR was a fail for me, and Tera isn't very attractive on the payment side)
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:43:34 PM

AntiZig I believe they said they will send an email with instructions whenever they allow us to start downloading.
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:44:45 PM

Any news on when the beta event will be? Will pre-purchase just to play the beta.
m
l
April 23, 2012 4:04:24 PM

Goldengoose said:
Any news on when the beta event will be? Will pre-purchase just to play the beta.

The first Beta Weekend Event is this coming weekend. Opens Friday April 27th at 12:00 Noon PST and closes on Sunday April 29th at 12:00 Midnight PST. If you pre-purchased or obtained a beta key from PAX East then you're guaranteed access to this beta event.

See everyone in-game.
m
l
April 23, 2012 4:13:27 PM

well they said this weekend, 4/26 I believe was the date thrown, so I'm guessing something like 4/27 at 12am is when they plan to throw the servers online and it will run through sunday, most likely. But yet again, I haven't heard of any specifics yet.

Edit: nvm, see above :D 
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:25:48 PM

All of the information has been released except for when we are going to be capable of downloading the client, the beta weekend event starts at 12:00 pm PDT, and runs until sunday at midnight PDT. The only way to guarantee access to this event is to prepurchase the game. There has been some complications with prepurchasing from vendors other than Arena-net, so I suggest just prepurchasing it there.
m
l
April 25, 2012 10:14:03 PM

I am building a new PC but wont have my IB processor for the beta this weekend so i'm rolling my ollddd dual Core 1.86 ghz intl with a geforce gtx 8600...

Sufficite to say I will be on some low settings. Hoping I can get my processor for the weekend but looks like next week.

^^^ tallfern if you have an account registered you get an email that links you to where to download the client. I got an email yesterday and have the client downloaded now.
m
l
April 26, 2012 12:37:05 AM

I got my email at 4am today lul. So yeah they sent out most of the emails yesterday so I think everyone who should have one has one now. I CANT WAIT BLRAAAAAAARGGHHHHHHH.
m
l
April 26, 2012 1:18:54 AM

downloading the client now, yeesh, only 2 files besides the executable? -_-

that .dat is going to be immeasurably clunky, cannot wait till I get off work friday :D 
m
l
April 26, 2012 1:48:14 AM

I will be playing, on the Yak's Bend server.

amd 1090t
8GB DDR3
ATI 6950 1GB
m
l
April 26, 2012 12:05:38 PM

Quote:
The first Beta Weekend Event is this coming weekend. Opens Friday April 27th at 12:00 Noon PST and closes on Sunday April 29th at 12:00 Midnight PST.http://www.demama.info/hjk

Did you just "copy/paste" me? How dare you! J/K

I'll be on the Fort Aspenwood server. So computer_noc I'll be looking for you on the WvW battlefield. :) 

Super excited about this game.
m
l
April 26, 2012 1:03:20 PM

Oh heck yeah I will be playing. Already told the wife to concider me gone for the weekend :) 

I have been playing Aion to pass the time for GW2 to come out. Anyway already got it downloaded and just waiting to log in...system specs are in my signature below :) 
m
l
April 26, 2012 1:57:29 PM

@ Xllsargellx, Let me know how the client runs on your computer. Particularly WvW if you happen to play that format. I'm curious how much of a lag fest it might be. I plan on building a similar system in the very near future and hoping it would eliminate the bottlenecks that I'll probably see with my system.

"4x23" monitors"? Dang son. very nice!
m
l
April 26, 2012 2:17:58 PM

I'm confused about this whole worlds business.

If you pick any particular world does it present any differences over the others? Or is it just basically a sever name and population is consistent while the game content is the same across all servers?

Also, they list close 10 servers in USA, but they mention that for BWE they will only have 3 worlds available for each region. So what are those 3 worlds?
m
l
April 26, 2012 2:32:35 PM

There are no differences between the worlds based on game content. The only differences between them would be the WvW bonuses. If your world has the most points in WvW, then you'll get a set of bonuses that will afffect the entire world for a period of time. These include bonuses to crafting, experience, loot, etc... These bonuses affect PvE and PvP (i.e. the entire world).

Where did they mention only 3 worlds would be available for the BWE? I saw a list that had close to 15 listed for both US and Europe.
m
l
April 26, 2012 2:57:59 PM

bacole08 said:
There are no differences between the worlds based on game content. The only differences between them would be the WvW bonuses. If your world has the most points in WvW, then you'll get a set of bonuses that will afffect the entire world for a period of time. These include bonuses to crafting, experience, loot, etc... These bonuses affect PvE and PvP (i.e. the entire world).

Where did they mention only 3 worlds would be available for the BWE? I saw a list that had close to 15 listed for both US and Europe.

Sounds awesome!
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:08:57 PM

bacole08 said:
@ Xllsargellx, Let me know how the client runs on your computer. Particularly WvW if you happen to play that format. I'm curious how much of a lag fest it might be. I plan on building a similar system in the very near future and hoping it would eliminate the bottlenecks that I'll probably see with my system.

"4x23" monitors"? Dang son. very nice!

Will do.... the only change that might happen is the CPU might get overclocked if I get my liquid cooler before the weekend. As for the 4 monitors yeah it's nice. I use the bottom 3 with eyefinity to play games across them and then the one on top to still be able to surf and see my Vent client :) 

m
l
April 26, 2012 3:28:11 PM

sweet pic

@bacole08: Thanks for clarifying. As far as having 3 worlds available, I watched a vid on youtube where 2 developers where talking about what they will have available in terms of game content in the first BWE and they stated that PVP and WVW will be available, but with regard to WvW there will only be three worlds available, and WvW will take place over 4 maps, where there will be 1 map for each respective world and then 1 central map tying the 3 other battlefields toghether. At least that's what I got from it. If you look through GW2 facebook page I'm sure you'll find this video.
m
l
April 26, 2012 4:19:18 PM

I may be wrong, but they might have been referring to a closed beta event when limiting the 3 worlds available? The blog post about the World transfers specifically states a list of worlds (servers) available for the BWE. No notes were included stating which ones would be limited to the WvW PvP mode.

This may also be a misunderstanding on how the mechanics works. WvW is a PvP mode that matches 3 separate worlds against each other in an open battlefield. For example, the worlds availble for the BWE are Worlds A, B, C....and F. For this weekend the WvW will be setup to match each of the worlds together. So... World A, World C, and World E will all fight on one battleground. While World B, World D, and World F will fight on a separate battleground.

The battleground is composed of 4 maps. You are correct by stating each world has a "base" map on the outer portions, with the center map being the crossroad and containing the major castle you can control. Here is what the WvW map will look like.

http://wac.7725.edgecastcdn.net/807725/website/wp-conte...

I couldn't find the video you were referring too. I am curious if my assumption is wrong as this would definitely affect my server choice.
m
l
April 26, 2012 6:23:37 PM

I already pre-purchased the game and will play the beta this weekend.

Athlon II x3 425 (240*13.5 NB*10)

XFX HD 5770 (Overclocked to the MAX)

Corsair 4 GB DDR2 800MHz

Antec Earth Watts 430

I hope my system can run it at least med-high over 40fps. I can't build a new one right now. They say that the beta is very CPU bound and that upgrading the vid card will no`t improve fps. They also recommend to play at stock speeds, any overclocked component will perform slower.... weird right?

m
l
April 26, 2012 8:31:09 PM

bacole08 said:
I may be wrong, but they might have been referring to a closed beta event when limiting the 3 worlds available? The blog post about the World transfers specifically states a list of worlds (servers) available for the BWE. No notes were included stating which ones would be limited to the WvW PvP mode.

This may also be a misunderstanding on how the mechanics works. WvW is a PvP mode that matches 3 separate worlds against each other in an open battlefield. For example, the worlds availble for the BWE are Worlds A, B, C....and F. For this weekend the WvW will be setup to match each of the worlds together. So... World A, World C, and World E will all fight on one battleground. While World B, World D, and World F will fight on a separate battleground.

The battleground is composed of 4 maps. You are correct by stating each world has a "base" map on the outer portions, with the center map being the crossroad and containing the major castle you can control. Here is what the WvW map will look like.

http://wac.7725.edgecastcdn.net/807725/website/wp-conte...

I couldn't find the video you were referring to. I am curious if my assumption is wrong as this would definitely affect my server choice.

ahh ok thanks for clarifying. I'll find the link again after I get off work, so I can make sure i'm not giving you random links.

m
l
April 26, 2012 9:38:58 PM

I will be playing this weekend and my PC is pretty ancient. I built it 3.5 years ago now.

E8400 @3.6Ghz
3.5 GB DDR2 @800
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SSC @648 & 1134

I saw a video with a stock system almost exactly the same as mine and it seemed to run just fine. I hear it actually ran better on older system in the past, but that could have changed with the newer client.
m
l
April 26, 2012 11:25:11 PM

I'm sure it will scale reasonably guys. with the volume of people they are expecting to participate in this, surely they have anticipated newer and older configs.

@bacole08:
here's the link to the video, I was talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oiv8OM5taf8
m
l
April 27, 2012 7:32:39 PM

Alright you mongrels, it's past 12 noon pst so I imagine majority is already enjoying their first impressions of the game. I'm still stuck at work :( 

Hopefully, this game is everything we are expecting of it and then some.
m
l
April 27, 2012 9:04:48 PM

I'm not 100% sure I like it. I mean it looks amazing but I'm not sure how I feel about the game play. Just everyone running around doing the same quests all at the same time it's kinda crazy and unorganized. Still have not figured out how to get into WvW stuff. But the game runs smooth on my system and there are tons of people all over the place so my system is getting tested for sure. But again everything runs pretty smooth.
m
l
April 28, 2012 1:28:25 AM

um, minimum system spec is a geforce 7800 ROTFL.
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:25:53 AM

alright, server down for maintenance. Definitely captivating game, I agree with xllsargellx that it's a bit confusing with lots of people running around. As far as bunching for partying there's special quests you get when you get close to certain area, you can make a party right there and then and do the quest with ppl.

As far as running the game, it's CPU heavy as most MMOs are. Regardless the visuals are beautiful, the character creation is enjoyable (I spent an hour picking out the race and armor color :)  )

This still being a beta, some quests are confusing and hard to figure out. Some quests are open ended and give you several objective you can complete in any order and repeat each one of the objectives as many times as you want. Completing each objective gives you some amount of points that get added to your total score for the quest, once you get to certain amount of points the game counts that the quest is completed. On one hand those quests leave you with more open ended approach to how you complete the quest, but on the other hand might be a bit confusing because very little direction is given on what exactly it is that they mean by 3-4 words. But if you stick around and watch other people you most likely will figure it out sooner or later.

I've only gotten to lv6 so far, barely any active skills, but the game hasn't demonstrated any of the revered skill combat that was advertised so well in the game videos. Your main skill is your basic attack for your weapon, which has no cooldown or mana cost and gets spammed when no other skills are being used. So, perhaps it gets better a little down the road, but so far it's not that different from other MMO combat I've encountered.
m
l
!