Two different temp. reading?

G

Just put together new board with a 1.2athalon 266 processor and 256 ddr memory. The problem is the bios temp. reading is at least 30c to 35c cooler than the progarm that came with the Gigabyte Ga-7dx mobo (system monitor) which reads 85c right now but 52c on the bios reading. Which do you think is more accurate? using a cooler master 56h51

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Ummm...Try this: Run a taxing program on your system, then quickly shut down your system and open your case. Feel you heatsink and mobo. If your hand is horrible burned...It's 85. 52 seems to be the right temp, but that's a bit high. Using thermal grease? Ambient temp? Case temp?

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
52 seems to be the right temp. At 85, you'd probably face some severe lockups and freezes. Try a different program to check out your temp. Hope that helpes.

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I think he meant 85. Read his original post: 52 + (30 to 35) = 85 (approx.) Hopefully there is no confusion between degrees C and F.

By the way, where do I get an alternate temp monitoring program. Something that would give a constant reading in the system tray would be nice. Suggestions anyone?

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If the actual reading is 85C, your heatsink isn't making contact with your cpu. Did you put thermal paste on the core before you put the heatsink on?
58C is high, but your computer should function.

Edison

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I get similar results on my A7V (850 Tbird), but not as extreme as yours. Sisoft Sandra and Motherboard Monitor both report a temp 10C cooler than ASUS Probe. I've upgraded to the newest version of Probe and latest bios and still get the same results. I did see a drop of 5C after I installed a FOP32, but the 10C difference remains. BTW, the bios also reports the lower temp.

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I think some people go a little overboard with the cooling issue. AMD claims your 1.2 T-Bird has a max temperature of 95C. WHICH IS EXTREAMELY HOT!! They also say the normal operating temperature is between 30C and 58C. A very large range. If it gets into the upper 50's it will shorten the life of the CPU and will only operate 5-10 years max. But I seriously doubt I will be using this same processor 5 years from now.

My friend's 1.2 T-Bird (not OC'ed) idles at 53C (59C full load) and his computer is as stable as can be and he runs those full graphics games for hours. The only time the temperature gets out of control is if you are overclocking but if you keep it at the normal speed, you have good air circulation in the case, and your HSF is installed correctly; it won't overheat.