eq2 reaction to latest patch

Last response: in Video Games
February 18, 2005 4:27:15 PM

I have been studying lately and haven't had much time to do anything outside
of tradeskilling but here's my observation so far and I'd love to hear
others POV.

I find the nested boxes/bags fantastic, although i haven't nested boxes yet
so i don't know if you can actually walk if you do that. I loathed zoning
and running about everytime i made a box and so far this works flawlessly. 3
cheers for SOE!

I don't like the changes to the fuel costs. Tradeskilling went from
something where i could sort of break even selling back to the merchant to
something where i'll have to sell to other players, and there's a heck of a
lot of people selling the same as me. So it looks like i'll have to
adventure to cover the cost of tradeskilling. Argh, tradeskilling as a
moneysink. This is one of the reasons EQ2 was saying it was better: the
artisan is supposed to be a viable choice. Maybe it is if you can have an
alt merchant on another account, but so far i have seen a lot of depressing
things that look like sales below cost price, presumably as the items were
used as skillups and they can't be sold to npc now.

Perhpas the attuneable bit will mean people will buy my forged iron
chainmail, but considering questable stuff is easy to get and you get xp in
the process, it's hard for me to sell what i can make. The money/time ratio
for tradeskillign so far is poor and seems to have slipped into the
negative. Perhaps there are exploits i'm missing. If i could find rares for
my sage, perhaps i would sing a different tune. None so far.

I have also heard the pally horse now walks. I haven't tested it and i am
hoping that's false, but frankly, they should have used a burro as the
steed. I have ridden on horses and the usual impression is
"whee!",
"stop now please!"
"Argh that's barbed wire"
"I told you you couldn't jump it".

I can rollerskate faster than a pally horse. Perhaps gnomes could invent the
pushbike.

The con bit i saw once and it looked nice and i haven't yet heard one of the
new voices. I am unlikely to own a house pet as frankly i'd want one that
can feed itself. There's rats everywhere, isn't there? And, if you have a
baby dragon, lots of sheep and deer for shiny scales and a healthy internal
hearth.

Ralph, Relph, Rolph and Carpcat
still on najena (barely)
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:27:16 PM

> The con bit i saw once and it looked nice and i haven't yet heard one of
> the
> new voices. I am unlikely to own a house pet as frankly i'd want one that
> can feed itself. There's rats everywhere, isn't there? And, if you have a
> baby dragon, lots of sheep and deer for shiny scales and a healthy
> internal
> hearth.
>
> Ralph, Relph, Rolph and Carpcat
> still on najena (barely)

I've experienced a few of the new voices. The worst by far are the skeles
in Vermin Snye that now sound like Bugs Bunny.

Also, what's the deal with all new tents and overland miners, woodcutters
etc.? Looks like we're being invaded.

And, there seems to be a lot more gathering nodes in Antonica. Maybe they
bumped it up figuring everyone would be fighting for food components?

LoonBoon (aka Enrico)
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:27:16 PM

I have a 36 Dirge that is my main, and so far I haven't had alot of
complaints about the patch,
I haven't really gotten into Crafting that much, so the Crafting patch
didn't affect me as much as others.
I prefer Questing for my gear, so buying it doesn't affect me as much.
I don't really sell alot of stuff in Merchant mode, and when I do, I
find that Harvested stuff seems to sell much quicker than any other
items.
I've tended to sell to Merchants before, mostly because I have no
patience for the Merchant Selling.
Since I'm a Dirge, I run everywhere, (even before the patch I could run
faster than Pally/SK or seemed to) so the Horse thing doesn't bother
me.

And I like the new Con system.. much prettier..

/pizza is an awesome new idea

Overall. I'm not unhappy with the patch, but I see only one problem so
far.
There were people who already had large caches of money, these people
will now be the Nobility , as it were, and Upgrading to new houses,
with their prohibitive costs, will be near impossible.

There has to be some money in the economy, Inflation is a part of life,
What they are trying to implement seems to be closer to a Communist
state, maybe they should hire and economist to explain to them how a
money based system is supposed to work.
February 18, 2005 4:27:16 PM

>That's odd, I am having very little difficulty making pristines at and

>above my level for tiers 3 in Sagecraft and provisioning. I do get
some
>failures, but my success rate is 70% or so for level 22 spells (my
>current level as a Sage), and is 95% or better for level 24 provisions

>(started doing them at level 21).

Yeah, I think its just carpenters that are having a hard time. My would
be provisoner is actually better of at his level (fuel cost 2c less)
and has no trouble levelling up and making pristines. Most of the new
recipes are white (even) and need few combines. In an hour I can make a
stack to twenty and get about 60% exp. No idea about the market value
since I normally use them myself but I'm led to believe food and
drink is a very lucrative market.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:27:16 PM

>I have had trouble selling much, and it takes a lot longer than an
hour
>to make a stack of decent food/drink, as the long lasting ones involve

>several subcombines which are sometimes higher level than the final
>combine.

True, but I normally don't bother with them. Only the ones that
require one combine (which I often buy) or coffee which needs no
combines. I do this because I'm levelling my craftsman up so he can
be proper provisioner but also because I'm wary of spending to much
time making an item with 4+ hour duration only to have it go when I die
10 seconds after consuming it!!
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:27:16 PM

Maybe SOE should incorporate a /whine command for you guys.I can't
believe some of the childish responses I have read here regarding the
patch and how it has ruined your character. You seem to overlook the
numerous good things SOE has brought into the game .If they take
anything away from your character then you threaten to quit and say
that your switching to WoW. Well , go right ahead and go to WoW ,that
would leave EQ2 with a few less whiners. EQ2 is the best RPG on the
planet and I dislike some of there nerfs as well , but I don't go
around whining about them .A game as complex as EQ2 requires
adjustments now and then to balance out the classes. If something gets
nerfed it is usually for the better overall game,and unfortunately
sometimes individual players get screwed in the process .But as a great
Vulcan once said , "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the
few , or the one. "
But all hope is not lost. In dealing with SOE the last 5 years the
one thing I admire about them is they listen to their players .They
want more than anyboby to have the best game on the market.So instead
of flaming SOE on websites,perhaps you should try the /feedback command
in game and let them know how you feel in an adult and kind manner . If
there nerf overly effects a certain area of the game ,they will get
enough feedback on it and readjust it.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:06:53 PM

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
>I have been studying lately and haven't had much time to do anything
>outside
> of tradeskilling but here's my observation so far and I'd love to hear
> others POV.

I honestly think this patch has killed of my carpenter.

Here's the problem:

1. Selling to the merchants does not even allow me to break even.
2. Doing trade writs does not allow me to break even.
3. Doing workshop tasks does not allow me to break even.
4. Furniture doesnt sell. I know a lvl 47 carpenter and he has sold a total
of 4 beds!
4. Boxes within boxes. This is the death of the boxes market. Without
durability on these the market is going to be flooded. I have already seen 1
guy selling 35 boxes overnight. The maximum you used to be able to sell was
6. In a week or so demand will have dried up and boxes will not sell.
5. Carpenters cannot make pristine components using their carpentry skills.
If we want pristine it is going to cost us twice as much in fuel, we are
already crafting at a loss.
6. NPC merchants sell better furniture than carpenters and are around 90%
cheaper. A rare rug created by a carpenter looks the same as a 17s rug you
can buy of a NPC.
7. Status reduction still not shown on furniture.
8. Less money in the game with the new patch, less people wanting higher
tier rooms, less furniture for carpenters.
9. Furniture has no durability loss.

Overall I believe the Carpenter class has now been killed off :-(

I'll give it a week or two and if SoE dont show any signs of fixing the
class I have worked so hard on then i'm off. I have had WoW for two weeks
and not once have I thought about installing it, this patch though has
totally ruined my carpenter.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:23:31 PM

I'm smoking good ole Texas homegrown.But seriously , SOE is not out to
screw EQ2 players.Most of the good ideas built into the game come from
player feedback.The few in-game problems I have encountered have been
quickly responded to by GM's.You don't create an empire the size of
Sony without a good track record of customer service.Instead of
thanking them for the ability to next boxes ,people complain about
flooding the market with boxes.BIG F***ing DEAL! It's a game for crying
out loud and should be challenging.If you can't handle the challenges
then maybe you should play Pac-Man or Pong.
Just because they don't change the game to benefit YOUR character
doesn't mean they don't listen.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:27:54 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:27:15 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:

>Perhpas the attuneable bit will mean people will buy my forged iron
>chainmail, but considering questable stuff is easy to get and you get xp in
>the process, it's hard for me to sell what i can make.

The main benefit for traders, now that lots of stuff is attunable, is
that they'll no longer be passing it onto alts and guildmates when
they outgrow it, so you should have an increased demand for armour.

And the nested boxes/bags thing means you can now sell large numbers
of boxes at a time, as opposed to however many you have room for in
your main Inv slots. Of course, I can only carry 1 or 2 at a time, so
there's still lots of back and forth from the crafthall and bank...

And what's with all the carrots ?
February 18, 2005 5:29:15 PM

<terrytexstar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Maybe SOE should incorporate a /whine command for you guys.I can't
> believe some of the childish responses I have read here regarding the
> patch and how it has ruined your character. You seem to overlook the
> numerous good things SOE has brought into the game .If they take
> anything away from your character then you threaten to quit and say
> that your switching to WoW. Well , go right ahead and go to WoW ,that
> would leave EQ2 with a few less whiners. EQ2 is the best RPG on the
> planet and I dislike some of there nerfs as well , but I don't go
> around whining about them .A game as complex as EQ2 requires
> adjustments now and then to balance out the classes. If something gets
> nerfed it is usually for the better overall game,and unfortunately
> sometimes individual players get screwed in the process .But as a great
> Vulcan once said , "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the
> few , or the one. "
> But all hope is not lost. In dealing with SOE the last 5 years the
> one thing I admire about them is they listen to their players .They
> want more than anyboby to have the best game on the market.So instead
> of flaming SOE on websites,perhaps you should try the /feedback command
> in game and let them know how you feel in an adult and kind manner . If
> there nerf overly effects a certain area of the game ,they will get
> enough feedback on it and readjust it.

What the hell are you smoking? Obviously something good to induce a Star
Trek reference, make you whine about whining without seeing the irony *and*
make you think they listen to their players.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:36:53 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:06:53 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:

>Overall I believe the Carpenter class has now been killed off :-(
>
>I'll give it a week or two and if SoE dont show any signs of fixing the
>class I have worked so hard on then i'm off. I have had WoW for two weeks
>and not once have I thought about installing it, this patch though has
>totally ruined my carpenter.

I have 2 crafters, a jeweller and a carpenter. THe jeweller made me
cahs (and made my jewelry, natch) buy my carpenter was my main
crafter, as I loved making stuff for my room.

However, it's beed a few weeks since I made anything, and can't image
getting past lvl 22, where she's currently stuck.

Like the guy you mentioned, I've sold about 3 beds on the market -
I've given more away to guildmates.

I think I lost interest when the big crafting nerf hit a few weeks
ago, adn it became almost impossible to make Pristine anything - hell,
now I can't ever refine and plane wood and get a pristine...If I grind
away for a few more levels, I can finally make Tier 3 strongboxes, but
I honestly can't be bothered - especially now I'm gettting 2 or 3 new
recipes per level - it gets extremely dull making the same shelves and
bunk beds over and over...

I'm still having fun adventuring with my new Priest, who has just hit
21, and will soon be visiting Stormhold, but my little periods of "I'm
SO close to quitting" are getting closer and closer together. If I do
quit, I won't bother with WoW, as it's just more of the same. I'll
probably go back to Anarchy Online, as I miss my Fixer... :-p

And what's with all the carrots ?
February 18, 2005 5:56:15 PM

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> skrev i en meddelelse
> I have been studying lately and haven't had much time to do anything
outside
> of tradeskilling but here's my observation so far and I'd love to hear
> others POV.

The patch changed my keyboard settings. I have now have a differnt layout
where some of the letters are gone and other characters are in other places.
I haven't been able to go back to my own country settings - I don't know
how.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:56:16 PM

Frandsen wrote:

> The patch changed my keyboard settings. I have now have a differnt layout
> where some of the letters are gone and other characters are in other places.
> I haven't been able to go back to my own country settings - I don't know
> how.

Same here, I had some interesting conversations as :)  was transformed to
>( ...

Timo
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:59:20 PM

"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:06:53 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:
>

>>Overall I believe the Carpenter class has now been killed off :-(
>>
>>I'll give it a week or two and if SoE dont show any signs of fixing the
>>class I have worked so hard on then i'm off. I have had WoW for two weeks
>>and not once have I thought about installing it, this patch though has
>>totally ruined my carpenter.
>
> I have 2 crafters, a jeweller and a carpenter. THe jeweller made me
> cahs (and made my jewelry, natch) buy my carpenter was my main
> crafter, as I loved making stuff for my room.
>
> However, it's beed a few weeks since I made anything, and can't image
> getting past lvl 22, where she's currently stuck.
>
> Like the guy you mentioned, I've sold about 3 beds on the market -
> I've given more away to guildmates.
>
> I think I lost interest when the big crafting nerf hit a few weeks
> ago, adn it became almost impossible to make Pristine anything - hell,
> now I can't ever refine and plane wood and get a pristine...If I grind
> away for a few more levels, I can finally make Tier 3 strongboxes, but
> I honestly can't be bothered - especially now I'm gettting 2 or 3 new
> recipes per level - it gets extremely dull making the same shelves and
> bunk beds over and over...
>
> I'm still having fun adventuring with my new Priest, who has just hit
> 21, and will soon be visiting Stormhold, but my little periods of "I'm
> SO close to quitting" are getting closer and closer together. If I do
> quit, I won't bother with WoW, as it's just more of the same. I'll
> probably go back to Anarchy Online, as I miss my Fixer... :-p

T3 strongboxes on my server are now their lowest they have ever been, 85s.
Sadly they will only get lower as more people make them (furniture obviously
doesnt sell), eventually there will come a time when everyone has all the
boxes they need and we wont be able to give them away.

Wait till you get past 25 in carpentry, it's a nightmare levelling up. I had
to make 100 ash tables to level from 29-30. I couldnt give these away and
ended up selling to the merchant for 12s each. This paid for my fuel etc and
left me with a small profit. It was a pain but I was happy as I had levelled
and I really wanted to see what T4 beds etc were like.

To do what I did isnt now possible anymore, you will either have to find
someone to buy your furniture (good luck!) or craft at a loss. Because we
cant create pristine primary components with our skill it's going to cost
you even more.

I was also giving away furniture to guildies and friends, I wont even be
able to do that anymore :(

Overall I just feel fed up. It seems that crafter are treated as 2nd class
citizens by SoE. It's a real shame as I was enjoying my carpenter and was
looking forward to hitting 50.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:01:12 PM

Error correction on previous post.....*next boxes should be *nest
boxes...sorry
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:05:34 PM

> Overall. I'm not unhappy with the patch, but I see only one problem so
> far.
> There were people who already had large caches of money, these people
> will now be the Nobility , as it were, and Upgrading to new houses,
> with their prohibitive costs, will be near impossible.
>
> There has to be some money in the economy, Inflation is a part of life,
> What they are trying to implement seems to be closer to a Communist
> state, maybe they should hire and economist to explain to them how a
> money based system is supposed to work.

I've read a lot of comments by people on the board that have said the same
thing. I honestly dont think SoE are really taking into account the huge
power they wield when they swing that nerf patch.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:10:17 PM

I just smoked another one and had a brainstorm.Why don't Sony make
all our characters levels 50.Give us an unlimited supply of Plat, the
ability to warp to any location on the server, free access to all zones
, give us godmode so we never die and the ability to create any item
just by typing it in the chat box...would that make everyone happy????
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:13:37 PM

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:06:53 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:
>

>>Overall I believe the Carpenter class has now been killed off :-(
>>
>>I'll give it a week or two and if SoE dont show any signs of fixing
>>the class I have worked so hard on then i'm off. I have had WoW for
>>two weeks and not once have I thought about installing it, this patch
>>though has totally ruined my carpenter.
>
> I have 2 crafters, a jeweller and a carpenter. THe jeweller made me
> cahs (and made my jewelry, natch) buy my carpenter was my main
> crafter, as I loved making stuff for my room.
>
> However, it's beed a few weeks since I made anything, and can't image
> getting past lvl 22, where she's currently stuck.
>
> Like the guy you mentioned, I've sold about 3 beds on the market -
> I've given more away to guildmates.
>
> I think I lost interest when the big crafting nerf hit a few weeks
> ago, adn it became almost impossible to make Pristine anything - hell,
> now I can't ever refine and plane wood and get a pristine...If I grind
> away for a few more levels, I can finally make Tier 3 strongboxes, but
> I honestly can't be bothered - especially now I'm gettting 2 or 3 new
> recipes per level - it gets extremely dull making the same shelves and
> bunk beds over and over...

That's odd, I am having very little difficulty making pristines at and
above my level for tiers 3 in Sagecraft and provisioning. I do get some
failures, but my success rate is 70% or so for level 22 spells (my
current level as a Sage), and is 95% or better for level 24 provisions
(started doing them at level 21).

> I'm still having fun adventuring with my new Priest, who has just hit
> 21, and will soon be visiting Stormhold, but my little periods of "I'm
> SO close to quitting" are getting closer and closer together. If I do
> quit, I won't bother with WoW, as it's just more of the same. I'll
> probably go back to Anarchy Online, as I miss my Fixer... :-p

If I were to end up quitting EQ2, I'd go back to playing more EQ1 I
expect.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:20:23 PM

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:27:15 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>
>>Perhpas the attuneable bit will mean people will buy my forged iron
>>chainmail, but considering questable stuff is easy to get and you get
>>xp in the process, it's hard for me to sell what i can make.
>
> The main benefit for traders, now that lots of stuff is attunable, is
> that they'll no longer be passing it onto alts and guildmates when
> they outgrow it, so you should have an increased demand for armour.
>
> And the nested boxes/bags thing means you can now sell large numbers
> of boxes at a time, as opposed to however many you have room for in
> your main Inv slots. Of course, I can only carry 1 or 2 at a time, so
> there's still lots of back and forth from the crafthall and bank...

Yep, I remember having to waddle to the bank after having made just 2 or
3 boxes some time back.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:20:24 PM

On 18 Feb 2005 15:20:23 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:27:15 GMT, "Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Perhpas the attuneable bit will mean people will buy my forged iron
>>>chainmail, but considering questable stuff is easy to get and you get
>>>xp in the process, it's hard for me to sell what i can make.
>>
>> The main benefit for traders, now that lots of stuff is attunable, is
>> that they'll no longer be passing it onto alts and guildmates when
>> they outgrow it, so you should have an increased demand for armour.
>>
>> And the nested boxes/bags thing means you can now sell large numbers
>> of boxes at a time, as opposed to however many you have room for in
>> your main Inv slots. Of course, I can only carry 1 or 2 at a time, so
>> there's still lots of back and forth from the crafthall and bank...
>>

>Yep, I remember having to waddle to the bank after having made just 2 or
>3 boxes some time back.

I always made 20 at a time. They went into the overfilled spot and
didn't add any weight. Haven't done it since they made it that you
could nest the boxes tho. You'd have to make sure you didn't have any
empty inventory slots to do that trick now.

--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Test
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Test

Wulfbones
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:35:20 PM

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in

>>That's odd, I am having very little difficulty making pristines at and
>
>>above my level for tiers 3 in Sagecraft and provisioning. I do get
>>some failures, but my success rate is 70% or so for level 22 spells (my
>>current level as a Sage), and is 95% or better for level 24 provisions
>
>>(started doing them at level 21).
>
> Yeah, I think its just carpenters that are having a hard time. My would
> be provisoner is actually better of at his level (fuel cost 2c less)
> and has no trouble levelling up and making pristines. Most of the new
> recipes are white (even) and need few combines. In an hour I can make a
> stack to twenty and get about 60% exp. No idea about the market value
> since I normally use them myself but I'm led to believe food and
> drink is a very lucrative market.

I have had trouble selling much, and it takes a lot longer than an hour
to make a stack of decent food/drink, as the long lasting ones involve
several subcombines which are sometimes higher level than the final
combine. What in the world was SoE thinking when they set up the levels
on these? At tier 3, it is a huge timesink just to keep my main supplied
with drink.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:46:46 AM

terrytexstar@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:1108765411.026870.121940
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I'm smoking good ole Texas homegrown.But seriously , SOE is not out to
> screw EQ2 players.Most of the good ideas built into the game come from
> player feedback.The few in-game problems I have encountered have been
> quickly responded to by GM's.You don't create an empire the size of
> Sony without a good track record of customer service.Instead of
> thanking them for the ability to next boxes ,people complain about
> flooding the market with boxes.BIG F***ing DEAL! It's a game for crying
> out loud and should be challenging.If you can't handle the challenges
> then maybe you should play Pac-Man or Pong.
> Just because they don't change the game to benefit YOUR character
> doesn't mean they don't listen.

Wow, what's in that Texas homegrown? SOE and a good track record of
customer service? I have reported numerous issues with quests and game
mechanics, out of which, to date, one has been fixed (this is in EQ2).
EQ1, many have had serious issues getting some kind of a response to a
petition in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe, for a very long
time.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:22:42 PM

<terrytexstar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I just smoked another one and had a brainstorm.Why don't Sony make
> all our characters levels 50.Give us an unlimited supply of Plat, the
> ability to warp to any location on the server, free access to all zones
> , give us godmode so we never die and the ability to create any item
> just by typing it in the chat box...would that make everyone happy????

Texas homegrown must be some potent stuff.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:57:16 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:15:43 GMT, Timo wrote:

>Frandsen wrote:
>
>> The patch changed my keyboard settings. I have now have a differnt layout
>> where some of the letters are gone and other characters are in other places.
>> I haven't been able to go back to my own country settings - I don't know
>> how.
>>
>Same here, I had some interesting conversations as :)  was transformed to
> >( ...
>
>Timo

Press Alt+Shift to toggle.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:45:25 -0800, Bob Perez wrote:

>Don't know the command and cannot verify personally, but I heard from
>someone last night that you can actually change your profession choice now.
>This would be thematically consistent with being able to respec your traits
>(/respec, can do once) and being able to re-attune all of your equipment.
>It's like they're giving us a bye on our original choices now with all these
>dramatic changes.

No good reason that I can think of not to make this an integrated part of
the game. As I explained in my other post, it would help building a working
economy, ultimately removing the need to nerf things all the time in an
endless battle against inflation, deflation, classes becoming useless, some
people undeservedly getting filthily rich, etc., etc. The game will never be
fun as long as they change the rules all the time.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:29:32 PM

On 18 Feb 2005 07:26:26 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

>Yeah, I think its just carpenters that are having a hard time.

Yea, it does sound as if carpenters were left out in the cold this time. As
a weaponsmith, I have to like the new attune scheme, and I don't see why
something similar couldn't be done with boxes, accompanied by a scheme to
make it necessary or at least very commendable to buy new boxes for each
tier.

Furniture also need somehow to become more desirable to those of us who
don't want a big apartment and never get a visit from someone we care about.
No idea how, though.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:35:24 PM

On 18 Feb 2005 07:58:49 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

>True, but I normally don't bother with them. Only the ones that
>require one combine (which I often buy) or coffee which needs no
>combines. I do this because I'm levelling my craftsman up so he can
>be proper provisioner but also because I'm wary of spending to much
>time making an item with 4+ hour duration only to have it go when I die
>10 seconds after consuming it!!

I actually prefer those that don't last as long, provided the price reflects
it properly. The "eat/drink when hungry/thirsty" feature makes sure I never
run out at a critical moment, and I hate to be eating/drinking when there's
no need for it. This stuff is expensive, in particular now that only the
crafted refreshments are useful.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:36:56 PM

On 18 Feb 2005 06:08:14 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

>Not sure if it just me but the shortcut to open all bags no longer
>works. Very annoying. I reported it as a bug.

Have you checked in Options that it's still assigned? Mine had been reset,
but now it works okay.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:42:44 PM

On 18 Feb 2005 15:10:17 -0800, terrytexstar@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I just smoked another one and had a brainstorm.Why don't Sony make
>all our characters levels 50.Give us an unlimited supply of Plat, the
>ability to warp to any location on the server, free access to all zones
>, give us godmode so we never die and the ability to create any item
>just by typing it in the chat box...would that make everyone happy????

Not everyone, but probably the majority, so I don't think your vision is too
far away from becoming reality ;-)
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 3:40:50 PM

"Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse

> Press Alt+Shift to toggle.

The problem went away by it self.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:36:51 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 15:38:06 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

<snip>
>>> New con system?? Why? What was wrong with the old one? The new one is
>>> just different, it's not better, and I dont' understand why time was
>>> wasted on fixing something that wasnt' broken, when there are broken
>>> things that haven't been fixed. What is easier to understand at a
>>> glance? The differences in "fanciness" of the con window, or the
>>> number and direction of arrows?
>>
>> The old con system would show colour^ or ^^ or ^^^. With the new con
>> system I can't see if a mob is ^ ^^ or ^^^. I did read somewhere that
>> you can still use the old con system if you like. With the new system
>> I can see right away if a yellow is one or two level above me.
>
>Level is not the important factor though. In theory, the fanciness of
>the con does tell you about how difficult it is, just have not got it all
>figured out yet. I did look through the options to turn it off, and was
>not able to find it, it is not obvious anyway.

You can switch between the old system and the new one by selecting the
User Interface tab on the Options window. Under the Name and Chat
Bubble heading, you can toggle the NPC Evaluation drop-down between
Simple (new system) and Detailed (old system). It's not exactly the
old system, instead of solo/group it will say <blank>/Heroic.

<blank> is to show that there is nothing under the name when it is a
solo mob.

<snip>

--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Test
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Test
WUlfkiller Gnome Warrior Qeynos Test
Wulffy Gnome Summoner Qeynos Test

Wulfbones
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:31:21 PM

Henrik Dissing <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in
news:o sme11thajlj2n4tolmcnc9mf4canrqvbl@4ax.com:

> On 18 Feb 2005 07:58:49 -0800, BombayMix wrote:
>
>>True, but I normally don't bother with them. Only the ones that
>>require one combine (which I often buy) or coffee which needs no
>>combines. I do this because I'm levelling my craftsman up so he can
>>be proper provisioner but also because I'm wary of spending to much
>>time making an item with 4+ hour duration only to have it go when I
>>die 10 seconds after consuming it!!
>
> I actually prefer those that don't last as long, provided the price
> reflects it properly. The "eat/drink when hungry/thirsty" feature
> makes sure I never run out at a critical moment, and I hate to be
> eating/drinking when there's no need for it. This stuff is expensive,
> in particular now that only the crafted refreshments are useful.

And this is why I have an alt provisioner, made my first tier 3 drinks
last night.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 24 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:32:05 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:00:37 GMT, Slapfish wrote:

>Why make ALL quested gear attunable?

Why not? The crafted gear is also attunable. The reasoning is that by using
it you're wearing it off. Other schemes could have been applied to simulate
this, but there's no good reason why you should both have the benefit of
using an item until you outgrow it and then get a good price for it on the
market.

Everything crafted and quested must eventually disappear from the game.
Otherwise, quest rewards and crafted items become worthless at some point,
which is bad for crafters and adventurers alike.

>Isn't that a little drastic? Couldn't
>they figure out a better way to encourage people to buy player made gear
>than such a sweeping change?

Probably, but I don't think you would like those either because what's
annoying you seems to be that they've taken away the privilege of using
items at no cost. And they just had to do that. It's so obvious that one
wonders why they didn't figure that out from the beginning.

>New fuel?? Why?

They wanted to still make it an advantage for classes to work together, and
they have done that by requiring twice the amount of fuel from
non-specialists. For that scheme to have an effect on higher levels, they
had introduce high-level fuel components. 6c or 12c makes no difference to a
lvl29 weaponsmith, but 58c or 1s16c per component might. My feeling is that
few people will go through all the trouble of getting in touch, meeting and
swapping stuff to save this coin, so I don't think it'll be long before we
see the next adjustments to this balance between solo crafting and
partnership crafting.

Anyway, it's not as difficult to find your fuel as it first appears, because
you quickly learn which price corresponds to which base level. Merchants
could use a filter mechanism in their sell windows, though.

>Players can now make their own component items. hmmm..... this needed some
>work, but this also seems to be overkill. I think there should be some
>interdependency, but it was umbalanced among the classes. The didn't all
>have the same dependencies. What needed fixing was not getting rid of all of
>them, but making sure the classes were balanced.

Agree 100%. Life as a crafter is easier now, but also less profitable and
more boring. In addition to balancing the classes, they could have done
something to make it easier to find business partners. Surely, SOE must soon
realize that the requirement to be logged in while selling (but not
necessarily present) only serves to speed up global warming.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:09:58 PM

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:00:37 GMT, Slapfish wrote:
>>Players can now make their own component items. hmmm..... this needed
>>some work, but this also seems to be overkill. I think there should be
>>some interdependency, but it was umbalanced among the classes. The
>>didn't all have the same dependencies. What needed fixing was not
>>getting rid of all of them, but making sure the classes were balanced.
>
> Agree 100%. Life as a crafter is easier now, but also less profitable
> and more boring. In addition to balancing the classes, they could have
> done something to make it easier to find business partners. Surely,
> SOE must soon realize that the requirement to be logged in while
> selling (but not necessarily present) only serves to speed up global
> warming. --

Well, as a Sage, I can tell you I have found crafting to be very
unprofitable. Adept 1s seem to be too easy to come by, and they sell at
low enough prices that I cannot manage to eek more than a small profit
for an app IV spell, if I can sell it at all. Added to that difficulty
in selling was the extreme difficulty in actually making the spells being
that at tier 3, I need paper, quills, and ink. The people who make the
paper and quills needed alchemist made components. The ammount of
interaction between the various skills there is just ludicrous, to the
point that prices for components tended to be high, such that I could not
make a profit by making spells. Patterns for armor were almost equally
as bad, requiring the same paper, and thread to make.

Basically, my sage ended up doing nothing more than making patterns and
spells for guildies, when 3 other guildies could get around to making him
the subcomponents he required. So, I made an alt provisioner, who
requires noone else in order to make his products, and thus is not
severely hampered in both advancement, and the ability to sell product.
Not to mention that actually creating items cost next to nothing, so I
was happy to make them for myself, even if I was not bothering to sell.

As to whether the solution they came up with was the right one, that is a
different question, but something had to change, the system was horribly
broken as it stood, with the alchemists laughing all the way to the bank.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 24 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:41:44 AM

Wulfbones <wulfbones@live-oak.com> wrote in
news:D l5n11hgo93qd95v9vs2qnsujh4tj2gtbd@4ax.com:

> On 22 Feb 2005 15:38:06 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>
>>> The old con system would show colour^ or ^^ or ^^^. With the new con
>>> system I can't see if a mob is ^ ^^ or ^^^. I did read somewhere
>>> that you can still use the old con system if you like. With the new
>>> system I can see right away if a yellow is one or two level above
>>> me.
>>
>>Level is not the important factor though. In theory, the fanciness of
>>the con does tell you about how difficult it is, just have not got it
>>all figured out yet. I did look through the options to turn it off,
>>and was not able to find it, it is not obvious anyway.
>
> You can switch between the old system and the new one by selecting the
> User Interface tab on the Options window. Under the Name and Chat
> Bubble heading, you can toggle the NPC Evaluation drop-down between
> Simple (new system) and Detailed (old system). It's not exactly the
> old system, instead of solo/group it will say <blank>/Heroic.
>
> <blank> is to show that there is nothing under the name when it is a
> solo mob.
>
> <snip>

Hmm, missed it somehow, I did look around under the UI tab.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 24 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:31:40 AM

"Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message
> On 18 Feb 2005 07:26:26 -0800, BombayMix wrote:
>
> >Yeah, I think its just carpenters that are having a hard time.
>
> Yea, it does sound as if carpenters were left out in the cold this time.
As
> a weaponsmith, I have to like the new attune scheme, and I don't see why
> something similar couldn't be done with boxes, accompanied by a scheme to
> make it necessary or at least very commendable to buy new boxes for each
> tier.
>
> Furniture also need somehow to become more desirable to those of us who
> don't want a big apartment and never get a visit from someone we care
about.
> No idea how, though.
> --
> Henrik Dissing
> Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
> Member of Knights of Knowledge
> (e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

Have furniture reduce the xp penalty for death... i.e. you rest faster, as
you are more comfortable, entertained etc. But the parts wear out as they
are used for this purpose... partying takes it's toll i guess.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:01:37 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:31:40 GMT, Shadow wrote:

>Have furniture reduce the xp penalty for death... i.e. you rest faster, as
>you are more comfortable, entertained etc. But the parts wear out as they
>are used for this purpose... partying takes it's toll i guess.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure I would like to group with ultra-rich guys
who have so much furniture they don't care about dying. But maybe furniture
could increase mitigation somehow. Another idea would be to let furniture
enhance vitality, although I suspect many players never run out of vitality
as it is.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:01:38 PM

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:31:40 GMT, Shadow wrote:
>
>>Have furniture reduce the xp penalty for death... i.e. you rest
>>faster, as you are more comfortable, entertained etc. But the parts
>>wear out as they are used for this purpose... partying takes it's toll
>>i guess.
>
> I like the idea, but I'm not sure I would like to group with
> ultra-rich guys who have so much furniture they don't care about
> dying. But maybe furniture could increase mitigation somehow. Another
> idea would be to let furniture enhance vitality, although I suspect
> many players never run out of vitality as it is.

After an intense almost 2 level run for my Provisioner, I finally saw the
vitality arrow at a mere 40% of my level.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 26 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:19:55 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 20:09:58 GMT, Graeme Faelban wrote:

>Well, as a Sage, I can tell you I have found crafting to be very
>unprofitable. Adept 1s seem to be too easy to come by, and they sell at
>low enough prices that I cannot manage to eek more than a small profit
>for an app IV spell, if I can sell it at all. Added to that difficulty
>in selling was the extreme difficulty in actually making the spells being
>that at tier 3, I need paper, quills, and ink. The people who make the
>paper and quills needed alchemist made components. The ammount of
>interaction between the various skills there is just ludicrous, to the
>point that prices for components tended to be high, such that I could not
>make a profit by making spells. Patterns for armor were almost equally
>as bad, requiring the same paper, and thread to make.

I sympatize and agree, but being a weaponsmith, I was in the same boat. Most
recipes required one, two or even three (all) interim components from other
classes, most of which required third party help. Add to that, that each
metal thingy I can make myself required a temper for refining the metal and
another for crafting the component. On top of it all, the weapons I can make
are by no means special and better ones are found all over Norrath.

However, I found the challenges presented by the interdependencies
interesting and overcoming them rewarding, and I would have no problems with
them if:

.... they were more or less the same for all classes
.... getting in touch with partners were easier
.... the end result were something of substantial value
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarf Guardian and Weaponsmith on Highkeep
Member of Knights of Knowledge
(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:19:56 PM

> On 22 Feb 2005 20:09:58 GMT, Graeme Faelban wrote:
>
>>Well, as a Sage, I can tell you I have found crafting to be very
>>unprofitable. Adept 1s seem to be too easy to come by, and they sell
>>at low enough prices that I cannot manage to eek more than a small
>>profit for an app IV spell, if I can sell it at all. Added to that
>>difficulty in selling was the extreme difficulty in actually making
>>the spells being that at tier 3, I need paper, quills, and ink. The
>>people who make the paper and quills needed alchemist made components.
>> The ammount of interaction between the various skills there is just
>>ludicrous, to the point that prices for components tended to be high,
>>such that I could not make a profit by making spells. Patterns for
>>armor were almost equally as bad, requiring the same paper, and thread
>>to make.
>
> I sympatize and agree, but being a weaponsmith, I was in the same
> boat. Most recipes required one, two or even three (all) interim
> components from other classes, most of which required third party
> help. Add to that, that each metal thingy I can make myself required a
> temper for refining the metal and another for crafting the component.
> On top of it all, the weapons I can make are by no means special and
> better ones are found all over Norrath.
>
> However, I found the challenges presented by the interdependencies
> interesting and overcoming them rewarding, and I would have no
> problems with them if:
>
> ... they were more or less the same for all classes
> ... getting in touch with partners were easier
> ... the end result were something of substantial value

If they were all of the above, I could agree, although I would still
prefer less interdependency than did exist. I would have liked to see
some possible advancement path that was perhaps tedious, but that did not
require another tradeskiller, while still keeping the crafting of
anything of any real value requiring interdependency.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 26 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:06:55 AM

"Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message
> On 18 Feb 2005 07:26:26 -0800, BombayMix wrote:
>
> >Yeah, I think its just carpenters that are having a hard time.
>
> Yea, it does sound as if carpenters were left out in the cold this time.
As
> a weaponsmith, I have to like the new attune scheme, and I don't see why
> something similar couldn't be done with boxes, accompanied by a scheme to
> make it necessary or at least very commendable to buy new boxes for each
> tier.
>
> Furniture also need somehow to become more desirable to those of us who
> don't want a big apartment and never get a visit from someone we care
about.
> No idea how, though.

Providing status points of some kind would be nice and pretty easy to do.
!