Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

printer communication problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error message
that the printer is not installed correctly. I have been
told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't seem
to locate it. Please advise
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:46:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I don't know about the Epson scanner, but the printer is certainly an old
model. You don't perhaps have them both piggy-backed together as LPT
devices do you? This isn't supported under XP.

--
Cari
MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
www.coribright.com

"brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:f3a901c43dbb$aa94be70$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
> scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
> use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error message
> that the printer is not installed correctly. I have been
> told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't seem
> to locate it. Please advise
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:15:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

No, they are on seperate usb ports. The printer works
fine otherwise.
>-----Original Message-----
>I don't know about the Epson scanner, but the printer is
certainly an old
>model. You don't perhaps have them both piggy-backed
together as LPT
>devices do you? This isn't supported under XP.
>
>--
>Cari
>MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>www.coribright.com
>
>"brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:f3a901c43dbb$aa94be70$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
>> scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
>> use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error
message
>> that the printer is not installed correctly. I have
been
>> told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't
seem
>> to locate it. Please advise
>
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:17:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

This was sold to us as a package by Gateway. The printer
and scanner are not connected in any way. They have
never communicated correctly. I am getting a run around
about how to resolve this problem.
>-----Original Message-----
>I don't know about the Epson scanner, but the printer is
certainly an old
>model. You don't perhaps have them both piggy-backed
together as LPT
>devices do you? This isn't supported under XP.
>
>--
>Cari
>MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>www.coribright.com
>
>"brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:f3a901c43dbb$aa94be70$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
>> scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
>> use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error
message
>> that the printer is not installed correctly. I have
been
>> told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't
seem
>> to locate it. Please advise
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

The first thing I would try is an uninstall and reinstall of the HP
printer.....
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm

New drivers are at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...

However if they have never communicated correctly, they may just not like
each other!
--
Cari
MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
www.coribright.com

"brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:f4b001c43dc5$3a198860$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> This was sold to us as a package by Gateway. The printer
> and scanner are not connected in any way. They have
> never communicated correctly. I am getting a run around
> about how to resolve this problem.
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I don't know about the Epson scanner, but the printer is
> certainly an old
>>model. You don't perhaps have them both piggy-backed
> together as LPT
>>devices do you? This isn't supported under XP.
>>
>>--
>>Cari
>>MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>>www.coribright.com
>>
>>"brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>>news:f3a901c43dbb$aa94be70$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>>I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
>>> scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
>>> use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error
> message
>>> that the printer is not installed correctly. I have
> been
>>> told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't
> seem
>>> to locate it. Please advise
>>
>>
>>.
>>
May 20, 2004 5:28:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

EPSON Smart Panel Copy Utility is a short-cut rather than a program.
It provides a simple interface for a far more complex procedure. It
does this by automatically assigning a lot of default values and thus
allows you just to press a button.
To do this it has to interface with the printer driver. EPSON Smart
Panel Copy Utility did not work well with the HP 900 series ink jet
printers. There is not a problem with your operating system or the
scanner. There is a patch to allow more non-EPSON printers top
function with the Smart Panel but many have found that this does not
resolve the issue with the HP 900 series.
One way to get around this is to install an EPSON ink jet through the
Add Printer Wizard and make it the default (this will be a dummy
installation as no such printer will be attached). Then the Copy will
open and you can change to the HP. However this does mean that you
will have to use file/print and select the correct printer from every
other program as well...
This is not seen as a big issue, and there is other Copy software free
on the internet that will allow you to achieve what you wish.

"Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<#M#bRhcPEHA.988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> The first thing I would try is an uninstall and reinstall of the HP
> printer.....
> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
>
> New drivers are at
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...
>
> However if they have never communicated correctly, they may just not like
> each other!
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:f4b001c43dc5$3a198860$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> > This was sold to us as a package by Gateway. The printer
> > and scanner are not connected in any way. They have
> > never communicated correctly. I am getting a run around
> > about how to resolve this problem.
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>I don't know about the Epson scanner, but the printer is
> certainly an old
> >>model. You don't perhaps have them both piggy-backed
> together as LPT
> >>devices do you? This isn't supported under XP.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Cari
> >>MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> >>www.coribright.com
> >>
> >>"brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> >>news:f3a901c43dbb$aa94be70$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> >>>I am using Windows XP. I have an Epson photo smart
> >>> scanner and a HP deskjet 940c printer. When trying to
> >>> use the copy mode of the scanner, I get an error
> message
> >>> that the printer is not installed correctly. I have
> been
> >>> told there is a patch for this problem, but I can't
> seem
> >>> to locate it. Please advise
> >>
> >>
> >>.
> >>
!