Printing prn files

I have a situation with HP LaserJet 1200 printers at two locations, 17 miles apart. I have been using these printers primarily in association with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Word. I have been exploring ways to get completed reports from one location to the other. Faxing with Norton Winfax Pro v10 using an HP Scanjet 4300C works but the print quality the other end is less than ideal. Emailing files as attachments works but if any "pictures" are enclosed it results in very large files being stored both ends. However, it overcomes the print quality problem.

Looking for a better way I discovered an option to print to file option. Testing I discovered that using this option deposits a prn files on the hard disk. However, I cannot work out how you then open these files and print them. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

~~~~

Gerry
7 answers Last reply
More about printing files

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Surprisingly, Windows does not provide a way to do this directly. One method
    is to use a command issued from a command processor prompt. To do this:

    For printers connected by parallel cable to parallel port:

    Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run. Then,
    type

    copy /b filename lpt1

    where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    c:\printerfiles\letter.prn

    Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as binary
    data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if certain
    ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the name of
    the printer port to which the printer connects.

    If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat more
    elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x
    systems but still applicable.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158081

    Tom
    MSMVP DTS

    Thanks Tom.

    Whilst I could work with your solutions they look way too complicated for my colleague at the present time. I think I may overcome my underlying problem by setting a Print Area in Excel.

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OGuH$24PEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have a situation with HP LaserJet 1200 printers at two locations, 17 miles
    > apart. I have been using these printers primarily in association with
    > Microsoft Word and Microsoft Word. I have been exploring ways to get
    > completed reports from one location to the other. Faxing with Norton Winfax
    > Pro v10 using an HP Scanjet 4300C works but the print quality the other end
    > is less than ideal. Emailing files as attachments works but if any
    > "pictures" are enclosed it results in very large files being stored both
    > ends. However, it overcomes the print quality problem.
    >
    > Looking for a better way I discovered an option to print to file option.
    > Testing I discovered that using this option deposits a prn files on the hard
    > disk. However, I cannot work out how you then open these files and print
    > them. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
    >

    > ~~~~
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > Surprisingly, Windows does not provide a way to do this directly. One method
    > is to use a command issued from a command processor prompt. To do this:
    >
    > For printers connected by parallel cable to parallel port:
    >
    > Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run. Then,
    > type
    >
    > copy /b filename lpt1
    >
    > where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    > c:\printerfiles\letter.prn
    >
    > Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as binary
    > data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if certain
    > ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the name of
    > the printer port to which the printer connects.
    >
    > If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat more
    > elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x
    > systems but still applicable.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158081
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP DTS

    What?

    I have no idea how setting a print area in Excel could relate to the problem
    of printing files created on one computer on another separated from it by 17
    miles.

    It's like falling asleep during a basketball game only to wake up during the
    3rd period of a hockey game.

    Tom Ferguson

    Thanks Tom.

    Whilst I could work with your solutions they look way too complicated for my
    colleague at the present time. I think I may overcome my underlying problem
    by setting a Print Area in Excel.

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have a situation with HP LaserJet 1200 printers at two locations, 17
    > miles
    > apart. I have been using these printers primarily in association with
    > Microsoft Word and Microsoft Word. I have been exploring ways to get
    > completed reports from one location to the other. Faxing with Norton
    > Winfax
    > Pro v10 using an HP Scanjet 4300C works but the print quality the other
    > end
    > is less than ideal. Emailing files as attachments works but if any
    > "pictures" are enclosed it results in very large files being stored both
    > ends. However, it overcomes the print quality problem.
    >
    > Looking for a better way I discovered an option to print to file option.
    > Testing I discovered that using this option deposits a prn files on the
    > hard
    > disk. However, I cannot work out how you then open these files and print
    > them. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
    >

    > ~~~~
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > Surprisingly, Windows does not provide a way to do this directly. One
    > method
    > is to use a command issued from a command processor prompt. To do this:
    >
    > For printers connected by parallel cable to parallel port:
    >
    > Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run. Then,
    > type
    >
    > copy /b filename lpt1
    >
    > where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    > c:\printerfiles\letter.prn
    >
    > Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as
    > binary
    > data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if certain
    > ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the name
    > of
    > the printer port to which the printer connects.
    >
    > If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat more
    > elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x
    > systems but still applicable.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158081
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP DTS

    Tom

    If you set a Print Area in Excel it only prints the area selected and ignores the remainder of the worksheet. Thus with Charts it will print the Charts and disregard the data inputs used to create the Charts. It means that a saved file sent to my colleague can be selected by just selecting File, Print.

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OaD$SuDQEHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > > is to use a command issued from a command processor prompt. To do this:
    > >
    > > For printers connected by parallel cable to parallel port:
    > >
    > > Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run. Then,
    > > type
    > >
    > > copy /b filename lpt1
    > >
    > > where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    > > c:\printerfiles\letter.prn
    > >
    > > Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as
    > > binary
    > > data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if certain
    > > ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the name
    > > of
    > > the printer port to which the printer connects.
    > >
    > > If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat more
    > > elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x

    Yes that does make sense. :-))

    But you see, you only mentioned Word in the post to which I replied but, in
    fairness, you did say _mostly_.

    I hope you find a satisfactory solution to the underlying problem; however,
    I doubt if a printer file is "it". While it can be printed on a target
    printer on the colleague's machine, the file size would be no reduction over
    the original Word file. As a test, I created a printer file for a complex
    142 KB Word document. The printer file is 12,45 KB.

    Depending on the operating system on the remote machine, it might be
    possible to print the file to that printer as if it were attached to yours.
    Have a look at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323428 .
    A VPN is another possibility.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323441

    Tom
    MSMVP DTS

> [...]

    > > Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run.
    > > Then,
    > > type
    > >
    > > copy /b filename lpt1
    > >
    > > where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    > > c:\printerfiles\letter.prn
    > >
    > > Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as
    > > binary
    > > data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if
    > > certain
    > > ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the
    > > name
    > > of
    > > the printer port to which the printer connects.
    > >
    > > If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat
    > > more
    > > elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x

    Tom

    Ah. A mistake in my first post where I intended to say "Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel". Sorry for the mental aberration.

    The machine at the office is Windows 98SE and we do not have any version of Windows Server. Norton PC Anywhere is a possibility. I was using it several years ago and intend to reactivate it for other reasons.

    Thanks for your continued interest.

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23hMR5LIQEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > > >
    > > > Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run.
    > > > Then,
    > > > type
    > > >
    > > > copy /b filename lpt1
    > > >
    > > > where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    > > > c:\printerfiles\letter.prn
    > > >
    > > > Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as
    > > > binary
    > > > data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if
    > > > certain
    > > > ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the
    > > > name
    > > > of
    > > > the printer port to which the printer connects.
    > > >
    > > > If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat
    > > > more
    > > > elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x

    If your thought is PC Anywhere, do check XP's "Remote Desktop" and "Remote
    Assistance" as well.

    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS
    PS The printer file size should have been stated as 12,458 KB,
    TF

> [...]

    > > > Open a command window by typing cmd in the slot in Start Run.
    > > > Then,
    > > > type
    > > >
    > > > copy /b filename lpt1
    > > >
    > > > where filename is the fully-qualified DOS path for the file. e.g.
    > > > c:\printerfiles\letter.prn
    > > >
    > > > Notes: The /b switch is necessary so that the file will be copied as
    > > > binary
    > > > data rather than ASCII. If the latter, the copy will terminate if
    > > > certain
    > > > ASCII printer control characters are encountered. Change LPT1 to the
    > > > name
    > > > of
    > > > the printer port to which the printer connects.
    > > >
    > > > If you plan to do this regularly, you might prefer something somewhat
    > > > more
    > > > elegant. Try the link immediately below. It was written for Windows 9x

Microsoft Word Hewlett Packard Windows XP