Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Does Not Receive Print Notification Messages (revisiting)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:26:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hello friends,

This question has been asked before in the group, but I
found no answer to it.
"A print server (Win 2000 sp3) is setup to send
print notifications. They work fine going to Win2000 Pro
workstations but the WinXP's do not receive any
notification.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks." (Bill.Slade 2003-1-29)

I have the same problem, but I have done a few further tests:

1) The smb message containing the notification
eg. "Printing complete" actually *reaches* the workstation,
as the "ethereal" network sniffer proved. This means that
the printer and the print server do their job correctly.

2) When I send a
> net send my_xp "Hello" or
> echo "Hello" | smbclient -M my_xp
to the computer, the popup appears ok, BUT, if I send
> net send my_xp "Printing complete"
the popup message is NOT SHOWN!!!

I have spend many hours searching for a solution on this,
and have thoroughly consulted what is commonly mentioned, eg.
the option "Notify when Remote Documents are Printed" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q122160
etc.

Could someone please give an educated reply on
this strange problem?

Many thanks for any help,
Regards,
Thanos Siaperas
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:47:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

That's just because very few of us have had the luxury of using Windows 2003
Server Fax, so we can't troubleshoot it. This is one of the few public
newsgroups, however, where the developers often pitch in and help out. So
just be patient. Someone familiar with Windows 2003 Fax will come along.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Thanus S." <thanus@auth.gr> wrote in message
news:345e5bb0.0405250826.17065f84@posting.google.com...
> Hello friends,
>
> This question has been asked before in the group, but I
> found no answer to it.
> "A print server (Win 2000 sp3) is setup to send
> print notifications. They work fine going to Win2000 Pro
> workstations but the WinXP's do not receive any
> notification.
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks." (Bill.Slade 2003-1-29)
>
> I have the same problem, but I have done a few further tests:
>
> 1) The smb message containing the notification
> eg. "Printing complete" actually *reaches* the workstation,
> as the "ethereal" network sniffer proved. This means that
> the printer and the print server do their job correctly.
>
> 2) When I send a
> > net send my_xp "Hello" or
> > echo "Hello" | smbclient -M my_xp
> to the computer, the popup appears ok, BUT, if I send
> > net send my_xp "Printing complete"
> the popup message is NOT SHOWN!!!
>
> I have spend many hours searching for a solution on this,
> and have thoroughly consulted what is commonly mentioned, eg.
> the option "Notify when Remote Documents are Printed" at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q122160
> etc.
>
> Could someone please give an educated reply on
> this strange problem?
>
> Many thanks for any help,
> Regards,
> Thanos Siaperas
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 8:29:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Dear Russ, et al.
The server isn't Windows 2003, but "Windows 2000 Service Pack 3".
The problem is unrelated to the server, anyway, because, the
notification is sent ok and reaches the client, but the client
just refuses to show it. You can see my original post for details.

Any advise on this one would be greatly appreciated,
Best regards,
Thanos Siaperas


"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uSB$lHqQEHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> That's just because very few of us have had the luxury of using Windows 2003
> Server Fax, so we can't troubleshoot it. This is one of the few public
> newsgroups, however, where the developers often pitch in and help out. So
> just be patient. Someone familiar with Windows 2003 Fax will come along.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 9:50:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Sorry. Misread your post. Never mind.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Thanus S." <thanus123@cedefop.eu.int> wrote in message
news:378c5768.0405260329.a1f1314@posting.google.com...
> Dear Russ, et al.
> The server isn't Windows 2003, but "Windows 2000 Service Pack 3".
> The problem is unrelated to the server, anyway, because, the
> notification is sent ok and reaches the client, but the client
> just refuses to show it. You can see my original post for details.
>
> Any advise on this one would be greatly appreciated,
> Best regards,
> Thanos Siaperas
>
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:<uSB$lHqQEHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > That's just because very few of us have had the luxury of using Windows
2003
> > Server Fax, so we can't troubleshoot it. This is one of the few public
> > newsgroups, however, where the developers often pitch in and help out.
So
> > just be patient. Someone familiar with Windows 2003 Fax will come along.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
!