Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can I use Window 8 Pro ugrade on my Windows 7 Pro OEM?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
October 30, 2012 6:24:52 PM

I wonder if anyone knows the upgrade path to Windows 8 from my Windows 7 Pro OEM. Can I buy an upgrade package? Or do I have to buy another builder OEM for Windows 8? Thanks for all comments.
October 30, 2012 7:27:53 PM

you can do the upgrade - I just build a machine a few weeks back and just to set it up so i could overclock it, i installed win 7 ultimate, which i had already installed on my other gaming machine. Obviously, this was a copy for one PC only so it wasn't an activated copy of win7. I downloaded the upgrade version, copied it to a USB thumb drive and installed a new copy of win 8 that way. It did not save my applications though. In your case, since you have a licensed version you will be able to use the upgrade; whether it saves all of your progrms or files is another thing though. Probablyi most of them but I had to reload chipset features, some drivers, etc., so be prepared for issues.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2012 7:36:53 PM

You can use the upgrade assistant to download Windows 8. Keep in mind that it will give you an operating system based on yours, so if you have 32bit, you will get 32bit Windows 8; if you have 64bit, you will get 64bit.

I recommend using the upgrade assistant to download Windows 8 and make a boot capable Windows 8 DVD or USB drive(through the assistant) and do a clean install.

After you do a clean install, your key may or may not activate, but you can call MS technical support and they will activate it for you within minutes if it does not activate. For their contact information read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539
m
0
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 7:41:58 PM

battguano said:
you can do the upgrade - I just build a machine a few weeks back and just to set it up so i could overclock it, i installed win 7 ultimate, which i had already installed on my other gaming machine. Obviously, this was a copy for one PC only so it wasn't an activated copy of win7. I downloaded the upgrade version, copied it to a USB thumb drive and installed a new copy of win 8 that way. It did not save my applications though. In your case, since you have a licensed version you will be able to use the upgrade; whether it saves all of your progrms or files is another thing though. Probablyi most of them but I had to reload chipset features, some drivers, etc., so be prepared for issues.


Thanks. I ran the upgrade assistance, and found out a few problems on my laptop. I will soon run it on my build to see what happens. I will post the results here then.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 7:45:31 PM

edogawa said:
You can use the upgrade assistant to download Windows 8. Keep in mind that it will give you an operating system based on yours, so if you have 32bit, you will get 32bit Windows 8; if you have 64bit, you will get 64bit.

I recommend using the upgrade assistant to download Windows 8 and make a boot capable Windows 8 DVD or USB drive(through the assistant) and do a clean install.

After you do a clean install, your key may or may not activate, but you can call MS technical support and they will activate it for you within minutes if it does not activate. For their contact information read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539


How big should the thumb drive should be? I believe I have a 16GB USB thumb drive somewhere at home. Will that size be enough? Thanks for your comments. It may be easier to install W8 in my build since I don't have lots of software installed in the PC. It will be hard to install it on my Tosh laptop. Thanks for your comments.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2012 7:58:26 PM

orestesdd said:
How big should the thumb drive should be? I believe I have a 16GB USB thumb drive somewhere at home. Will that size be enough? Thanks for your comments. It may be easier to install W8 in my build since I don't have lots of software installed in the PC. It will be hard to install it on my Tosh laptop. Thanks for your comments.


4GB should be plenty enough. On your laptop, you can just to the normal upgrade route too.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 8:50:38 PM

edogawa said:
4GB should be plenty enough. On your laptop, you can just to the normal upgrade route too.


How about my PC build? Would 4GB be enough to hold the upgrade for my build? Thanks for the prompt response.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2012 9:10:54 PM

orestesdd said:
How about my PC build? Would 4GB be enough to hold the upgrade for my build? Thanks for the prompt response.



You can create a Windows 8 USB installer on any 4GB+ drive then use it as use please on both computers(of course you will need different Windows key-codes).

So you use the upgrade assistant to turn your USB drive into a Windows 8 installer, then you boot from the USB device and install Windows.

Is that what you wanted to know?
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 9:26:14 PM

edogawa said:
You can create a Windows 8 USB installer on any 4GB+ drive then use it as use please on both computers(of course you will need different Windows key-codes).

So you use the upgrade assistant to turn your USB key into a Windows 8 installer, then you boot from the USB device and install Windows.

I hoped that helped.


Yes, it does. So I guess I can use the same installer download (pay for 2 keys, a laptop key and a PC build key) since both systems are Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), and then deal with the inconveniences of installing new drives and software. I guess I should do a clean install. A clean install will be easier on my build since I don't use it as much as my laptop.

Right now I just ran the upgrade assistance on my build and it found out only 4 items to review. This is what the "compatibility details says:

01-ATI Catalyst Control Center - Reinstall in Windows 8
02-ATI Catalyst Install Manager - Reinstall in Windows 8

and nothing else. I just wonder where are the two other items which should have problems.

OK, someone suggested to buy the upgrade now for about $40.00 (actually $39.99), and then wait until later when all the software drivers are available. Anyhow, thanks for your comments.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2012 9:31:13 PM

Yes, you can, that will work great. Use the upgrade assistant on both computers to just get different keys just to be safe, but yes you can use the USB installer on both computers.

In regards to those compatibility issues, you just need to download and install the latest video drivers for your graphics card.
Any other drivers should be updated too like sound, but that's nothing major.

Anything in Windows 7 should work on Windows 8, at least 99% of stuff should.

Sometimes in Windows 8 something will pop up and say it won't work or something weird when you go to install a program, there will be a box that says "more info" when the bar appears, click it and press install anyway. It did that for two programs I had, but they work without issues.
Share
October 30, 2012 9:38:40 PM

I am unable to purchase the upgrade through the upgrade assistance. It did not accepted neither of my two credit cards. Is there a better way to do this?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2012 10:11:39 PM

orestesdd said:
I am unable to purchase the upgrade through the upgrade assistance. It did not accepted neither of my two credit cards. Is there a better way to do this?


Cheapest option is this if you can't buy through Microsoft: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3UR-00001-Windows-8-Pro...

That is strange it did not accept either card.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:04:13 PM

edogawa said:
Cheapest option is this if you can't buy through Microsoft: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3UR-00001-Windows-8-Pro...

That is strange it did not accept either card.


It did only not accept my card, but because I submitted the transaction twice, the account immediately posted two transactions for 39.99, which I already disputed with my bank. Do you know if amazon is charging only 39.99 too? I wish I could dispute these charges directly with M$!!! Anyhow I will take a look at amazon. Thanks.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 30, 2012 11:46:42 PM

battguano said:
you can do the upgrade - I just build a machine a few weeks back and just to set it up so i could overclock it, i installed win 7 ultimate, which i had already installed on my other gaming machine. Obviously, this was a copy for one PC only so it wasn't an activated copy of win7. I downloaded the upgrade version, copied it to a USB thumb drive and installed a new copy of win 8 that way. It did not save my applications though. In your case, since you have a licensed version you will be able to use the upgrade; whether it saves all of your progrms or files is another thing though. Probablyi most of them but I had to reload chipset features, some drivers, etc., so be prepared for issues.


This is illegal as you do not own a copy of windows 7 for the machine to upgrade
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 11:56:00 PM

unksol said:
This is illegal as you do not own a copy of windows 7 for the machine to upgrade


What are you talking about? I do own two LEGAL windows 7 pro 64-bit OS copies for both machines.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:06:06 PM

unksol said:
This is illegal as you do not own a copy of windows 7 for the machine to upgrade


I have the licensed win7 disc - it's NOT illegal to install it twice, the license just won't work for it. Once you install a version you have 20 days i think to activate the OS. After that, features stop working. Obviously, since I built the PC with the intention of installing win 8 on it upon it's release, I wasn't about to buy a win 7 license then turn around and buy win 8. I bought win 8 and installed it OVER the version that i installed, which i installed for testing purposes only so i am not using any unlicensed versions. In addition, I called microsoft support twice before installing win 7 and specifically asked about this.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 3:03:35 PM

battguano said:
I have the licensed win7 disc - it's NOT illegal to install it twice, the license just won't work for it. Once you install a version you have 20 days i think to activate the OS. After that, features stop working. Obviously, since I built the PC with the intention of installing win 8 on it upon it's release, I wasn't about to buy a win 7 license then turn around and buy win 8. I bought win 8 and installed it OVER the version that i installed, which i installed for testing purposes only so i am not using any unlicensed versions. In addition, I called microsoft support twice before installing win 7 and specifically asked about this.


Thank you for clarifying this. I don't really understand why that other user said it was illegal. I don't know what the heck he was talking about.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 3:09:43 PM

battguano said:
you can do the upgrade - I just build a machine a few weeks back and just to set it up so i could overclock it, i installed win 7 ultimate, which i had already installed on my other gaming machine. Obviously, this was a copy for one PC only so it wasn't an activated copy of win7. I downloaded the upgrade version, copied it to a USB thumb drive and installed a new copy of win 8 that way. It did not save my applications though. In your case, since you have a licensed version you will be able to use the upgrade; whether it saves all of your progrms or files is another thing though. Probablyi most of them but I had to reload chipset features, some drivers, etc., so be prepared for issues.


That violates the upgrade license agreement, just so you know.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:11:29 PM

egilbe said:
That violates the upgrade license agreement, just so you know.


What exactly violates the upgrade license agreement? Could you explain or be more specific with the details of the violation? Thanks.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 11:58:02 PM

I just found out that my laptop will not support "Secure Boot" in Windows 8. Is there a way to upgrade the firmware to use this feature? Shouldn't toshiba provide a firmware upgrade?
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 12:34:22 AM

orestesdd said:
What exactly violates the upgrade license agreement? Could you explain or be more specific with the details of the violation? Thanks.


Installing the same licensed copy on two different machines than using an upgrade license to activate one of the copies. All original keys and upgrades keys are supposed to stay with the original computer. Just because you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 does not free up Windows 7 to be used on another computer.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 2:03:07 AM

egilbe said:
Installing the same licensed copy on two different machines than using an upgrade license to activate one of the copies. All original keys and upgrades keys are supposed to stay with the original computer. Just because you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 does not free up Windows 7 to be used on another computer.


Each of my computers have their own product key, my Toshiba laptop and my own build. So I do not think I violate any license. In fact, I thought that if I upgrade my laptop, I will use product key from my laptop to do the upgrade the laptop. Then, I will do the same from my build with the OEM OS which also have its own key.
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 12:27:30 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 12:41:04 PM

How about downgrading?
If I have an W7 OEM license and I buy the upgrade to W8 can I legally revert back to W7 (on the same PC) if I don`t like W8 (and uninstall it)?
Will the initial OEM license key on the laptop activate W7 again?
m
0
l
!