CPU temperature?

G

I just got a new amd athlon at 900mhz with asus a7v kt133 mobo. I have installed the asus probe software to check the temp of the cpu. The temp of the cpu reads at 66 C and the mobo at 33 C after about 15-20mins is this the temperature it should be at? Btw the fan for the cpu is a coolermaster. Are there different programs I can use to read the temperature of the cpu and mobo, and where can I get it? Also how long is a cpu/computer expected to last?

Note: The Cpu is not overclocked, nor is anything else.

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Dude, 66c is way too hot for the chip. As long as it below 50 then it's ok. Mobo is a little hot too, but I think 33 is ok. If you can afford it, get a different hsf like global win 32 or 38 or Alphas' ( no orbs please). And use some T.I.M (thermal induction material). That should keep things kool.
Also check out the temp in the bios, the program in widoz might be wrong, but bios is usually accurate to 1/2 a degree.

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU MOUNTED THE HSF CORRECTLY!!!! This is the number one cause of hot cpus and cases, it is easy to get it backward and hencforth the little pad wont line on top of the cpu core: result, hot CPU. Check it again to be sure.

My name is Mud.

G

If you do a search on this board for "Asus Probe" you'll find that the consensus is that this software reads 10C over the actual value. Best bet is to leave the computer running for a while, then restart but go immediately to the BIOS. This gives the most accurate reading. I do think your CPU is running hot because I have a 1.2GHz T'Bird with the cooler master heat sink that seems to come with most athlons and my Asus Probe software reads 65C under heavy load. You might want to try removing the heat sink, cleaning off whatever thermal pad/paste is there and apply a little Arctic Silver. Your heat sink probably just isn't sitting right.

G

Mud,

How can one do that? What does one have to look out for, in order to make sure the HSF was installed correctly?

Stamatis