Upgrade Laptop to XP Pro?

I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't do
it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Is their claim
possible?

Thanks in advance... Bob
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade laptop

    Nope. Core is the same. XP Driver is an XP Driver.

    Having said that, what they likely meant was "If you do it, don't count on
    any support from us -- you're on your own"
    "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
    > upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
    > do
    > it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Is their claim
    > possible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance... Bob

    The favorite line was "Compaq does not support that", meaning usually that
    Compaq had not tested that option and, as Tom says, would not support you with
    any additional tech support or help if you proceed with that option....

    But their position did not mean that the option wasn't possible or that it
    would not work just fine.

    Dale

    It'll work fine as the others noted. You will get Operating System tech
    support from Microsoft instead of Compaq, that's all.
    HH

    "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
    > upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
    do
    > it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Is their claim
    > possible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance... Bob

    Different cores for the same OS?? Somehow I can see Microsoft doing that
    just to get more money from the consumer.

    Actually, you also can look at it the other way. Since XP Home is perfectly
    suitable for a vast majority of home users, MS is giving a break by offering
    the same core performance at lower cost.
    HH

    "TheGarbageGuy" <t5bos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Different cores for the same OS?? Somehow I can see Microsoft doing that
    > just to get more money from the consumer.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Actually, you also can look at it the other way. Since XP Home is perfectly
    suitable for a vast majority of home users, MS is giving a break by offering
    the same core performance at lower cost.
    HH

    Good Point HH.........Never entered my mind

Compaq Laptops Windows XP Computers