Sign in with
Your question

Best gaming mouse for under 50$

Last response: in Video Games
April 22, 2012 11:07:05 PM

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong part of the forums! Couldn't decide where to post, but I need some help with deciding on a new wired mouse to game with. I currently use a really generic logitech wireless one that loses signal occasionally and I really need to replace it. As far as games go, I really play everything. I play a lot of FPS's such as BF3, but I also play games like League of Legends and Diablo and Starcraft. It's mostly for FPS and third-person rpg type of games. I really have no where to start looking though. I know about dpi and sensitivity, but beyond that I know nothing about brands or specific models. I've heard good things about the logitech g4/5 series and for some of the razer adders, as well as steel series and M60s. As always, the cheaper the better, but 50$ is about my ~cap.

On a side note, how are gaming keyboards superior to generic ones? I use a Dell keyboard that came with a desktop ages ago and it still kicks. If there is a real upgrade to buying a gaming keyboard, I'd like to invest in one of those as well!

Thanks for your time

More about : gaming mouse

April 22, 2012 11:13:33 PM

The best mouse from a technical aspect, under $50.00, is in my opinion the new issue of the Logitech G400. It has zero accel/zero prediction and a very average physical design, which is good.
April 23, 2012 2:03:36 PM

depending on which mouse style you prefer, I've found razer abyssus to be a decent upgrade over my old generic logitec mouse (I prefer ambidextrous designs). Mostly FPS and RTS type gaming for me.

on another note:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
this was found to be pretty darn good mouse for the money
Related resources
April 24, 2012 9:36:51 PM

You think the g400 is the best out of the g4/5 and the deathadder? I have a friend who has the steel series sensei and he really likes that. the gigabype mouse is surprisingly cheap and very attractive at that price haha. Can I get some more opinions? Is 1600 dpi going to cut it?
April 24, 2012 9:45:28 PM

DPI is a comfort zone thing. More or less DPI is relative to the person. I would say the Deathadder is the only thing that competes with the G400 for absolute soundness and availability.
April 24, 2012 10:09:38 PM

As far as availability goes, they are all available. Cheapest place I can get them all is newegg so yeah. I have heard that the deathadder is not that durable? Maybe its just ragers that say that and don't care for their equipment. Is the gigabyte worth anything? I'm just looking for a straight up unbiased answer as to which is best and will last me a long time. I'm not a brand fiend as long as the product is a genuinely good piece of hardware.
April 24, 2012 10:16:03 PM

hedshotx said:
As far as availability goes, they are all available. Cheapest place I can get them all is newegg so yeah. I have heard that the deathadder is not that durable? Maybe its just ragers that say that and don't care for their equipment. Is the gigabyte worth anything? I'm just looking for a straight up unbiased answer as to which is best and will last me a long time. I'm not a brand fiend as long as the product is a genuinely good piece of hardware.

No knowledge of what hardware the Gigabyte mouse uses. It isn't a mouse that anyone in the computer peripheral circles is bothering to talk about, so I would take that as an indication that it is average. If it was great or awful, its name would come up.
April 25, 2012 12:02:03 AM

its not a bad mouse and is easily comparable in performance to the kova + or roccat kone and many other 50buck mice. average is probably the best description for it...

corsair do mice also there vengeance mice are gaining a rep for accuracy and build quality and i would say some of em are better than zome of razers higher end offerings.

but as i tell every 1 whos buying a mouse. go to a shop with a good selection and try them. most stores that have mice on display will allow you to see them in action...

April 25, 2012 1:02:58 AM

I like my G110 keyboard for the backlight and some extra keys. And with software you can set profiles up per game. I like my g500, do a lot of FPS gaming and RPGs, its great all around. The m60 is a sweet fps mouse, the naga is popular for MMOs. But razor is meh imo.
April 25, 2012 2:28:53 AM

i have a g11 which is basically the same as the g110. so far mine has lasted 3 years and is still as responcive as the day i got it... i am looking at a mechanical keyboard right now as a replacement. the steel series 6gv2 and the XArmor U9 backlit have caught my eye as a possible replacement...
i checked out the microsoft sidewinder x4 and its not a mechanical keyboard which was a surprise.
http://gamingweapons.com/gaming-keyboard-buying-guide/ check this fact sheet for refrences and you can make an informed choice so you know what your buying.
April 25, 2012 2:55:37 AM

HEXiT said:
i have a g11 which is basically the same as the g110. so far mine has lasted 3 years and is still as responcive as the day i got it... i am looking at a mechanical keyboard right now as a replacement. the steel series 6gv2 and the XArmor U9 backlit have caught my eye as a possible replacement...
i checked out the microsoft sidewinder x4 and its not a mechanical keyboard which was a surprise.
http://gamingweapons.com/gaming-keyboard-buying-guide/ check this fact sheet for refrences and you can make an informed choice so you know what your buying.

Yeah the Sidewinder X4 keyboard is just a rubber dome. As far as rubber dome keyboards go though, I have to give it credit. It's remarkably decent and has the best anti-ghosting of any non-mechanical that I could find. Since you can grab it on sale for 34.99 occasionally, it's definitely one of those bang for the buck kind of things. Much more respectable than Microsoft's mouse, that is for sure.

Good luck with finding a mechanical you like. If you're into backlighting, check out Deck and Ducky as well.
April 25, 2012 6:19:29 AM

Backlighting would be great. I'm in the awful habit of gaming in the dark so thats a huge plus, though I have a feeling keyboards with that feature are probably much more expensive...

Also care to explain what you mean when you say a mechanical keyboard?
April 25, 2012 7:44:00 AM

hedshotx said:
Backlighting would be great. I'm in the awful habit of gaming in the dark so thats a huge plus, though I have a feeling keyboards with that feature are probably much more expensive...

Also care to explain what you mean when you say a mechanical keyboard?

I was actually responding to Hexit's post specifically, but the long and short of it is that there are basically 2 types of keyboards. The kind that comprises 95% of the marketplace is the rubber dome style. Essentially these are cheap to manufacture and fit the role of "good enough" for generic use and really for just about anything else, so long as the user realizes that the keyboard won't stand up for half a decade under moderate to heavy use (or at least, not normally). These are your Logitechs, Microsoft Sidewinders, and most anything else.

The vast minority in the marketplace are mechanical keyboards, which are referred to as such because each key has an individual, mechanical switch that is activated and deactivated on each keystroke. These are more expensive to manufacture (much more), and in turn they generally cost more (the entry price to a quality mechanical keyboard is about 100 dollars) but when a key goes bad, often times you can replace the individual switch and the keyboard returns to 100% functionality. These keyboards stand the test of time much longer, and they are also preferred by typists and some gamers. There are different switch types which provide different tactile and audible cues, and if you're old enough to remember the original IBM Model M keyboards, which were very loud and had a distinct click-clack to them, these themselves were actually mechanical keyboards (buckling spring specifically, which is more obsolete now).

Basically, rubber-dome keyboards are the product of streamlining, manufacturing cost reduction, and mass production. And really, if you have 40-50 dollars to spend, they are your only option and there are actually some that are quite fine (like the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which has the ability to register many more simultaneous keystrokes before failing than any other rubber-dome keyboard). There are also some that cost almost as much as a quality mechanical keyboard and offer nothing more than lights or LCD screens, which don't actually provide any benefit to me nor to most people. If you want to spend more money, you can start looking at mechanical keyboards which have generally higher build quality but will come from less easily recognized brands. The Sidewinder X4 is so unique because it has very good anti-ghosting properties, allowing many keys to be depressed simultaneously with each registering (most keyboards will not accept more than 4-6 simultaneous inputs). Many mechanical keyboards further this with full nkey roll-over, meaning the entire keyboard can be simultaneously depressed with each keystroke successfully registering. The implications of this feature in gaming are relatively self-explanatory, but in my opinion anything beyond what the Sidewinder X4 provides in anti-ghosting is probably overkill. That is why I recommend it as the best budget keyboard. When it comes to mechanicals, I recommend brands like Daskeyboard, Ducky, Deck, Leopold, and Filco. I strongly advise against Razer's mechanical keyboard as it is really poorly manufactured.

Hope that covers it =). You can google Mechanical keyboards and find some really in-depth posts with actual .gifs displaying the different properties of each switch type, if it is something that interests you further. One such thread is here: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-g...
April 25, 2012 12:24:09 PM

i would recommend the mx518 from logitech its round about 30-40$ and a longliving gaming mouse, if you like the big ones. i use my mx518 since 3 years and i am very happy with it.
April 25, 2012 1:46:48 PM

Go into a store which has mice on display and try them.
Different people have different grip styles as well as other preferences.

Buying a mouse testing it first is like buying a car without a test drive, sure you might get lucky you also run the risk in dropping money one something you really don't like to use.
April 25, 2012 3:27:49 PM

^+1 that, pure common sense...
April 25, 2012 10:48:17 PM

The Logitech mx518/g400 and Deathadder are your best options. Make sure not to buy laser mice and generally 800DPI is enough for most gamers.
Make sure your win sens is 6/11 and that mouse acceleration is off to achieve the best precision.
I've heard good things about the abyssus and a Microsoft Intellimouse is a good option too. If you're looking to extend your budget, you have a couple more great choices, Steelseries Xai/Sensei come to mind. I've also heard that the G9x is good for RTS games.
I personally use a g400 locked at 800DPI, switching DPI during combat is a gimmick not to mention that it's pointless, so watch out for that.
April 25, 2012 10:59:27 PM

fatfatr said:
The Logitech mx518/g400 and Deathadder are your best options. Make sure not to buy laser mice and generally 800DPI is enough for most gamers.
Make sure your win sens is 6/11 and that mouse acceleration is off to achieve the best precision.
I've heard good things about the abyssus and a Microsoft Intellimouse is a good option too. If you're looking to extend your budget, you have a couple more great choices, Steelseries Xai/Sensei come to mind. I've also heard that the G9x is good for RTS games.
I personally use a g400 locked at 800DPI, switching DPI during combat is a gimmick not to mention that it's pointless, so watch out for that.

I agree with you on a lot of stuff, like switching DPI is a dumb gimmick that no one uses competitively, and having your Win sens at 6/11. I also agree with your implication that extremely high-sens isn't a necessity for most people and not particularly for gaming (myself I'm comfortable with my sens at 2300, but to each their own). But I disagree with the blanket statement "avoid laser sensors". There are mice with laser sensors that have the same zero-accel/zero-prediction qualities that you expect to see from the top 2 optical sensors. The Mamba 3.5g's sensor without the firmware update is a solid example of a laser mouse that from a technical standpoint, is equally as sound, or even more sound than many popular optical counterparts. Unfortunately for the Mamba, it also boasts an incredible price tag. But barring the price, the sensor itself is fine.

The Intellimouse is decent, and it's very popular in the Counterstrike circles. Unfortunately, a lot of the reason that it is popular is due to amateurs copying what they see the pro's using. What they don't understand is that the pro's aren't using an Intellimouse because it has super secret pro-gaming qualities. They're using it because it was what they grew up with and when you're playing for a paycheck, you tend to stick to what is familiar and has gotten you to where you are.

I would bet if you and me had a chat about mice, keyboards and the growing market-hype, we would have very similar opinions on what is and isn't functional.
April 26, 2012 1:25:24 AM

I apologize ahead of time for offtop, but laser sensors vs optical sensors? laser isn't optical?
April 26, 2012 1:34:42 AM

AntiZig said:
I apologize ahead of time for offtop, but laser sensors vs optical sensors? laser isn't optical?

Optical is just the industry standard reference. Obviously lasers take a picture as well, for lack fo a better way to describe it.
April 27, 2012 11:57:20 PM

So if DPI isn't necessarily an issue, would the gigabyte mouse really not be a bad idea? Also I'm going to have to google win sens lol
April 28, 2012 12:05:06 AM

win sens is windows mouse sensitivity. 6/11 is default and doesn't add any acceleration or deceleration. Any higher or lower than 6 and windows adds increasing amounts of both phenomenon, depending on what setting you choose. Just leave it at default.
April 28, 2012 2:10:08 AM

i use the razer deathadder and it is amazing. the cyborg RAT mouses are also good. gameing key boards are also usefull. you can program macros in them and i find mine really helpfull when gaming
April 28, 2012 3:38:17 PM

I was using the Razer DA, but have recently been testing out a Microsoft intellimouse Explorer 3.0. So far so good. I still want to try out a g400. Probably going to sell the DA though.

Some shots of my Intellimouse 3.0

April 28, 2012 3:50:40 PM

For under $50, a Cyborg RAT 3
If you'll spend another $10-20
try a Cyborg RAT 7
But whatever you do, do NOT buy a Razer Imperator. Mine broke in a short three months and it was a terrible mouse besides.
April 28, 2012 9:32:51 PM

thing is the cyborg rat 3/5/7 have build quality issues. i know i have the 7 contagion which has a better sensor than the stock 7 but still has many of the same issues unless you get lucky and get the 1 in 5 that actually works as it should. it took 2 attempts for me to get the perfect specimen. so be prepared to send it back or return it to the shop if you have any of the following... mouse creep. where the mouse will move the pointer even when the mouse is stationary. like its picking up a vibration. excessive lift off.
if the mouse is still reading the surface even though your .5cm or higher above the mat. button creep.
when you click the mouse the pointer moves...
then theres just general build issues... anyways its up to you... personally i dont recommend the rat mice for the build quality reason alone... 1 in 5 working just isnt good enough.

April 29, 2012 12:52:22 AM

i am using a razer imperator. if you can get that i reccomend it.
i have been using it for a couple months and it is perfect.(exept for it being wired)
if you can find a g9x on sale go for it.
death adder is great too. doesnt have problems at all!
April 29, 2012 3:09:15 AM

I've had build quality issues with my death adder. First one the mouse feet were scraping on the pad. Not sure if the Teflon was scratched or what. Replacement fixed that. Second one has a weird left mouse click issue. Where it doesn't register the click or it sticks and to un-stick the "click" I have to hit the button again.
April 29, 2012 5:04:06 AM

Thank you guys for the opinions. From the sound of peoples opinions, the g400 sounds like a good bet. I'm gonna visit best buy to feel it out and if it's good then I'm gonna go for it. Close second is that gigabyte mouse (M6800). With both mice, what do I need as far as a mousepad, or do I need one? I play on a wood surface, and actually at the moment with my wireless mouse, I don't even use a mousepad. Haven't bought one since the mouse ball era haha. What do I need to know about mousepads for these mice?
April 29, 2012 7:00:12 AM

My MX518 has lasted me six years now and very accurate.
Unless you are on glass you don't need a mousepad. I use a very large one now that hangs over the edge of my desk about 1/4" but only because it is more comfortable on my wrist and palm when I'm resting my hand.
November 29, 2012 7:58:32 PM

This thread is hella old, but I saw this and I always see this and I hate this. r.a.t. cyborg mice hardly have ANY issues, they really are fantastic mice. Super comfortable, customizable, Look OP, perform great, the works. The only problems people seem to have with them is the mouse jumping around the screen/glitching a bit. there is a simple easy fix. Just put some alcohol on a q-tip and clean out the laser with it, follow up with a dry one. Do this every couple weeks. helps a ton, sometimes the q-tip comes out black! dont know how or why but it works/happens
November 29, 2012 11:15:03 PM

if you had bothered looking at my most recent posts you will see my opinion on my rat 7 has changed some what... they were legitimate comments when i first got my mouse at the end of last year but in that time i have grown to love it... it does still have manufacturing issues but 1s you get 1 that works which is more often than not now as they have sorted the quality control to a higher standard. you will find the mouse is in fact pretty decent and worth the money... most of the time i would say the vast majority of premium mice are more bells and whistles but the rat 7 contagion and infection are worth there premium price tag... so dont be so quick off the mark because over time people can change there minds as experience grows opinions change...
!