T-bird 800 o/c'ed to 735?!?!

G

what am i doing wrong? i have a t-bird 800 i'm trying to o/c to over 1 Ghz but i can't seem to do it. i've increased the cpu voltage and i/o voltage to the max (with no mods, only jumpers) and the highest i seem to get to is 945 mhz (9.0 x 1.05). the funny thing is sometimes this boots up at 735 mhz. am i doing something drastically wrong or did i just get stuck with a bad chip?

this is my current setup:
AMD T-Bird 800
Asus A7V133
256 MB ram (micron)
Radeon 32 DDR
IBM DeskStar 45 GB
3Com ethernet card
Sony burner

my cpu temp is around 54.5 C on this setup.

please help...

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i can't get my 800 past 989, or around there somewhere.

i'm running now at 7.0 x 133 (933)

from what you wrote, i believe you didn't unlock your processor. You should unlock it and run the fsb at least to 133, that's what the moboard is made to do (a7v133 right?)

Thus, lower your multiplier to compensate to get the default speed of 800. Then start to ramp up multiplier, you'll probably get around 7.0 to 8.0, depending on yoru luck.

But definintely run a 133 fsb.

hope that helps

I wish I had a signature.

G

thanks for the reply. i hadn't thought of lowering my multiplier and trying to approach 1Ghz. i had my chip unlocked, i believe, i used the defogger technique so i'm fairly sure its unlocked. but i tried 7.0 x 133 and it booted just fine the first time, the second time however i needed to reinstall the drivers for my video card, hard disk controller and basically it was a nightmare. but overall i like it better than my 9.0 x 105 setup i had earlier with the jekyll and hyde, sometimes 945 mhz, sometimes 735 mhz identity crisis. this setup seems to be a bit more stable. something i did notice though was my cpu temp increased under the 7.0 x 133 setup. i'm at 59C, up from 54.5C. i tried 7.5 x 133 but it wouldn't get past the windows logo. i just wish i could make 1 Ghz just to make my psyche feel much better. does OS make a difference perhaps? i'm using WinME. is this happening to anyone else than just me who can't get their TBird 800 to 1 Ghz? i thought this was supposed to be a lock. any ideas gentlemen?

oh well.

AMD T-Bird 800
Asus A7V133
256 MB ram (micron)
Radeon 32 DDR
IBM DeskStar 45 GB
3Com ethernet card
Sony burner
WinME OS

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm... that's weird...

you'll find if you get a chance to do some benchmarks that the 133 fsb is alot better, as i'm sure you already know.

That's weird that you had to re-install all those drivers...
It shouldn't matter if you just upped the speed.

Strange...

What cpu voltage are using?

to get to 1Ghz, you'll need to do 1.85 most likely.

Still, my 800 would not hit 1Ghz no matter what. I could do 950 easily at 1.775 vcore, but not 1Ghz, even at 1.85.

G

the cpu voltage, on SiSandra, says i'm at 1.9V, above what the motherboard settings are at. i have the jumpers set at 1.825V/1.85V, so i'm not sure what to believe. how did you get 950? 9.5 x 100? because i can't post that. and i've been trying on and off to get 1 Ghz but to no avail. kind of disheartening. but thank you for helping and i really do like the 7.0 x 133 setting much better. thanks again.

my quest to 1 Ghz would have been a lot easier if i just would have shelled out the extra $70. but i won't give up. maybe if i don't find something i might try the voltage tweak that's mentioned. i know it seems trivial, since i'm so close anyway, but there's something to be said about that magic number.

G

just to let you know your 989 post really got me into my manual (god forbid) and i started to do some tweaking with the 7.0 multiplier. i got it up to as high as 994 (7.0 x 142). it started up windows and it ran great. unfortunately, i had to make sure it would happen again so i rebooted, then my worst nightmare happened again. i lost all my drivers. i thought about it for a while and i think the reason this happens to me is because i'm using Windows ME. my theory is since i reformatted my HD this afternoon in hopes for minimizing complications with my O/C experiment the automatic system restore has nothing to restore except how it was born. like an innocent infant with no knowledge of drivers whatsoever. brings a tear to my eye. but with a little more experimentation i found that 973 (7.0 x 139) is stable and i'm going to let it burn in (which i should have done at 994).

i was so close. i could taste it. from 142 fsb to 143 fsb. unfortunately, my comp won't even post at 143. hopefully, the burn in process will enable me to raise the fsb to 143 and finally obtain 1.001 Ghz. if i can't obtain it i might have to do some drastic measures. like voltage mods and extreme cooling. oh and my cpu temp is holding pretty steady at 60.5C. i've read that tbirds will be okay up to 90C so hopefully its not just a bunch of rumors.

of course, none of this would be possible without your suggestion about reducing the multiplier and increasing the fsb. i would have been pulling my hair out by now. so thanks again. i'll be sure to post and update my progess (hopefully).

on my way...

AMD T-Bird 800
Asus A7V133
256 MB ram 133(micron)
Radeon 32 DDR
IBM DeskStar 45 GB
3Com ethernet card
Sony burner
WinME OS

G

54.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy [-peep-].... The highest my TBird 800@1008 has EVER reached is 38C! Get a new HSF! And, some clean material for your install. 54.5 is the highest temp I've heard yet! I'm using the MC462 with Artic Silver 2 Compound. I have an old skewl KT7 and TBird 800. It kicks ass though and my screen shots will be available soon.

KT7, TBird 800@1008, 9x112
Swiftech MC462

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

You might run your CPU until 90 degrees, but I expect you can figure on seriously damaging it long term. Heat catalyses changes in substances, especially if they are also conducting electricity. That's why a good heat sink is needed.

I'd say if you want your system to run longer than a year or two, get the cpu below 50 degrees.

My take on this... (under load temps)

under 30 - probably using active cooling - very serious
30-40 degrees, pretty serious o/c setup
40-45 degrees, a pleasant running system, good cooling.
45-50 degrees, running a bit warm, okay for intermittent testing.
50-60 degrees, okay, it booted, now let's turn this sucker off.
60 degrees+, why didn't you turn it off last itme?

Seriously - buy a decent HSF and install it well. $50 will save you $150 on a new CPU.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

If it's any help, I suspect you had to reinstall your drivers cos windows detected a corrupt registry and went back to a previous one. i.e. you're going too fast!

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, i agree with the others... i didn't even see your temps listed...oops

my temps are 28 idle (i have a ridiculous amount of fans) and i've never ever seen it go above 38 C (using motherboard moniter 5.04)

So what kind of cooling do you have? tell us all, hsf with or with out thermal grease, and how many case fans and their locations.

Nice job on the 994 though.....but i wouldn't run that high if I were in the 60's

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
guys, the thing to remember about socket a motherboards is that almost ALL of them have slightly incorrect thermal sensors. either they arent in contanct with the processor or they return information that is a little bit off. let these temps serve as a general guide, because they are close, but dont bet on them being dead on.

My name is Mud.