Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just ordered a Volcano II because it was cheap, looked like a FOP-32, and available at a store I was already ordering from. If it's not that good I can resell it. I am already using the big Intel OEM cooler. Does anybody know whether this is better (in other words, is it worth my time to mount it)?

Suicide is painless...........

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know that the fan is no where near as good as the hype. They say vol. II puts out 36cfm, but it actually puts out more like 26-27. Same as the fop 32 fan. That's all I know, from exp. I've yet to actually try out the sink though. It's sitting here beside me now.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I noticed they rated the noise level unreasonably low also. But what I really wanted to know is how they compare to my Intel OEM cooler, which Tom rated favorably in the middle of his comparison. It will be here in a few days, and I wanted to know if it was worth my time to mount it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Although I have not installed it yet, this is a hefty piece! It is about 15mm taller than the Coolmaster unit and the fan itself is twice as tall! I'll let you know the results.

G

When I got my VolcanoII last week I was dissapointed to find that the finish on the bottom was relatively rough. In fact, it had kind of a gouge about the width of a pencil lead right across where it would contact the CPU. I lapped it down so it's nice & smooth now.

It is very quiet though (quieter then my Antec case fans), and mounts easily. The temp in the bios was low, but I don't remember the numbers off hand. I'm still setting up the system, so I can't comment on temperatures under load yet.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already set it up and tested it, it's a fairly good cooler, I even did a review on it in this forum. BTW, I cleaned mine up with a Scotchbrite pad before applying paste. You should read the review.

G

Yea, I saw the review...well done.
I just thought I'd add my $0.02 regarding the machining quality on the bottom of my unit. A Scotchbrite pad wouldn't have handled it, it tool a few minutes on 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get out that gouge I mentioned. I then went to 600 grit paper followed by some rubbing compund.

Beyond that, I'm happy with it so far. And I probably would have lapped the bottom anyway.

In practice, there is.

G

Well, this is the first SocketA HSF I've installed, but I had no problem with it at all. Just pop it on with a flatblade screwdriver.

I should also mention that I found the noise level very acceptable with the case open. I haven't run it closed yet.

I'm hoping to get my system completed in the next day or so, then I'll post some temps. It's a 1.2GHz AthlonC in an Antec 1030 case.

In practice, there is.

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Ok i've recived my V2 + AS2 today.

I installed it with just the Termagon Pad to see if it was better than the "pink stuff".

Actually i am quite suprised!! I used to have around 53ºC on my TB1.1Ghz (non-OCed) with my previous HSF and now with V2 and STILL WITHOUT AS2 (as i said i didn't used it yet 'cause the TB is temporary so i didn't want to waste any precious AS2), i'm getting around 42ºC AT FULL LOAD (running Seti for half an hour now).

Quite impressive indeend a 11/10ºC drop in it's out of the Box state (no griding nor scrubbing the base) and with the Thermagon Pad. (maybe my previous HSF was really crappy :))

Anyway you guys say the noise is very acceptable?? Jesus i didn't buy the FOP38 because of the high noise, and I CAN'T HEAR the V2.. in my system that's as noiseless as it gets....
I'm beggining to think that i overreacted on the noise issue in the FOP38, should have bought one instead... but hey! 42ºC THAT'S FANTASTIC.

I recommended very much indeed

BTW: I'm running with my case open, and OCed to 8x150Mhz (1.2Ghz, not much of an OC, but it's still an OC) and i'm getting 43/44ºC
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bombastik on 04/02/01 03:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
I didn't said that either... i was just SO impressed with the HSF that I sounded that way :).

Anyway, now that i'm paying close attention, there is a SLIGHT noticeable high pitch sound, but as I said, i mostly leave my computer on at night in my room, so it kindda rocks you to sleep :)

I just noticed something a bit odd. In the reviews I saw they all said that the FAN was screwed on a sliding cover that could be removed if you removed a small screw between one of the vertical holes on the sides almost completely covered, that was keeping it in place.

Strangely enough, mine doesn't have that screw. Instead the sliding rail has been cut verticly so the sliding rail piece that is between the two cuts is slightly bend in direction out of the HeatSink, keeping the sliding cover in place (kind like a snap-On thing).

So to take the cover out you have to press that part... but the problem is that it's almost impossible to do that because as you know Aluminium is rather rigid so it doesn't bend well, and if you press too hard it might break.

Can anyone confirm this on their V2?

Don't believe blindly in what you hear! - Play safe! Play hard!

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
You mean that in both covered sides (the ones with a large vertical cut) of the Heatsink, the sliding rail is the same?

Perhaps you've missed it, because i only noticed it because i was looking for the screw and because i didn't saw it looked on one of the sides that are open and noticed that that little bit was bend to the outside.

1mm in what? The sliding cover (trying to slide the cover) or pressing the snap clip?

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Ok i've now played NOLF for 1 hour straight with Seti@Home running too (we can call it then, full load)... and i got 45ºC.

That's at 8x150Mhz (1200Mhz), at the TB default (11x100=1100Mhz) i get around 43ºC... a 2ºC increase for 100Mhz... not bad for the VolcanoII

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I might have missed it, but I thought the sliding rail was the same on both sides. Yes, I could slide the cover in the rail about 1mm. And it was a tough push. So I though it was a tension fit.

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Yep .. my also budges for around 1mm. But i can notice that it is rather stuck on one of the sides (the one with the snapOn thingy)