Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Toothpaste as cooling-paste?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2001 12:28:22 PM

I spoiled my coolingpaste wich was packaged with my superorb. There is no shop in the neighbourhood wich sells coolingpaste & I want my computer working tonight.
Can anybody tell if I can use substances like toothpaste, hair-gel, Aftershave-gel, etc.

If you answer, please tell me if you have any experience with it, cause I don't want to burn or short-circuit my CPU.

BTW; got a duron 800
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2001 1:10:39 PM

I would not recommend any material be used other than a true Heatsink compound. Do you live in the US, and if so, go to Radio Shack, they sell it. Also any electronics repair shop would also have some as it is absolutely needed when working with transistors.
March 22, 2001 2:28:09 PM

That's outstanding to even consider using toothpaste. You'd want something that won't evaporate (i.e. water-based), and won't change it's viscosity/consistency too much.

The only thing I can think of is 90W gear oil. It's viscosity changes rather drastically, but never to an extreme. Other than that, you might try ivory soap or molasses.

I have absolutely no experience with any of these. Along the same lines, I will NEVER (in my lifetime) have any experience using these.
Related resources
March 22, 2001 4:58:00 PM

I would recommend very much against any of those!
All of those will most likely dry out and create air pockets. Worse than nothing.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2001 6:21:56 PM

is this a joke?
March 22, 2001 11:14:39 PM

No, I came up with those materials given the criteria he described. I really meant that I would never risk my $116 cpu with any of those. I use arctic silver, and wouldn't consider silicone gel unless held at gunpoint.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2001 11:17:54 PM

I was replying to japserus
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2001 4:37:29 AM

Wheel beiring grease would probably work well, it's made to hold a high viscosity at extreme heat (far more than a processor) and can be had with a Lithuim base (very good conductor). In fact it might just work better than silicon-I think I'll give that a try-my silicon is barely passable.

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2001 1:44:54 PM

Deodorent should work well. I would make sure you go with an antiperspirant, that why when you are in some heavy gaming action no one will see you sweat....

"Yesterday's solutions are Today's problems...."
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2001 3:03:49 AM

The lighted tail ends of 3 lightning bugs make an excellent conductor, but they fall apart and must be mixed thoroughly with a big glob of ear wax. If you have big ears you can use 4 as they must be mixed inside the ear to prevent premature oxidation!

<b><i>"Bad advice is expensive, Good advice is priceless"
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2001 5:48:55 AM

well, hair gel and aftershave and such have alcohol or other volotile compouns, so unde rheat they'll mostly evaporate and leave you with:
a. a layer of something that will probably carbonize and form an insulation layer
b. the air posckets from the vacuated space you're trying to avoid.

experiementation can be valuable, but before you use it on a cpu, i'd put some on a metal plate and then heat it up, liek with a low flame underneath, to see how the stuff responds to heat for an exteneded amount of time. that was you'll know if it will melt (and maybe drip onto the MB or something), carmelize (like molasses would), evaporate, or something else.
March 26, 2001 12:54:06 AM

I'm thinking this thread has gone entirely too far......
March 26, 2001 4:18:53 AM

I don't know - since they are so 'compatible' why don't you try brushing your teeth in Artic Silver and see i it works?

No - seriously, maybe Intel should hand out sticks of Wrigley's with their cpus instead of heat pads?

jeez...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2001 7:04:50 AM

You will want to use something with lots of sugar in it since sugar reacts well with heat. I've heard carmel is good but I prefer to melt pure sugar down and then apply it to the cpu, quickly stick on the heat sink and let it dry. After that your computer will never ever go below 90c.
March 26, 2001 3:03:12 PM

i think you guys embarrassed him, he hasnt replied yet...

My name is Mud.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 27, 2001 5:54:04 PM

Hey! You know, I tried brushing with Artic Silver, and my mouth and teeth were left with a clean and tingly feeling. Thanks for the tip guys!!!

And on a serious note... Anyone know where I can get a tube of Artic Silver II with no shipping charges? (That will send me the paste!?!)
I live in Canada and I cannot find the paste here.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2008 1:15:54 AM

YES...BELIEVE ME A TOOTHPASTE IS POSSIBLE FOR HEATSINK AND CPU AND I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS...IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION EMAIL ME AT caa_bmc@yahoo.com
December 12, 2008 3:13:27 AM

^ And you will replace our chips if it doesn't work?
December 12, 2008 5:19:52 AM

YER ITS KIND OF OBVIOUS HES A FAKER/***.
December 12, 2008 6:28:45 AM

Toothpaste? Thats crazy! Just use Dentu-Creme like i do.
December 12, 2008 6:42:52 AM

Spermicides work.
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 12, 2008 10:13:24 AM

To The OP

Since this is a resurrected thread some new member may take this seriously so;

Actually you could use the heatsink with no thermal compound at all, it wouldn't be as efficient but it would still work, thermal compound is only to fill the micro imperfections in the first place and aid the heat transfer, the heatsink actually does the work, not the thermal compound.

You'd be much better off to use nothing than some of the suggestions you've gotten here like bearing grease that could possibly damage the substrate, if it got on it!
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 12, 2008 10:22:48 AM

Crashman said:
Wheel beiring grease would probably work well, it's made to hold a high viscosity at extreme heat (far more than a processor) and can be had with a Lithuim base (very good conductor). In fact it might just work better than silicon-I think I'll give that a try-my silicon is barely passable.

Suicide is painless...........

Seeing as how you now do reviews for THG Crash, irresponsible posts like this are not good for those that may take you seriously, bearing grease could damage the CPU substrate if it got on it, and you of all people should know that.

And whats with the "Suicide is painless" comment?

This is not the Other Section!
December 12, 2008 3:55:26 PM

How dare you question the wisdom of the all knowing Crashman, Lord of the Forums,(blessed be his name) You better hope Zorg dont see this or you are really in trouble! :lol: 
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 12, 2008 5:50:03 PM

WOW I'm really scared now! What was I thinking!
December 12, 2008 6:42:22 PM

Quote:
YES...BELIEVE ME A TOOTHPASTE IS POSSIBLE FOR HEATSINK AND CPU AND I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS...IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION EMAIL ME AT caa_bmc@yahoo.com

Yet ANOTHER 7+ year old thread replied to by a 1 post stranger.

Won't SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN. :cry: 
December 13, 2008 6:28:55 AM

^err... yesssss....
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 14, 2008 2:26:05 PM

:D 
December 14, 2008 2:40:08 PM

i think people need to understand that even with out thermal paste the heatsink will still do its job but not as well.
December 14, 2008 6:02:54 PM

I blame Google (and low IQs) for all the thread necroing.
May 2, 2009 1:03:11 AM

Umm, I'd like to resurrect this post another time to say something. So I'm sorry if someone has a problem with this, but this page is still a result on Google.

I have tested Toothpaste as a TEMPORARY thermal paste. In fact, my cpu fan is sitting on toothpaste as I type this. (I can't go to the store today, needed something till then.)

I checked the temps in BIOS immediately after booting up, and my Processor was running at 50 ~ 52 C. (Normal for my slow fan)
After, I booted up windows xp and downloaded speedfan to check the temps while in use. I'm still getting temps around 54~55 C.

I wouldn't say to use it as an alternative, but if necessary, as a temporary replacement until the next day.
I read that another person tried it and advise to replace it every 45 min.
I've been running my cpu on the toothpaste for a little under an hour, while monitoring the temps, and it's still at 56 C.

The only problems are that it's temporary, and it is a little messy to clean off, but not too hard.

My processor is an Intel Pentium 4 (2.40 Ghz) running Windows XP Pro.
I don't know what temps it runs without any thermal paste.
May 2, 2009 11:13:21 AM

chrisp6825 said:
Umm, I'd like to resurrect this post another time to say something. So I'm sorry if someone has a problem with this, but this page is still a result on Google.

I have tested Toothpaste as a TEMPORARY thermal paste. In fact, my cpu fan is sitting on toothpaste as I type this. (I can't go to the store today, needed something till then.)

I checked the temps in BIOS immediately after booting up, and my Processor was running at 50 ~ 52 C. (Normal for my slow fan)
After, I booted up windows xp and downloaded speedfan to check the temps while in use. I'm still getting temps around 54~55 C.

I wouldn't say to use it as an alternative, but if necessary, as a temporary replacement until the next day.
I read that another person tried it and advise to replace it every 45 min.
I've been running my cpu on the toothpaste for a little under an hour, while monitoring the temps, and it's still at 56 C.

The only problems are that it's temporary, and it is a little messy to clean off, but not too hard.

My processor is an Intel Pentium 4 (2.40 Ghz) running Windows XP Pro.
I don't know what temps it runs without any thermal paste.

You're an idiot.

Do not use toot paste. Just run it with out anything until you buy some.
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 2, 2009 12:08:56 PM

mark_k said:
You're an idiot.

Do not use toot paste. Just run it with out anything until you buy some.

Mark, we are both idiots. You for even replying, me for saying your an idiot for replying.
May 2, 2009 8:06:35 PM

Toothpaste - KY jelly - olive oil - vaginal mucus - use your imagination.

just make sure it doesn't leak onto the motherboard.

for temporary use, a lot of things will work. preferably something that won't damage your computer parts & is easy to clean off.

i think i did use toothpaste once, it worked no problem - for a week. then i got a 22g tube of AS Ceramique, basically a lifetime supply.
May 2, 2009 9:12:42 PM

Conumdrum said:
Mark, we are both idiots. You for even replying, me for saying your an idiot for replying.

:lol: 

If it wasn't for the fluoride in the drinkig water, you would look like a National geographic poster boy. :lol: 

a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2009 12:09:40 PM

DAMN IT! Please DON'T BRING UP DEAD THREADS. I have seen like 30-40 in the last month and it's getting annoying.
May 5, 2009 2:34:33 PM

cooling-paste as toothpaste? mmmm.... :pt1cable: 
Yea this thread is ancient. I'd rather run with direct metal contact than with putting a sheet of fouride between my hsf and cpu. If you don't want to use thermal goo, lap your hsf and cpu, it's that simple. Or buy a low temp C2D/Atom and run a Coolermaster V10 on it, probably won't overheat then without any thermal paste :D 
May 5, 2009 2:37:27 PM

Shadow703793 said:
DAMN IT! Please DON'T BRING UP DEAD THREADS. I have seen like 30-40 in the last month and it's getting annoying.

that's cuz youre a "forum master" :lol: 
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 6, 2009 11:41:10 AM

Shadow has made many many many great helpful posts on Toms. We are glad to have him here. His post count dictates his title.

And have you folks heard about the new material for paste? No specific buyable stuff yet but it is on Wiki and sounds awesome.

Google "Unobtainium Wiki".
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2009 1:19:49 PM

I've never bought anything from a local shop as I find it cheaper (even with delivery) to go so somewhere like ebuyer and purchase from there. They have silver 5 for like a fiver I think.
May 7, 2009 4:24:07 PM

use colgate, then watercool it with listerine. That should work.
May 10, 2009 5:46:08 AM

what what? in the butt

thought i might join in the fun
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2009 8:45:10 AM

I read most of the comments and took them into consideration but I am actually using toothpaste as a cooler my cpu runs fine I leave it on for days and weeks at a time I will take pics and reply to this post. 3.2GHZ Processor 8 GB DDR2 3DVDRW 1BLU-RAY Burner
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2009 12:52:25 PM

:sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  Next please.
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 5, 2009 1:32:08 PM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
!