Overclocking Effects?

G

I am new to the OC world. I have read a great deal on it and see new possiblities for processing power. But I am wondering if any of you guys know of any long term negative effects from overclocking the CPU, condsidering proper cooling and good stability. Lifespan of CPU shortened? Other premature Mobo problems in longer run? Anything else you've run into?
Curious Overclocker,
EZ

G

Main thing is the life of the cpu. The hotter you run the less the life will be.

G

cranking up the voltage excessively high will also shorten the life of your cpu. not to mention shrink your penis. no wait, that was barry manilow LP's....oh well

AMD. It gets you chicks.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the thing is that a proccser is desinged to last 10 years so if you shorten the life a little it won't matter becuase almost noby will be using the same computter in 10 years, if anybody

G

thats the way i look at it too :)

although im thnking more like '1 year', but hey

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

Thanks for the feedback.... 10 years, sounds like I have to shave off a few. Pentium vs. AMD either one more durable in overclocking (I know TBird OCs better)? Any of you guys ever had a CPU actually die on you after reasonable overclocking before 4 years? Life cut in half or more? I don't want too short of one! Gettin chicks is hard enough as it is :)

EZ

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
with an intel you can only overclock the fsb which can lead to some problems.
form what i've heard the p3 700e is good for overclocking

with amd you can unluck the multipler ( if needed) then change the multipler
the duron 800 pretty much always oveclocks to a 1ghz
i'm not sure about the atholon

another thing to look at is the fact that amd is keeping the same socket all the way until 64 bit proccser next year. so you can get a new chip that while fit your computter if you do some how end up killing the chip

where as next genaration of p3s and p4 are all going to have new sockets with them so it while amker it harder to find a chip that fits your mobo if you end up killing the chip