Can't preview fax

May 26, 2004 1:10:43 PM

Hello all,

I have what I hope is a small problem.
I can't view any of my faxes, I can print them OK but can't view them.
I checked to see what is being used to open the .tif and .tiff files, it is
windows picture and fax viewer. I even changed it to paint and still can't
view them.
When I double click them, I get an hourglass for a second then nothing
happens.
I uninstalled the fax program using add/remove programs and then
reinstalled, no help.
Any ideas?

Dunnie

More about : preview fax

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 9:51:24 PM

Most often, this problem arises because some other imaging application that
you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. To view
faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your
default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows
Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command line
should read:

"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rick Dunmire" <dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
news:o Hz8AKyQEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello all,
>
> I have what I hope is a small problem.
> I can't view any of my faxes, I can print them OK but can't view them.
> I checked to see what is being used to open the .tif and .tiff files, it
is
> windows picture and fax viewer. I even changed it to paint and still can't
> view them.
> When I double click them, I get an hourglass for a second then nothing
> happens.
> I uninstalled the fax program using add/remove programs and then
> reinstalled, no help.
> Any ideas?
>
> Dunnie

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 11:17:06 PM

Thanks Russ,

I was following the earlier post with that but I even went to the archive
folder for the fax and set the .tiff files to use the fax viewer and it
still doesn't work. If I open the files from the fax folder from windows
explorer, they will open but not from the fax program.

Dunnie

> Most often, this problem arises because some other imaging application
that
> you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. To view
> faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be
your
> default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in
Windows
> Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command line
> should read:
>
> "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
%1"

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Rick Dunmire" <dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> news:o Hz8AKyQEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have what I hope is a small problem.
> > I can't view any of my faxes, I can print them OK but can't view them.
> > I checked to see what is being used to open the .tif and .tiff files, it
> is
> > windows picture and fax viewer. I even changed it to paint and still
can't
> > view them.
> > When I double click them, I get an hourglass for a second then nothing
> > happens.
> > I uninstalled the fax program using add/remove programs and then
> > reinstalled, no help.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Dunnie

May 27, 2004 12:30:49 AM

Provide at least a little information please. Specify your file association
for TIF files.
--
> Thanks Russ,
>
> I was following the earlier post with that but I even went to the archive
> folder for the fax and set the .tiff files to use the fax viewer and it
> still doesn't work. If I open the files from the fax folder from windows
> explorer, they will open but not from the fax program.
>
> Dunnie
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Most often, this problem arises because some other imaging application
> that
> > you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. To
view
> > faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be
> your
> > default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in
> Windows
> > Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command line
> > should read:
> >
> > "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
> %1"
> >

> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Rick Dunmire" <dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > news:o Hz8AKyQEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I have what I hope is a small problem.
> > > I can't view any of my faxes, I can print them OK but can't view them.
> > > I checked to see what is being used to open the .tif and .tiff files,
it
> > is
> > > windows picture and fax viewer. I even changed it to paint and still
> can't
> > > view them.
> > > When I double click them, I get an hourglass for a second then nothing
> > > happens.
> > > I uninstalled the fax program using add/remove programs and then
> > > reinstalled, no help.
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Dunnie

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 10:32:04 AM

If I go to Start\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer and select
Tools\Folder Options\File Types and look at the .tif and .tiff, they open
with Windows Imaging and Fax viewer. Is this what you are talking about?

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 10:15:17 PM

Path statement please?
Does it match the one I posted?

--
> If I go to Start\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer and select
> Tools\Folder Options\File Types and look at the .tif and .tiff, they open
> with Windows Imaging and Fax viewer. Is this what you are talking about?
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Provide at least a little information please. Specify your file
> association
> > for TIF files.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Russ,
> > >
> > > I was following the earlier post with that but I even went to the
> archive
> > > folder for the fax and set the .tiff files to use the fax viewer and
it
> > > still doesn't work. If I open the files from the fax folder from
windows
> > > explorer, they will open but not from the fax program.
> > >
> > > Dunnie
> > >

> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > that
> > view
> > > your
> > > Windows

> <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
> > > %1"

> them.
> files,
> > it
> > > can't
> nothing

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:30:42 AM

Where is the path statement. Under File Type, I see nothing about path.
There is no place to enter this path.
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1
Am I missing some option or something?

I am trying not to be dumb but I have looked on 2 different machines and
can't find
any place to add, edit a path.

> Path statement please?
> Does it match the one I posted?
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > If I go to Start\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer and select
> > Tools\Folder Options\File Types and look at the .tif and .tiff, they
open
> > with Windows Imaging and Fax viewer. Is this what you are talking about?
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Provide at least a little information please. Specify your file
> > association
> > > for TIF files.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message

> > archive
> it
> windows

> application
> > > view
> be
> line

> > <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

> > them.
> > files,
> > > it
> still
> > nothing

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 3:33:32 AM

Advanced > Open > Edit... > Application used to perform operation

--
> Where is the path statement. Under File Type, I see nothing about path.
> There is no place to enter this path.
> rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1
> Am I missing some option or something?
>
> I am trying not to be dumb but I have looked on 2 different machines and
> can't find
> any place to add, edit a path.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Path statement please?
> > Does it match the one I posted?
> >
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > > If I go to Start\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer and select
> > > Tools\Folder Options\File Types and look at the .tif and .tiff, they
> open
> > > with Windows Imaging and Fax viewer. Is this what you are talking
about?

> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > association

> > > archive
> > it
> > windows

> > application
> must
> > be
> in
> > line

> > > <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

> > > them.
> > > files,
> > still
> > > nothing

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:14:39 AM

On the File Types tab,I highlighted the TIF File under File Types (in the
listview). In the "Details for 'TIF' extension frame, I have 2 buttons,
"Change" and "Restore", no "Advance". If I click the "Restore" button the
..tif then has no program associated with it and I get the Advanced button.
If I click it, I get a form named "Edit File Types" but no "Open" button and
the "Edit" button is disabled. I have a button called "New" so I tried to
add a new option but the path listed below will not fit in the "Action" text
field on the New Action form (it won't hold all of the characters).

> Advanced > Open > Edit... > Application used to perform operation
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > Where is the path statement. Under File Type, I see nothing about path.
> > There is no place to enter this path.
> > rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1
> > Am I missing some option or something?
> >
> > I am trying not to be dumb but I have looked on 2 different machines and
> > can't find
> > any place to add, edit a path.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Path statement please?
> > > Does it match the one I posted?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > open
> about?

> and
> > > it
> > > windows

> > > application
> files.
> > must
> > > be
> setting
> > in
> command
> > > line

> view
> > > still
> then

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:14:40 AM

Bingo.
So you have no file association for TIF files.
How did that happen?
Why can't you just click on the Change button and assign the open verb fir
TIF files to the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from the GUI?

--
> On the File Types tab,I highlighted the TIF File under File Types (in the
> listview). In the "Details for 'TIF' extension frame, I have 2 buttons,
> "Change" and "Restore", no "Advance". If I click the "Restore" button the
> .tif then has no program associated with it and I get the Advanced button.
> If I click it, I get a form named "Edit File Types" but no "Open" button
and
> the "Edit" button is disabled. I have a button called "New" so I tried to
> add a new option but the path listed below will not fit in the "Action"
text
> field on the New Action form (it won't hold all of the characters).
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Advanced > Open > Edit... > Application used to perform operation
> >
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > > Where is the path statement. Under File Type, I see nothing about
path.
> > > There is no place to enter this path.
> > > rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1
> > > Am I missing some option or something?
> > >
> > > I am trying not to be dumb but I have looked on 2 different machines
and
> > > can't find
> > > any place to add, edit a path.
> > >
> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > > open
> > about?

> the
> > and

> message
> > files.
> > > must
> > setting
> > > in
> > command

> > view
> .tiff
> and
> then
> > then

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:48:27 AM

That's what I originally did when I started dealing with this problem
Posted on down some
(If I go to Start\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer and select
Tools\Folder Options\File Types and look at the .tif and .tiff, they
open with Windows Imaging and Fax viewer. Is this what you are talking
about?).

At this point there is no advanced button and I can't set any path.
The only way to get an advanced button is for me to click the restore button

(If I click the "Restore" button the .tif then has no program associated
with it
and I get the Advanced button).

I even went to Windows Explorer and clicked a .tif file and it was opened
using
Windows Imaging and Fax viewer but will not open from the fax console.

> Bingo.
> So you have no file association for TIF files.
> How did that happen?
> Why can't you just click on the Change button and assign the open verb fir
> TIF files to the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from the GUI?
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> > On the File Types tab,I highlighted the TIF File under File Types (in
the
> > listview). In the "Details for 'TIF' extension frame, I have 2 buttons,
> > "Change" and "Restore", no "Advance". If I click the "Restore" button
the
> > .tif then has no program associated with it and I get the Advanced
button.
> > If I click it, I get a form named "Edit File Types" but no "Open" button
> and
> > the "Edit" button is disabled. I have a button called "New" so I tried
> > add a new option but the path listed below will not fit in the "Action"
> text
> > field on the New Action form (it won't hold all of the characters).
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Advanced > Open > Edit... > Application used to perform operation
> > >
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> path.

> and

> they
> > > about?

> > the
> viewer
> > > and
> from

> > message
> > > files.
> viewer
> > > setting
> > > command

> can't
> > > view
> > .tiff
> > and
> > then
> and
> > > then

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:48:28 AM

I thought you said you had a "Change..." button.
You listed it as being present in your post.
--
> [...]
> > > On the File Types tab,I highlighted the TIF File under File Types (in
> the
> > > listview). In the "Details for 'TIF' extension frame, I have 2
buttons,
> > > "Change" and "Restore", no "Advance". If I click the "Restore" button
> the
> > > .tif then has no program associated with it and I get the Advanced
> button.
> > > If I click it, I get a form named "Edit File Types" but no "Open"
button
> > and
> > > the "Edit" button is disabled. I have a button called "New" so I tried
> > > add a new option but the path listed below will not fit in the
"Action"
> > text
> > > field on the New Action form (it won't hold all of the characters).

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 12:52:11 PM

If I go to the File Types tab from the Folder Option form, I show a TIF
extension in the listview. Its file type
is TIF File. If I click on the TIF file type, I then have in the lower half
of the form, a frame with
Details for 'TIF' extension as the caption. In that frame I have 2 buttons.
One called Change and one called
Restore. I click change and I then have a new form open with "Open With" as
the caption. I select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and click OK.
Is this correct so far?

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 8:40:58 PM

That should do it.
Did it?
--
news:o igY6ILREHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
associated
> > > with it
> > > and I get the Advanced button).
> > >
> > > I even went to Windows Explorer and clicked a .tif file and it was
> opened
> > > using
> > > Windows Imaging and Fax viewer but will not open from the fax console.
> > >

> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > fir

> (in
> > > the
> > buttons,
> button
> > > the
> > > button.
> > button
> tried
> > "Action"

> about
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 1:23:50 AM

Nope, still won't open. I can go into the Windows Explorer and double click
any .tif file and it will open
fine but not from the Fax Console. I can even go to the actual fax file in
the folder from Windows Explorer and
open it with a double click.
I am really lost here. This makes no sense. Its like the Fax Console is
messed up some where.

> That should do it.
> Did it?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Rick Dunmire" <dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message
> news:o igY6ILREHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > If I go to the File Types tab from the Folder Option form, I show a TIF
> > extension in the listview. Its file type
> > is TIF File. If I click on the TIF file type, I then have in the lower
> half
> > of the form, a frame with
> > Details for 'TIF' extension as the caption. In that frame I have 2
> buttons.
> > One called Change and one called
> > Restore. I click change and I then have a new form open with "Open With"
> as
> > the caption. I select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and click OK.
> > Is this correct so far?
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > I thought you said you had a "Change..." button.
> > > You listed it as being present in your post.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Rick Dunmire >" <<dunnie@STOP SPAM.pa.net> wrote in message

> > > button

> associated

> > opened

> verb
> > > fir

Types
> > (in
> > > buttons,
> > button
> > > button
> > tried
> > > "Action"
> characters).

> operation

> > about
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
> > > %1

> > > machines

> > message

> > > .tiff,

> your
> > message

> > went
> > fax
> > > folder

> wrote
> > in
> > > imaging
> for
> > > TIF
> > Fax
> > > that
> users
> > > the

<drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

> > > message

OK
> > but
> .tif
> > > and
> > > programs

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 6:37:32 AM

Does this help?:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011
You Cannot Preview a Fax in the Fax Console

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN

> [...]
> > > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

> > > message

> message
> and
> are

> in
Specify
> > your
> > > message

> even
> > > went
> the
> > > fax
> program.

> > wrote
> > > in
> > for
> and
> > > Fax
> restore
> > users

> <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 9:48:58 AM

Thanks, Hal. I lost track of this thread.
Hal's exactly right. Now that you've associated TIF files, correctly, this
is the next troubleshooting step.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

<russval@mvps.org>
> > > wrote
> other
> viewer
> > > for
Imaging
> > and
> > restore
> > > users

> > <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

> in

> > OK
> the
> > > .tif
> > it
> for

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 1:39:17 AM

Thanks Guys,

I thought I was a gonner there for a while.
I would have responded sooner but I got someking of a thing that wouldn't
let my computer restart so
I had to do a lowlevel format (not a pretty thing) and just got backup and
running this afternoon. To bad
this wasn't the computer affected with the fax problem though. Would have
saved some digging. I won't
get back to that computer until Tuesday morning, then I can try the link
that you posted Hal. I will be in
touch.

Dunnie

> [...]
> > > message
> Explorer
> > > and
> > and
> you
> > > are

> > wrote
> > > in
> > Specify
> in

> > > even
> use
> > > the
> > fax
> > > program.

> <russval@mvps.org>
> > other
> > viewer
> Imaging
> > > and
> > > restore
> most

> > > <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 12:04:05 PM

Thanks guys,

SP1 was the problem and the hotfix did the trick.

Dunnie

<russval@mvps.org>

!