Your definition of term "Hard-Core game"?

axew

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
So what is your definition of hard core games?

I read on places places across the net where some people write that hard-core games are games with lots of gore, blood and violence and i think they are very wrong.

To me hard-core game is game with depth and game that provides challenge. Game with big learning curve. Game that is not for everyone.Game that does not have a blinking dot on some minimap that tells you exactly where too go.Game without regenerating health bars.

For example i think pokemon games (on gameboy) are hard core.Zelda is hard core. Monster Hunter (ps2) is hard core.And i think Halo Gears,BF3,Skyrim,and CoD are absolutly not hard core (actualy most of shooters are't hard-core at all).

What do you thing what makes a game hard core?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
There is no such thing as a hardcore game. Games come across as more "hardcore" from a skill standpoint, to people who are inherently less skilled at that particular game. To me, RTS games have hardcore players, because I perceive them from the position of not being particularly fond nor talented in the genre. To a friend of mine who is one of the top masters players in SC2 in the US, fps games seem hardcore because he isn't naturally good at them. I'm very good at them and to me, they're a breeze to learn and a breeze to play, much the way that SC2 feels natural to him.

Between video games, it's all relative. The real answer is that nothing you can do from the comfort of your couch is very hardcore at all. Gaming is a hobby, no matter how seriously you take it.

jtl2901

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I think of hardcore more in terms of the people who play the games, "hardcore gamers". I suppose the games that keep those people really engrossed and involved could be referred to as "hardcore games".

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Never heard the term used, but my first thought would be a game with rediculously high hardware requirements that you have to spend a small fortune to be able to play at descent settings, like Crysis when it first came out.

I'm going to second what casual colors explained. Hardcore game used to be a term to describe a good game that you could spend a lot of hours on. Today you just say "really cool" game. I believe it's slag/trend that changes with times. With that said there's a different concept known as hardcore gamers, those are typically people who are extremely dedicated to video gaming or some particular game in particular. In a way I guess you could infer that if a game has a large following of hardcore gamers then the game itself can be said to be hardcore. But that's all just semantics.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

yep, the souls games, those are hardcore.

lucarai

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Dark Souls for sure. The only hardcore game out there that defines HARDCORE perfectly.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

yup, those souls games, like i said. they do happen to be quite hardcore.

Ro0ster

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Games today are no more hardcore than others IMO. Certainly, some games will have a more significant learning curve than others (EVE Online as opposed to WoW or Falcon 4.0 compared to Battle of Britain) But the learning curve is just that, a learning curve. Games aren't developed, ever, to be labled 'hardcore' or not.

What makes a game 'hardcore' or not is the gamer who is playing it. You can take the most simple of games like Peggle and find someone who has taken it to a whole new level. Not just by their score or unlocks, but in how they address the game. Analyzing each 'map' to determine the most efficient way to clear it. Or examine to the most minute detail the difference between using a long 88mm gun on a Tiger in World of Tanks as opposed to the 'Short 88' and its effects and which ammo to use and when best to use it.

Any game can be hardcore. It's the player that defines it as such.

asye288

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Casual Games vs Hardcore Games
scaled.php