Toothpaste as cooling-paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I spoiled my coolingpaste wich was packaged with my superorb. There is no shop in the neighbourhood wich sells coolingpaste & I want my computer working tonight.
Can anybody tell if I can use substances like toothpaste, hair-gel, Aftershave-gel, etc.

If you answer, please tell me if you have any experience with it, cause I don't want to burn or short-circuit my CPU.

BTW; got a duron 800

G

I would not recommend any material be used other than a true Heatsink compound. Do you live in the US, and if so, go to Radio Shack, they sell it. Also any electronics repair shop would also have some as it is absolutely needed when working with transistors.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That's outstanding to even consider using toothpaste. You'd want something that won't evaporate (i.e. water-based), and won't change it's viscosity/consistency too much.

The only thing I can think of is 90W gear oil. It's viscosity changes rather drastically, but never to an extreme. Other than that, you might try ivory soap or molasses.

I have absolutely no experience with any of these. Along the same lines, I will NEVER (in my lifetime) have any experience using these.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I would recommend very much against any of those!
All of those will most likely dry out and create air pockets. Worse than nothing.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No, I came up with those materials given the criteria he described. I really meant that I would never risk my $116 cpu with any of those. I use arctic silver, and wouldn't consider silicone gel unless held at gunpoint.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wheel beiring grease would probably work well, it's made to hold a high viscosity at extreme heat (far more than a processor) and can be had with a Lithuim base (very good conductor). In fact it might just work better than silicon-I think I'll give that a try-my silicon is barely passable.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Deodorent should work well. I would make sure you go with an antiperspirant, that why when you are in some heavy gaming action no one will see you sweat....

"Yesterday's solutions are Today's problems...."

G

The lighted tail ends of 3 lightning bugs make an excellent conductor, but they fall apart and must be mixed thoroughly with a big glob of ear wax. If you have big ears you can use 4 as they must be mixed inside the ear to prevent premature oxidation!

<b><i>"Bad advice is expensive, Good advice is priceless"

G

well, hair gel and aftershave and such have alcohol or other volotile compouns, so unde rheat they'll mostly evaporate and leave you with:
a. a layer of something that will probably carbonize and form an insulation layer
b. the air posckets from the vacuated space you're trying to avoid.

experiementation can be valuable, but before you use it on a cpu, i'd put some on a metal plate and then heat it up, liek with a low flame underneath, to see how the stuff responds to heat for an exteneded amount of time. that was you'll know if it will melt (and maybe drip onto the MB or something), carmelize (like molasses would), evaporate, or something else.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I don't know - since they are so 'compatible' why don't you try brushing your teeth in Artic Silver and see i it works?

No - seriously, maybe Intel should hand out sticks of Wrigley's with their cpus instead of heat pads?

jeez...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

You will want to use something with lots of sugar in it since sugar reacts well with heat. I've heard carmel is good but I prefer to melt pure sugar down and then apply it to the cpu, quickly stick on the heat sink and let it dry. After that your computer will never ever go below 90c.

G

Hey! You know, I tried brushing with Artic Silver, and my mouth and teeth were left with a clean and tingly feeling. Thanks for the tip guys!!!

And on a serious note... Anyone know where I can get a tube of Artic Silver II with no shipping charges? (That will send me the paste!?!)
I live in Canada and I cannot find the paste here.

G

YES...BELIEVE ME A TOOTHPASTE IS POSSIBLE FOR HEATSINK AND CPU AND I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS...IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION EMAIL ME AT caa_bmc@yahoo.com

To The OP

Since this is a resurrected thread some new member may take this seriously so;

Actually you could use the heatsink with no thermal compound at all, it wouldn't be as efficient but it would still work, thermal compound is only to fill the micro imperfections in the first place and aid the heat transfer, the heatsink actually does the work, not the thermal compound.

You'd be much better off to use nothing than some of the suggestions you've gotten here like bearing grease that could possibly damage the substrate, if it got on it!

Seeing as how you now do reviews for THG Crash, irresponsible posts like this are not good for those that may take you seriously, bearing grease could damage the CPU substrate if it got on it, and you of all people should know that.

And whats with the "Suicide is painless" comment?

This is not the Other Section!

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
How dare you question the wisdom of the all knowing Crashman, Lord of the Forums,(blessed be his name) You better hope Zorg dont see this or you are really in trouble! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.