European Advice to buy a HSF

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
I currently own a Asus A7V133 with B-type TB 1.1Ghz and standard cooler.

The temperartures i get on full load are 52ºC with MBM and 62ºC with Asus Probe with the case open. With the case closed add +2ºC.

These temperatures are clearly inadequate and i'm REALLY considering investing on a good HSF for this processor. But also i don't like noisy HSFs.

I've come up with some decisions to HSFs with good performance/noise ratios to my linking.

Basicly i'm undecisve between the Thermaltake Chrome Orb and the GlobalWin FOP32-1.

Now, the problem is that i live in Portugal, and over here getting "above-average" HSFs is a really pain in the but.

Basicly if one wants a "above-average" HSF the only ones one can get are the Thermaltake's Orbs (Chrome Orb and Super Orb) which cost about 6000$00 and 7500$00. I can't find any retailer or representative for GlobalWin so if i should go for the FOP32-1 i'll probably be ordering it from an European contry and it should cost about 8500$00 (because of the transport, the HSF itself is around 5500$00)

I'll advance in saying that i favor the FOP32-1, but because of the trouble of having to order it abroad i'm more inclined for the Chorme Orb (it's the diference of paying 6000$00 and having it now VS paying 8500$00 and having to wait for it).

I need your help/advice on this issues:

1º Which HSF has better performance/noise (again i say, noise is an importante issue for me). The Chrome Orb or the FOP32-1.

2º Does anybody know a good cheap reseller for GlobalWin in Portugal or nearby?

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I don't have the specifics you're really looking for, but in case you haven't seen it, you might want to read this thread on "Orbs" <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=630326#630326" target="_new"><font color=blue>HERE</font color=blue></A> before you buy one. Most (but not all) feel they are a poor design for a number of reasons. Hope you can find something good that you can actually get your hands on.

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Firstly, 52-54 degrees at load that you are getting for a 1.1 ghz non-overclocked Athlon is not excessive. However, you would just like it to run cooler, by all means, get a better cooler.

Secondly, the Chrome Orb might not be the one to choose.

Search these forums and you will see posts from users of the Chrome Orb who are getting temperatures like 59 and 61 degrees with Athlons that are slower than yours.

FUBAR

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
If you don't want a noisy HSf then I'd get a Taisol CGK742092 or the Thermoengine with the slower fan. You can order both of these from OcUK (www.overclockers.co.uk) and also get the Globalwin and superorb you mentioned above. I don't think that the shipping is that high to europpean countries so you should be ok.

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Thank you all for your support.

First of all i don't like the Orbs, and the only reason i'm considering buying one is because they are available rather easly over here in Portugal.

I've visisted OCUk and found it with prices very acessible (thanks fubar), ordering a FOP32-1 or a Thermoengine is now a reallity for me.

Anyways, in my quest i asked a person over here in Portugal about his problem and he advived me to buy a Thermaltake Volcano II, since he says in terms of performance is a tad better than the Super Orb and very similar with the FOP32-1, laying between the FOP32-1 and the FOP38, and in terms of noise it makes the same or less noise than the FOP32-1, so i stays in the middle of the FOP32-1 and FOP38 (more near the FOP32-1).

Now the catch is that i found a representative that sells me a Tt Volcano II + 1 seringe of Artic Silver II for a price lower than the FOP32-1 thru OCuk. As you can see it's really cheap and it's in Portugal.

So the Orbs are cast aside, so de indecision now lies between the GW FOP32-1 and Tt VolcanoII.

I've been reading alot of reviews (linked from the news at Anandtechs) and they say the VolcanoII is very good and SLIGHTLY better then the FOP32-1. Does anyone have a VolcanoII??? I'm really thinking of buying this baby, but i need some opinions