Add Print Wizard - Not there

thom

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003

When I go to the control panel and click on printers and
faxes, nothing shows. When I click on "Add Printer"
nothing happends. Same for under the File Menu click on
Server Properties still nothing. Its like the "Add Printer
Wizard" is gone. I have tried all kinds of stuff and
looked over the net and can't find an answer. I have tried
making sure that the only files (.dll) in the Windos
directory are Twain_16.dll or vmmreg.32.dll and Twain.dll.
Can anyone help in telling me what happend to me "add
printer wizard" Thanks.

Scott

I'm in the same boat. When I open the "Printers and
Faxes" window, there are NO icons (no Add Printer icon,
either). Nothing happens when I click the Add a printer
link on the left-hand side.

I am logged in as Administrator.

I can print from most of my apps. Internet Explorer for
example, allows me to use the Print button on the button
bar. When I use the File, Print... option, I get the
following error message:

"An error occurred during this operation"

Also, I can't use any printing links within web sites.

thom

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003

I have been looking all over for a fix for this and can't
seem to find one, short of possible installing XP all over
again. However, I have no problem printing from
applications or choosing the printer I want from the
application. Everything else seems normal. Go figure. I
need to change a port setting and the only way yu can do
this is from "properties" in the Printers and Fax. Now
what do I do. I there an alternative way, that I do not
notice. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Great news!

My buddy found a site somewhere that describes the fix.
Open a Command window and type:

sfc /scannow

It will look like nothing is happening, then a small
dialog box will appear prompting you to put in your XP
CD. Do so, but DON'T click the Retry button...just leave
the machine go.

This worked perfectly the first time for my buddy (same
problem as us), but didn't for me. I decided to reboot
(start with a clean slate). After rebooting, I thought I
should check to see if anything happened and, sure
enough, everything was back to normal (even though it
appeared not to work.

Good luck!

I'm having the same problem! I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if
that does it... Thanks for the idea. Jeff
"Scott" <pvz11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Great news!
>
> My buddy found a site somewhere that describes the fix.
> Open a Command window and type:
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> It will look like nothing is happening, then a small
> dialog box will appear prompting you to put in your XP
> CD. Do so, but DON'T click the Retry button...just leave
> the machine go.
>
> This worked perfectly the first time for my buddy (same
> problem as us), but didn't for me. I decided to reboot
> (start with a clean slate). After rebooting, I thought I
> should check to see if anything happened and, sure
> enough, everything was back to normal (even though it
> appeared not to work.
>
> Good luck!

Well, that did not fix my problem, I'm still trying to get the printer to be
recognized, I guess I'll just have to get into the registry and start a
manual uninstall....... Anyone got any better ideas????
Jeff