Max Payne 3 PC specs call for up to 16gb RAM???

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Ive always been a huge fan of the Max Payne series ever since the first game. Im gearing up to make sure im ready for max settings on the upcoming Max Payne 3. So the specs call for up to 16gb of RAM memory use. Ive never heard of this before. I think the most RAM memory used in a game application is around 4gb. How can a game use so much RAM?
http://www.techspot.com/news/48314-max-payne-3-pc-specs-preorder-bonuses-revealed.html

I have Ripjaws 8gb 1600 CL8 right now and wondering if i should get another 8gb since RAM is so cheap right now. The rest of my system has no problems with i5 2500k @ 4.3 / GTX 680.

And 35GB storage....... Holy $#@%&,
I think that has to be a new record for a game...

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Yep, truly sounds ridiculous!! But those specs seem to be the recommended specs. Reportedly, they have re-worked the entire engine and there seems to be a lot of potential and expectations from this one. I saw some of the trailers and was pretty impressed at first glance. For eg; when on the ground, you have control to shoot in 360 degrees. Plus, they have some unique feature whereby every bullet impact (or most of them at least) is unique in itself, so not a set of animations/ reactions qua NPC's getting killed.

What seems to me - at least from the previews etc - is that while the developers have focused on the console, they haven't left out the PC version and have/ are giving full attention to how much potential PC's have over/ against consoles. This, if true, is a welcome breather for the PC community.

All in all, it seems to be a title made to cater to every gamer starting from entry level rigs all the way to top end/ over the top rigs, which is good imho.

The rest, time will tell. :)

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
A game can use more than 4GB of RAM in 2 ways:
-64 bit binaries, requiring 64-bit OS (I think FarCry 1 was the 1st 64-bit-available game)
-32 bit binaries spread in multiple processes
I really hope the 1st option is available, as the 2nd will incure overhead of the individual tasks communicating and a complex method of dividing the task to be able to use more memory, and to use more than 4GB, either swap file will be needed (on 32-bit OS....no point in that) or 64-bit OS (so why not use 64-bit binaries?).

PS: There is a big misconception about 32-bit vs 64-bit, and that is RAM. 32-bit apps are limited to 4GB, but not a 32-bit OS (well, MS artificially limits it in desktop OS, as server OSes can use up to 64GB). 64-bit also brings a 4x registry space (8 extended 32->64 bit + 8 new 64-bit), which means heavily computational algorithms can have more data in registry and reduce cache accesses (think video/audio/image processing).

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I agree Namelessonez, its very nice to see a trend of developers actually spending extra time on a game to optimize it for the PC and not just port over some copy/paste console port crap(that i wont buy). I think BF3 ramped up this trend of increased PC gaming support with night and day graphics difference from its console counter part. Actually BF3 is the reason i built my first PC and ditched console gaming. Never knew what i was missing.......

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

what effect would that have on gaming performance?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

By the look of the lighting effects and high res detail i disagree.
Max-Payne-3-PC-2-590x363.jpg

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

I really like the "fluidity" of the Euphoria engine, I was very impressed with the physics as well. I'm talking about GTA IV.

But the rest - the textures, the shading, was all rubbish.

I liked the realistic 'lag' of player and NPC movements in GTA IV too. It does provide a ton of realism. The physics were good too.

Will my SLI GTX 580s run Solitaire?
No, no it won't. Solitaire is really demanding. It's much more demanding than Metro 2033 and Crysis running in the same machine , maxed out. LOL.

Anyways, as for 16 gigs for Max Payne 3's requirements, it looks too much. The recommended specs seem to be a little, off the line.

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

I plan on adding a third soon.... HA HA