printer communication problem

I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error message
that the printer is not installed correctly. I have been
told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't seem
to locate it. Please advise
5 answers Last reply
More about printer communication problem

    I don't know about the Epson scanner, but the printer is certainly an old
    model. You don't perhaps have them both piggy-backed together as LPT
    devices do you? This isn't supported under XP.

    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
    > scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
    > use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error message
    > that the printer is not installed correctly. I have been
    > told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't seem
    > to locate it. Please advise

    No, they are on seperate usb ports. The printer works
    fine otherwise.

    This was sold to us as a package by Gateway. The printer
    and scanner are not connected in any way. They have
    never communicated correctly. I am getting a run around
    about how to resolve this problem.

    The first thing I would try is an uninstall and reinstall of the HP
    printer.....

    New drivers are at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=59129&os=228&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&softwareitem=dj1183en

    However if they have never communicated correctly, they may just not like
    each other!
    --

    > This was sold to us as a package by Gateway. The printer
    > and scanner are not connected in any way. They have
    > never communicated correctly. I am getting a run around
    > about how to resolve this problem.

    EPSON Smart Panel Copy Utility is a short-cut rather than a program.
    It provides a simple interface for a far more complex procedure. It
    does this by automatically assigning a lot of default values and thus
    allows you just to press a button.
    To do this it has to interface with the printer driver. EPSON Smart
    Panel Copy Utility did not work well with the HP 900 series ink jet
    printers. There is not a problem with your operating system or the
    scanner. There is a patch to allow more non-EPSON printers top
    function with the Smart Panel but many have found that this does not
    resolve the issue with the HP 900 series.
    One way to get around this is to install an EPSON ink jet through the
    Add Printer Wizard and make it the default (this will be a dummy
    installation as no such printer will be attached). Then the Copy will
    open and you can change to the HP. However this does mean that you
    will have to use file/print and select the correct printer from every
    other program as well...
    This is not seen as a big issue, and there is other Copy software free
    on the internet that will allow you to achieve what you wish.

    "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<#M#bRhcPEHA.988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > The first thing I would try is an uninstall and reinstall of the HP
    > printer.....
    > http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
    >
    > New drivers are at
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=59129&os=228&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&softwareitem=dj1183en
    >
    > However if they have never communicated correctly, they may just not like
    > each other!
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > This was sold to us as a package by Gateway. The printer
    > > and scanner are not connected in any way. They have
    > > never communicated correctly. I am getting a run around
    > > about how to resolve this problem.

Scanners Printers Windows XP