Which CPU should I use? Athlon 1.3 or P3 1.5?

G

I have decided to give it me all and try out a VapoChill.
I now need a good mobo using the KT266 Chipset so I can
hook up 200/266 FSB. I need it to be rich in OverClocking
features for an Athlon @ 1.33Ghz. I wanna try for 2GHZ!!!
It has to be stable for 3 or 4 hours though.
I found one on www.msicomputer.com that has KT266.
Its called the MS-6380. But does it contain the same
features for OC'ing as the previous MS-6341 mentioned
in Tom's "Power Box" article? Plus, I cant find it or
the MS-6341 for sale anywhere. Where can I find these?
Does it matter if the DDRSDRAM is Unbuffered, non-parity
or ECC? I want CAS2 PC2100 for sure. About HDD's...
is SCSI-ULTRA-160 the fastest, or what? And is there any
OS or software problems that could arise from my choice
of SCSI over ATA100? Like could I run Millenium on SCSI?
Or just Win 2K. I guess I would REALLY LIKE TO SEE
"POWER BOX 2"!!!! When is that going to be written?

He who lets woman on top is FU<KING UP.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well - good luck with 2Gig. I doubt the Athlon (from what I've read) is going to go much past 1.6/1.7. The new 1333 is supposed to be cooler, so might have better legs but you are talking 14x multiplier at 143 mhz FSB or variations thereof. The A7V133 only runs to a multiplier of 12.5 for instance. Don't know of other boards that go higher - there may be.

If not (I've only seen 12.5x boards - but I haven't looked that hard) you'll need your system to run at 160FSB. Again, this is possible if you are lucky and have really good components.

Good luck VinnyCee - I'm sure everyone (well - most folks anyway - me for one) will be very impressed at a 2Gz box!!!

Me - I just got a 1.333Ghz and I'm planning on heading for 1.6 territory. If I can get that, stable, with low temps, I'll be a very happy man.

Pete.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
No, No, NO!!
The boards only appear to have a max of 12.5 multiplier, but that setting actually just goes with whatever the chip is at.
I don't think the 1333 runs any cooler. Wait for the Palomino for that.
I don't think you'll hit 2 gigs w/o some serious cooling (Liquid Nitrogen) and a top of the line chip (AZZA anyone?), but I think that 1.7 is about as good as you'll get. Still, that's not bad at all.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
How do you figure that?

Your board only has bios and dip switch support to set a multiplier up to 12.5 and obviously you can theoretically run FSB to 166 (ha ha).

My A7V133 will multiply to 12.5 max. If you don't put your FSB above 133 - you'll never break 1.7ghz. Are you saying there is 'hidden' support of 13x... and that inserting a 1.8ghz/266 socket462 chip will run fine???

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

mpjesse

Splendid
As much as I hate Intel and the P4- i'd recommend the P4 because it's a much more scalable processor. The Athlon's won't be great for overclocking past 1.6Ghz until the Palomino is released. But, I'd personally wait for either the Palomino or Northwood to be released- then you'll be able to overclock like mad crazy.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"