Is heat the only threat?

G

If i wanna overclock my P3 600EB (and if it already is very cool, doesn't go over 40 degrees at full-non-stop-6-hour use), is heat the only threat to my precious cpu? or might i wreck something else by o/c it to um... let's say... 155Mhz? (i am considering buying PC150 and putting my SY-6VCA mobo to it's 155Mhz top) And also... will my pci and agp components support the added speed?

"Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Pentabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."

G

oh and i forgot to say, my agp and pci components are:
ASUS AGP-V7700 32MB w/TV-out
SBLive!Value
D-Link 530TX (10/100 nic)
AOpen FM56-ITU/2 ISA 56k modem

"Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Pentabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well, there's only one way to find out!

On CPU heat - you'll _probably_ find you'll need to up the voltage in the core - a wise man once told me not to go over 1.85 - so I don't.

You may be lucky - but 155FSB is a lot. Probably more realistic without the SB an NIC. As for the modem...

Give it a go - you can obviously monitor your CPU temp so try and keep it no more than 45 degrees. You may need to take the side of the case off if your fan/case are not 1st rate.

I have a 733 running @ 148FSB (=814Mhz) with CAS2 memory setting. That's using Kingston Value RAM PC133 only rated CAS2 at 100MHZ!!!! (I think that's a reasonable bargain).

Good luck...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

well... um... maybe i will keep it a bit lower... cuz i really need my nic and sb :/ and as for the modem.................what?

and my memory seems to be able to go as fast as i want to... but anyway i'm not sure yet. and i CERTAINLY won't go over 1.85 cuz my cpu is only supposed to go at ... um... 1.65 i think (it's a P3...) and my mobo doesn't go over 5% increase in voltage...

but what i really meant was can i break something else by o/cing my cpu? like can i break my L1 cache by going too fast or is heat the only thing that can scrap it?

G

when you overclock the fsb you overclock pretty much everything and so you run the risk of damage to nearly everything, usually first to go are the sound card and nic's.

G

ok... thanks y'all

"Bit, Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Petabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."