Sign in with
Your question

Your definition of term "Hard-Core game"?

Last response: in Video Games
April 25, 2012 4:15:11 AM

So what is your definition of hard core games?

I read on places places across the net where some people write that hard-core games are games with lots of gore, blood and violence and i think they are very wrong.

To me hard-core game is game with depth and game that provides challenge. Game with big learning curve. Game that is not for everyone.Game that does not have a blinking dot on some minimap that tells you exactly where too go.Game without regenerating health bars.

For example i think pokemon games (on gameboy) are hard core.Zelda is hard core. Monster Hunter (ps2) is hard core.And i think Halo Gears,BF3,Skyrim,and CoD are absolutly not hard core (actualy most of shooters are't hard-core at all).

What do you thing what makes a game hard core?
April 25, 2012 8:00:07 AM

There is no such thing as a hardcore game. Games come across as more "hardcore" from a skill standpoint, to people who are inherently less skilled at that particular game. To me, RTS games have hardcore players, because I perceive them from the position of not being particularly fond nor talented in the genre. To a friend of mine who is one of the top masters players in SC2 in the US, fps games seem hardcore because he isn't naturally good at them. I'm very good at them and to me, they're a breeze to learn and a breeze to play, much the way that SC2 feels natural to him.

Between video games, it's all relative. The real answer is that nothing you can do from the comfort of your couch is very hardcore at all. Gaming is a hobby, no matter how seriously you take it.
June 20, 2012 1:47:57 PM

I think of hardcore more in terms of the people who play the games, "hardcore gamers". I suppose the games that keep those people really engrossed and involved could be referred to as "hardcore games".
Related resources
July 11, 2012 8:54:36 PM

the souls games, those are hardcore.
July 11, 2012 9:03:21 PM

Never heard the term used, but my first thought would be a game with rediculously high hardware requirements that you have to spend a small fortune to be able to play at descent settings, like Crysis when it first came out.
July 12, 2012 10:34:40 AM

hardcore gamers = expensive rigs + long playing hours. Well that's my definition...lol
July 12, 2012 4:02:25 PM

I'm going to second what casual colors explained. Hardcore game used to be a term to describe a good game that you could spend a lot of hours on. Today you just say "really cool" game. I believe it's slag/trend that changes with times. With that said there's a different concept known as hardcore gamers, those are typically people who are extremely dedicated to video gaming or some particular game in particular. In a way I guess you could infer that if a game has a large following of hardcore gamers then the game itself can be said to be hardcore. But that's all just semantics.
July 18, 2012 6:27:29 AM

AntiZig said:
I'm going to second what casual colors explained. Hardcore game used to be a term to describe a good game that you could spend a lot of hours on. Today you just say "really cool" game. I believe it's slag/trend that changes with times. With that said there's a different concept known as hardcore gamers, those are typically people who are extremely dedicated to video gaming or some particular game in particular. In a way I guess you could infer that if a game has a large following of hardcore gamers then the game itself can be said to be hardcore. But that's all just semantics.

yep, the souls games, those are hardcore.
July 18, 2012 11:19:13 AM

I would say its a game that you would not enjoy to just pick up and play as a 1 off like you can with many console games.
July 18, 2012 1:08:25 PM

what do you mean by "1 off"?
July 18, 2012 4:17:29 PM

I mean you would not want to play it for 30 mins when you are round you mates house as it most likely takes that long to learn how to play it.
July 19, 2012 12:16:54 AM

axew said:
So what is your definition of hard core games?

I read on places places across the net where some people write that hard-core games are games with lots of gore, blood and violence and i think they are very wrong.

To me hard-core game is game with depth and game that provides challenge. Game with big learning curve. Game that is not for everyone.Game that does not have a blinking dot on some minimap that tells you exactly where too go.Game without regenerating health bars.

For example i think pokemon games (on gameboy) are hard core.Zelda is hard core. Monster Hunter (ps2) is hard core.And i think Halo Gears,BF3,Skyrim,and CoD are absolutly not hard core (actualy most of shooters are't hard-core at all).

What do you thing what makes a game hard core?

Dark Souls for sure. The only hardcore game out there that defines HARDCORE perfectly.
July 22, 2012 5:26:29 PM

Besides the Demon Soul and Dark Soul games... Day Z is pretty hardcore.
July 24, 2012 6:00:52 AM

lucarai said:
Dark Souls for sure. The only hardcore game out there that defines HARDCORE perfectly.

yup, those souls games, like i said. they do happen to be quite hardcore.
July 24, 2012 9:09:38 AM

I'd say there aren't hardcore games. There are only hardcore players, who are the elite players who beat the game first in the world.
July 24, 2012 2:52:10 PM

Games today are no more hardcore than others IMO. Certainly, some games will have a more significant learning curve than others (EVE Online as opposed to WoW or Falcon 4.0 compared to Battle of Britain) But the learning curve is just that, a learning curve. Games aren't developed, ever, to be labled 'hardcore' or not.

What makes a game 'hardcore' or not is the gamer who is playing it. You can take the most simple of games like Peggle and find someone who has taken it to a whole new level. Not just by their score or unlocks, but in how they address the game. Analyzing each 'map' to determine the most efficient way to clear it. Or examine to the most minute detail the difference between using a long 88mm gun on a Tiger in World of Tanks as opposed to the 'Short 88' and its effects and which ammo to use and when best to use it.

Any game can be hardcore. It's the player that defines it as such.
July 24, 2012 7:30:26 PM

Casual Games vs Hardcore Games
August 4, 2012 4:32:09 AM

Hardcore games - Games which makes you forget you have a SOCIAL LIFE too : )
!