XP Home Fax utility

Hi I used to use the fax utility in xp home combined with my ordinary modem which is used for a standard dial up connection, with out any problems at all even running it through the ISDN connection I had put on later. ISDN treated this as if it was simply using the second ISDN line as you would to make a phone call while still connected to the internet simply just dropping the connection speed down to half while the line was in use. For one reason or another and possibly due to settings which where changed when setting up a network or access point through this system, I have now not only lost the abilty to use the fax even as a stand alone system disconected from that network or access point, but I can not even get windows to reinstall my fax utility using add remove, or any other method I can think off to reinstall it. It does have an Icon on the desk top, but when ever I attempt to open the fax utility I get an error message that relates to not having a windows shared fax driver. I am no longer conected to any network or is this pc hosting any access point any longer appart from the internet connection and I really need to get my fax facility working as it used to before I made any of those alterations or changes related to networking or access points for a wireless laptop.
It is almost as if something has corrupted the system and it wont even allow me to reinstall the utility even though this PC is now stand alone. I realise I need an anologue modem which I have and used quiet well through the ISDN connection before any of these things where altered or changed and I have no idea if I have mucked something up or checked some where in a box that is allowing the Fax utility to think it has to be shared over a network, I dont even know where to look to check something like that. I am no longer networked and I cant seem to get this to recogise that the system is stand alone and is not trying to share a fax facility which I also realise xp home does not the ability to do when networked. I cant even get the facility to open or allow me into its settings etc.

Can any one help or point me in the right direction of where to start looking to sort this mess out?

Cheers
Kaz
1 answer Last reply
More about home utility

    Did you try un-installing it? You can uninstall it from Add/Remove programs
    by unchecking the checkbox associated with Fax. You did mention trying to
    re-install but just wanted to make sure.

    If you can successfully un-install it, reinstall it again by checking the
    checkbox. You of course need the original CD from which you installed
    Windows.

    --
    Archan Das

    purposes only.

    "KAZ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I used to use the fax utility in xp home combined with my ordinary
    modem which is used for a standard dial up connection, with out any problems
    at all even running it through the ISDN connection I had put on later. ISDN
    treated this as if it was simply using the second ISDN line as you would to
    make a phone call while still connected to the internet simply just dropping
    the connection speed down to half while the line was in use. For one reason
    or another and possibly due to settings which where changed when setting up
    a network or access point through this system, I have now not only lost the
    abilty to use the fax even as a stand alone system disconected from that
    network or access point, but I can not even get windows to reinstall my fax
    utility using add remove, or any other method I can think off to reinstall
    it. It does have an Icon on the desk top, but when ever I attempt to open
    the fax utility I get an error message that relates to not having a windows
    shared fax driver. I am no longer conected to any network or is this pc
    hosting any access point any longer appart from the internet connection and
    I really need to get my fax facility working as it used to before I made any
    of those alterations or changes related to networking or access points for a
    wireless laptop.
    > It is almost as if something has corrupted the system and it wont even
    allow me to reinstall the utility even though this PC is now stand alone. I
    realise I need an anologue modem which I have and used quiet well through
    the ISDN connection before any of these things where altered or changed and
    I have no idea if I have mucked something up or checked some where in a box
    that is allowing the Fax utility to think it has to be shared over a
    network, I dont even know where to look to check something like that. I am
    no longer networked and I cant seem to get this to recogise that the system
    is stand alone and is not trying to share a fax facility which I also
    realise xp home does not the ability to do when networked. I cant even get
    the facility to open or allow me into its settings etc.

    > Can any one help or point me in the right direction of where to start
    looking to sort this mess out?

    > Cheers
    > Kaz

Fax Dial Up Connection Windows XP