Compaq Presario 1200

I have a 1200 power problem. When I plug in the adapter the a/c light comes
on, does not show the battery being charged and will not power up. I bought
a new voltage regulator board and have the same problem. I t did, however,
charge the battery once, but still did not boot.
All constructive input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gene
5 answers Last reply
More about compaq presario 1200

    I have just started using the newsgroups. After I posted this question I
    looked through some more of the posts and found where this problem has been
    posted. They also left this link,
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=36917
    and I will pass it on too.
    I can't beleive that HP knows of this problem, can't and won't fix it and
    STILL hosts a forum on their site. I have a Presario 7470 and the 1200, not
    sure if I'll buy another if they can't fix this.

    Gene Hoffman wrote:
    > I have just started using the newsgroups. After I posted this
    > question I looked through some more of the posts and found where this
    > problem has been posted. They also left this link,
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=36917
    > and I will pass it on too.
    > I can't beleive that HP knows of this problem, can't and won't fix it
    > and STILL hosts a forum on their site. I have a Presario 7470 and the
    > 1200, not sure if I'll buy another if they can't fix this.
    > "Gene Hoffman" <saranaclake@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a 1200 power problem. When I plug in the adapter the a/c
    >> light comes on, does not show the battery being charged and will not
    >> power up. I bought a new voltage regulator board and have the same
    >> problem. I t did, however, charge the battery once, but still did
    >> not boot. All constructive input is greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks, Gene

    HP...forums... HP has a history of closing their product support forums
    when the crowd gets unruly about failing performance.

    > I have just started using the newsgroups. After I posted this question I
    > looked through some more of the posts and found where this problem has
    been
    > posted. They also left this link,
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=36917
    > and I will pass it on too.
    > I can't beleive that HP knows of this problem, can't and won't fix it and
    > STILL hosts a forum on their site. I have a Presario 7470 and the 1200,
    not
    > sure if I'll buy another if they can't fix this.
    > "Gene Hoffman" <saranaclake@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >I have a 1200 power problem. When I plug in the adapter the a/c light
    comes
    > >on, does not show the battery being charged and will not power up. I
    bought
    > >a new voltage regulator board and have the same problem. I t did,
    however,
    > >charge the battery once, but still did not boot.
    > > All constructive input is greatly appreciated.
    > > Thanks, Gene

    Thanks for the link. This thread goes on forever. Interesting but sad and
    Compaq should have had a recall years ago. Mine had a bad disk drive, very
    common too, but Compaq fixed it under warranty after I bitched about it for
    a week. Now, out of warranty, it won't charge and the touchpad locks up but
    boot up OK. I wonder if this is a preliminary indication to the no boot
    deal. Anyway, I have a 1216US and waiting for the battery charger board to
    come in next week. I had it open up last week and blown out all the dust,
    re-installed the cpu with heatsink compound and checked all the
    inter-connections. Should have replaced the CMOS battery, but I get another
    shot next week with the charger board.

    Yep - Had one just like it, replaced the battery board and modem - did show
    signs of life and recognized the presence of the battery, even after a power
    button reset, it still wouldn't boot. I'd bought a new motherboard for it,
    but really didn't feel up to the challenge - sold it sans hard drive as a
    non-working machine, put the money into my Dell fund (purchased Inspiron
    1150 - $200 off + free shipping; 40GB HDD, 2.6Ghz, 384MB RAM, etc...), and I
    don't have to deal with HP anymore. If someone needs a 12xl125 MB for $50
    shipped (within the continental USA), let me know - I've got a like-new one
    in the box.

    If you're looking for a battery board or modem board, I have one of each
    that are new, one of each that I pulled from the old machine - and am unsure
    as to the actual condition (since replacing them didn't cure the problem)

    I also have a battery for a 1600 (I suspect) that is identical to the one in
    the 12xl125 and holds a charge

    John

    John M. Thomas wrote:
    > Yep - Had one just like it, replaced the battery board and modem -
    > did show signs of life and recognized the presence of the battery,
    > even after a power button reset, it still wouldn't boot. I'd bought a
    > new motherboard for it, but really didn't feel up to the challenge -
    > sold it sans hard drive as a non-working machine, put the money into
    > my Dell fund (purchased Inspiron 1150 - $200 off + free shipping;
    > 40GB HDD, 2.6Ghz, 384MB RAM, etc...), and I don't have to deal with
    > HP anymore. If someone needs a 12xl125 MB for $50 shipped (within the
    > continental USA), let me know - I've got a like-new one in the box.
    >
    > If you're looking for a battery board or modem board, I have one of
    > each that are new, one of each that I pulled from the old machine -
    > and am unsure as to the actual condition (since replacing them didn't
    > cure the problem)
    >
    > I also have a battery for a 1600 (I suspect) that is identical to the
    > one in the 12xl125 and holds a charge
    >
    > John
    > "Gene Hoffman" <saranaclake@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I have just started using the newsgroups. After I posted this
    >> question I looked through some more of the posts and found where
    >> this problem has been posted. They also left this link,
    >> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=36917
    >> and I will pass it on too.
    >> I can't beleive that HP knows of this problem, can't and won't fix
    >> it and STILL hosts a forum on their site. I have a Presario 7470 and
    >> the 1200, not sure if I'll buy another if they can't fix this.
    >> "Gene Hoffman" <saranaclake@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have a 1200 power problem. When I plug in the adapter the a/c
    >>> light comes on, does not show the battery being charged and will
    >>> not power up. I bought a new voltage regulator board and have the
    >>> same problem. I t did, however, charge the battery once, but still
    >>> did not boot.
    >>> All constructive input is greatly appreciated.
    >>> Thanks, Gene

    Never, ever, post with a real email address or anything resembling your
    user account name in the header. You will be inundated with spam
    containing who knows what malware packages.

Compaq Battery Presario Computers