Why am i lagging on games that i ahould be able to play just fine

trouthat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I have a Toshiba QOSMIO x775-3dv80 and recently i have been really lagging playing some games. When i play Sins of a Solar Empire Trilogy two of the three freze every 5 seconds, team fortess 2 lag so bad its really unplayable, minecraft still lags after upgrading from another conputer, and very recently League of Legends has been lagging really bad. Normaly league would repest the anouncer 6 or so times. Also EVE online plays great untill i target something during pvp or someone jumps into where i am. I know that my computer should be able to handle each of these games great. But even idling something is eating around 20-30% of my ram. I think it is svchost.exe but im not supposed to turn that off right? My BIOS and all my drivers are up to date. Any ideas?

your lappy is reasonable for the price, if a little low end for gaming. the problem your having likely stems from overheating. get some compressed air and blow it through the vents and hopefully that will be enough.
to see if your having thermal issues get speed fan or similar and gpu-z. run both while you play and keep an eye on the max temps... normally 10-15 mins will be enough to get both cpu and gpu up to there max temps for that game...
if it is a cooling issue then all you can do is clean it out every 3 or so months.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
must be heat issues, your lappy should be capable enough for those games. and clean the inside of course, oh btw try ccleaner or something similar then use some scanner of whatever you have and some disk cleanup or something. I do these stuff monthly on my system, makes me sleep better.

trouthat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I have done ccleaner and when I played tf2, speed fan said that CPU 0,4,6 and sometimes 7 would max out. The most often would be CPU 6. And just today my computer has stopped registering that in typing and instead using them as hotkeys. I have to restart to fix it

blackmidian

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Don't forget that certain processes in windows constantly require and forcefully get disk acces, for example searchindexer.exe and some other processes.
Also what´s the amount of RAM in your laptop? sometimes getting a bit more can make a world of difference.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

I agree that your laptop could be suffering from a heat issue but don't discount software / drivers either. The fact you have cleaned things out and have some improvement can't cancel out other problems. You can't upgrade your laptops fans but have you considered a cooling stand.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=laptop+cooler&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1435&bih=753&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8736740629945328675&sa=X&ei=i1CaT8-BFsbq0QHU5umeDw&ved=0CJYBEPMCMAA

Most laptops draw their air from underneath and chuck the hot air out the side or back. It's the closeness to desk (especially if you've lost your rubber feet) that doesn't help with decent airflow. The cooling stand will help.

I agree your system should be well capable of playing those games without lagging.
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 8GB DDR3 1333MHz memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M (3D vision) 1.5GB GDDR5 discrete graphics memory

You have to remember thought, although it's called a GTX 560M, it is not the equivalent of its desktop namesake and will not perform nearly as well.

Fire up Task Manager and check out the Performance tab with your computer idling. There should be little to no activity on any of your cores. In fact your overall CPU usage should be around 2% or less on your i7. If not you will have to go on the hunt for the offending program. Use Task Manager / Processes / Show processes from all users and find the one using you CPUs resources.

scan your pc with malwarebytes and avira free.
that symptom is indicative of malware.

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
trout go through your start-up in msconfig processes and disable the things you don't need. Then go through and uninstall all the bloatware on the system that it came with. After that check your running processes again using task manager. If you are using more than 15% of your system ram you've got something in your system be it a virus or just some weird bloatware eating your system resources.

Divakar Choudhary

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
try some software and tricks
application
advanced system care software download install run scan and in turbo boost menu try the new gaming mode and use asc power mode
some useful tricks
1.go to task manager turn off unnecessary processes
2.go to start>run type msconfig.exe>hit enter
in start up tab disable apps u use frequently
in service tab click the box hide microsoft services and then disable services also
3.defragment your disk regularly
(optional)try ready boost go to the link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/fe...
this will help you

TRENDING THREADS