  • Printers
  • Windows XP
a b α HP
May 20, 2004 8:10:49 PM

(I may have inadvertantly posted this on another
newsgroup)

I'm running a new system with XP Home with my old HP 5L
printer. Never had problems in Win98. Now, when I try
to print certain (more complex) pages from the web, or a
Word document with a lot of email hyperlinks, or most any
file with graphics or pictures, the printer goes to error
mode and either won't print at all or prints a few pages
of junk. Smaller, less involved web pages and Word
documents are no problem and print fine.

I have checked for driver updates from HP. There are
none.
I have reloaded the printer drivers. Problem persists.
I have replaced the printer cable to 1284. Problem
persists.
I installed an HP 4L for comparison, and encountered the
same problem.

Any new ideas on what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks

Joe T

More about : printer error selected documents

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 21, 2004 2:56:09 AM

Does this printer have an XP driver installed?

"Joe T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (I may have inadvertantly posted this on another
> newsgroup)
>
> I'm running a new system with XP Home with my old HP 5L
> printer. Never had problems in Win98. Now, when I try
> to print certain (more complex) pages from the web, or a
> Word document with a lot of email hyperlinks, or most any
> file with graphics or pictures, the printer goes to error
> mode and either won't print at all or prints a few pages
> of junk. Smaller, less involved web pages and Word
> documents are no problem and print fine.
>
> I have checked for driver updates from HP. There are
> none.
> I have reloaded the printer drivers. Problem persists.
> I have replaced the printer cable to 1284. Problem
> persists.
> I installed an HP 4L for comparison, and encountered the
> same problem.
>
> Any new ideas on what I can do to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe T

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 21, 2004 2:56:10 AM

Yes. I originally set it up with the HP 5L driver from
the XP install wizard. Had the problem. I then loaded
the original driver the printer came with. Same
problem. So I reinstalled the Windows XP driver again.
All with the same printer error results.

Joe

a b α HP
May 21, 2004 5:46:04 AM

Did you correctly uninstall them eact time? If you missed out on step 4,
you're still using the old corrupted drivers.
www.coribright.com

> Yes. I originally set it up with the HP 5L driver from
> the XP install wizard. Had the problem. I then loaded
> the original driver the printer came with. Same
> problem. So I reinstalled the Windows XP driver again.
> All with the same printer error results.
>
> Joe

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 21, 2004 5:31:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Actually, we DID try to get
updated drivers from the HP site. However, there are
none available for this printer (LaserJet 5L Xtra), under
either Windows XP or 2000 OS. I just went on their site
again and reverified this. Also tried other 5L models
with the same results - no drivers or software available.

Meanwhile, I deleted the current printer connections from
the Control Panel area, disconnected the actual printer
from the system, rebooted the system, and reconnected the
printer. The install wizard reconfigured the printer and
I am back where I started - printer errors on certain
type documents.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Hardware)

!