Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Printer spool not running

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:14:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Okidata C5100 laser printer

No matter what I try and do - add a printer, delete a
printer - set preferences I get the same error message:
Print spool service not running.
Unable to perform operation.

Also when I go through "XP Service" and enable (start)
print spool nothing happens.

I have tried deleting the files in the registry key like
Microsoft Knowledge base has said to. Then I try to use
the command prompt to "net start spooling," but nothing
happens when I hit enter and I can't type anything
anymore. I also can't add a printer because it
says "operation could not be completed" What else can I
try?

More about : printer spool running

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Go to the command prompt, and type

net start spooler

What is the error message that appears if it does not start?

--
Cari
MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
www.coribright.com
"Hueb5" <loishughes1@cs.com> wrote in message
news:115c301c441aa$363475f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Okidata C5100 laser printer
>
> No matter what I try and do - add a printer, delete a
> printer - set preferences I get the same error message:
> Print spool service not running.
> Unable to perform operation.
>
> Also when I go through "XP Service" and enable (start)
> print spool nothing happens.
>
> I have tried deleting the files in the registry key like
> Microsoft Knowledge base has said to. Then I try to use
> the command prompt to "net start spooling," but nothing
> happens when I hit enter and I can't type anything
> anymore. I also can't add a printer because it
> says "operation could not be completed" What else can I
> try?
>
June 19, 2004 11:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Go to the command prompt, and type
>
> net start spooler
>
> What is the error message that appears if it does not start?
>
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
> "Hueb5" <loishughes1@cs.com> wrote in message
> news:115c301c441aa$363475f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> > Okidata C5100 laser printer
> >
> > No matter what I try and do - add a printer, delete a
> > printer - set preferences I get the same error message:
> > Print spool service not running.
> > Unable to perform operation.
> >
> > Also when I go through "XP Service" and enable (start)
> > print spool nothing happens.
> >
> > I have tried deleting the files in the registry key like
> > Microsoft Knowledge base has said to. Then I try to use
> > the command prompt to "net start spooling," but nothing
> > happens when I hit enter and I can't type anything
> > anymore. I also can't add a printer because it
> > says "operation could not be completed" What else can I
> > try?
> >
> when i type that in i get this message.... syatem error 1058 has occured....the service can not be started,either because it is diabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it please help
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 2:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

Pay particular attention to steps 14 through 16.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:13488EEB-0E76-483B-8A39-48F308962E9E@microsoft.com...

>> >
>> when i type that in i get this message.... syatem error 1058 has
>> occured....the service can not be started,either because it is diabled
>> or because it has no enabled devices associated with it please help
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:38:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

im having the same problem but it says the service is not installed on
this computer when i tried restarting the "spooler" using the command
promp commands. wut do i do?



--
zies
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message705753.html
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 3:41:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

You need to run a Repair Installation of XP. Somehow the Spooler Service
has been deleted. You're only the second person I've ever come across with
this problem in three years, so it is rare, but not unheard of.

Michael Stevens has a great step by step instructional webpage:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--
Cari
MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
www.coribright.com

"zies" <zies.18ycbz@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
news:zies.18ycbz@mail.mcse.ms...
>
> im having the same problem but it says the service is not installed on
> this computer when i tried restarting the "spooler" using the command
> promp commands. wut do i do?
>
>
>
> --
> zies
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message705753.html
>
December 15, 2010 10:16:09 PM

I've been struggling with the same problem and was about to do a Repair Installation when I saw this thread with these extra steps. It solved the issue.

(Thanks to Robert Orleth for providing this)


Once you have erased all the files inside the print spooler files in the systems folder,

If you have a Lexmark printer, these additional steps may be necessary (thanks to Robert Orleth [MSFT] for providing this information). The Lexmark printer installation process sometimes installs a service that makes the print spooler service dependent on itself. If there is a problem with Lexmark service or a Lexmark printer driver (or you removed it using the steps above), the print spooler service may not start (see also http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757).
The steps below make the print spooler service only dependent on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service (RPCSS), which is normal. The print spooler service dependencies are stored in the registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\DependOnService

The sc config command resets the value of that entry.

Open a Command Prompt window and type the following

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

(note the space after the = but not before)

Restart the print spooler.
December 16, 2010 3:02:07 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!