Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The Walking Dead Steam Version Not Launching

Last response: in Video Games
April 26, 2012 8:30:44 AM

Hey all, I bought The Walking Dead off of Steam last night and I still can't get it to launch. The screen does a bunch of wierd stuff, the flashes and says "could not initialize Direct3d." This is frustrating to say the least. Anyway, am I the only one? I tried compatibility mode. I tried copying System32 dll files. I tried Run As Admin. I tried checking every box in properties. I've ran both 32bit and 64 bit DXDIAG tests. I also updated all my drivers. I'm at a loss here.
Here is my system

Propus 3.0 quad cpu at 3.1 W/cooling
Radeon 6850
8G Gskill ram

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
April 26, 2012 10:54:54 AM

Have you verified the files? Right click on the game in the library -> properties -> verify files.
If it finds files it needs keep running it until it comes back without any.
Score

Best solution

April 26, 2012 2:45:34 PM

Make sure your drivers are up to date, and then for shoots and giggles download this http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35 and install. Even if you believe you already have the most recent direct x installed.
Related resources
April 28, 2012 3:26:39 AM

Yeah, I've done all this stuff. I finally got it to work today after restarting 5 or 6 times in a row. I have it set to run admin, disable screen dis, and 98/me comp mode. For some reason it works now
Score
May 6, 2012 9:12:02 PM

So if anyone is having this problem, please do what I did. It didn't work the first time so try and run it in the smallest window possible. There is an option for it in the properties when you right-click the 101launcher. But if you keep trying, I promise it will work. :pt1cable: 
Score
May 13, 2012 5:50:31 AM

Best answer selected by bigtrev85.
Score
January 15, 2013 12:08:10 AM

I have tried all of this, however i cant get Steam to verify the integrity of the game cache, it keeps stalling out and not doing anything, can someone help me figure this out.
Score
March 23, 2013 6:03:45 AM

Thanks, it has worked.
Score
!