Upgrade Motherboard on 5BW160

Hi All,

I've a Compaq Presario (Model: 5BW160) that came with a P-III/700Mhz.
I wanted to upgrade the Motherboard and processor to P-4 2.8AGHz. I
got a motherboard combo online. I am looking for some info if the
upgrade will be possible. Compaq used to have a document on their
site that described how to replace the motherboard that is no longer
available. I've a 648-FX Motherboard that I hope to replace.

Any help will deeply appreciated

Rajesh
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade motherboard 5bw160

    You also need to replace the power supply with one capable of powering a Pentium
    4, which requires an additional 12 connector to the motherboard. Your best bet
    is to mount the motherboard in a new case, then move all the devices from the
    Compaq case to the new one.

    Not exactly sure which model of Presario you have there, but many of them have
    some unusual connectors to the front panel. I did a replacement of a blown
    Presario motherboard, but used a nearly new and more standard case for eveything
    else... Ben Myers

    On 1 Oct 2004 23:02:36 -0400, draj01@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (rdukb)
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I've a Compaq Presario (Model: 5BW160) that came with a P-III/700Mhz.
    >I wanted to upgrade the Motherboard and processor to P-4 2.8AGHz. I
    >got a motherboard combo online. I am looking for some info if the
    >upgrade will be possible. Compaq used to have a document on their
    >site that described how to replace the motherboard that is no longer
    >available. I've a 648-FX Motherboard that I hope to replace.
    >
    >Any help will deeply appreciated
    >
    >Rajesh

    Check the Compaq FAQ re: swapping out motherboards in Presarios. Not usually
    a wise move.
    HH

    "rdukb" <draj01@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've a Compaq Presario (Model: 5BW160) that came with a P-III/700Mhz.
    > I wanted to upgrade the Motherboard and processor to P-4 2.8AGHz. I
    > got a motherboard combo online. I am looking for some info if the
    > upgrade will be possible. Compaq used to have a document on their
    > site that described how to replace the motherboard that is no longer
    > available. I've a 648-FX Motherboard that I hope to replace.
    >
    > Any help will deeply appreciated
    >
    > Rajesh

Compaq Motherboards Computers