Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Engineers: SID flip-flopping, Verizon WONT HELP what do I ..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:36:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant get
any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.

I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's, #328
(Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID). My phone,
and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my location,
plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the result is that
roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not ring, and roughly
70% of all txt and voicemail notifications are between 10 minutes
to multiple hours late. It appears that when the system thinks
a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed to #328,
even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my calls get dropped
and txts put on hold until I magically get flopped back to #328,
then txts will DUMP to me multiple at a time like "ohh there
you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a "solution"
because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out of my "home area".
I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
(5 bar almost always!)

Two trouble tickets have been opened and closed with engineers
leaving me voicemails similar to "ohh you are in a problem
spot and we'll make note on your account". This isn't a SOLUTION,
this is just an admittence of guilt.

How is it that things worked great 6 months ago, but no one
will research this? Seems to me to be a software routing problem,
thus it should be resolvable since it's not infrastructure
related (thank god!) as i get good signal.

What should I do at this point? Three verizon accounts
per month and I get 30% of what I'm paying for, plus the
obvious safety issues and lack of service goes without saying.
I just want it to work.

Hell I'd even reprogram my two LG's and
my t720 if someone had instructions for me that would do
something useful to prevent the flipflop from SID to SID.

Anyone have any inside tracks? Phone #'s for managers? Any
suggestions at all?

Thanks for your assistance!
~B
wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:53:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

call and ask for a credit every month or they fix it.....

if they say no then say wave the ETF.

or have them help pay for a external antenna... who knows you might get the
some help from some goone somewhere in vzw land


"WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107931003.590747.95630@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
> this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
> and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant get
> any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
> track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.
>
> I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's, #328
> (Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID). My phone,
> and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my location,
> plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the result is that
> roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not ring, and roughly
> 70% of all txt and voicemail notifications are between 10 minutes
> to multiple hours late. It appears that when the system thinks
> a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed to #328,
> even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my calls get dropped
> and txts put on hold until I magically get flopped back to #328,
> then txts will DUMP to me multiple at a time like "ohh there
> you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
> normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a "solution"
> because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out of my "home area".
> I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
> (5 bar almost always!)
>
> Two trouble tickets have been opened and closed with engineers
> leaving me voicemails similar to "ohh you are in a problem
> spot and we'll make note on your account". This isn't a SOLUTION,
> this is just an admittence of guilt.
>
> How is it that things worked great 6 months ago, but no one
> will research this? Seems to me to be a software routing problem,
> thus it should be resolvable since it's not infrastructure
> related (thank god!) as i get good signal.
>
> What should I do at this point? Three verizon accounts
> per month and I get 30% of what I'm paying for, plus the
> obvious safety issues and lack of service goes without saying.
> I just want it to work.
>
> Hell I'd even reprogram my two LG's and
> my t720 if someone had instructions for me that would do
> something useful to prevent the flipflop from SID to SID.
>
> Anyone have any inside tracks? Phone #'s for managers? Any
> suggestions at all?
>
> Thanks for your assistance!
> ~B
> wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
>
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:19:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

He has good reception. I don't think and external antenna
is going to do anything for him.

Asking/politely demanding a credit (50%? 100%?) each
month for acknowledged problems with service is a good
start. Escalate to supervisor each time. I would also write
(email?) VZW offices and ask for a more detailed technical
explanation of what's happening. Describe the problem as
you have here and what you've been told so far. Not only
might you get to know why but it brings it to their attention
and you might get to know of a planned (or not) resolution
and date.

-Quick

nickel wrote:
> call and ask for a credit every month or they fix it.....
>
> if they say no then say wave the ETF.
>
> or have them help pay for a external antenna... who knows
> you might get the some help from some goone somewhere in
> vzw land
>
>
> "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1107931003.590747.95630@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
>> this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
>> and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant
>> get
>> any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
>> track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.
>>
>> I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's,
>> #328 (Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID).
>> My phone,
>> and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my
>> location, plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the
>> result is that roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not
>> ring, and roughly 70% of all txt and voicemail
>> notifications are between 10 minutes to multiple hours
>> late. It appears that when the system thinks
>> a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed
>> to #328, even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my
>> calls get dropped and txts put on hold until I magically
>> get flopped back to #328, then txts will DUMP to me
>> multiple at a time like "ohh there
>> you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
>> normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a
>> "solution" because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out
>> of my "home area".
>> I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
>> (5 bar almost always!)
>>
>> Two trouble tickets have been opened and closed with
>> engineers leaving me voicemails similar to "ohh you are
>> in a problem
>> spot and we'll make note on your account". This isn't a
>> SOLUTION, this is just an admittence of guilt.
>>
>> How is it that things worked great 6 months ago, but no
>> one
>> will research this? Seems to me to be a software
>> routing problem, thus it should be resolvable since it's
>> not infrastructure related (thank god!) as i get good
>> signal.
>>
>> What should I do at this point? Three verizon accounts
>> per month and I get 30% of what I'm paying for, plus the
>> obvious safety issues and lack of service goes without
>> saying.
>> I just want it to work.
>>
>> Hell I'd even reprogram my two LG's and
>> my t720 if someone had instructions for me that would do
>> something useful to prevent the flipflop from SID to SID.
>>
>> Anyone have any inside tracks? Phone #'s for managers?
>> Any suggestions at all?
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance!
>> ~B
>> wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
Related resources
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:28:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

An interim solution would be to force your phone to one SID. Its not
an optimal solution, but it may help.

Dave
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:38:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I have the same problem. My solution was to program my phone number and the
SID that gives me the best reception into my phone under NAM2. Whenever I'm
around this area it works perfectly fine. If I leave this area with my phone
still set for NAM 2, then it picks up whatever B-side system it feels like
without paying attention to the PRL. (My local SID is B-side).

Of course that means I could get a non-preferred system and incur a roaming
charge. So, I usually try to set my phone to "Home Only" when I'm around the
local area. When I drive away from here I have to switch it over to NAM 1,
which follows the PRL and is not set for "home only". If I drive out of
range of my favorite SID and leave the phone on NAM 2 / Home Only, then it
will say "no service", but I think that's better than inadvertently using
the phone on the wrong system and getting a roaming charge. I might miss an
incomming call or two after I drive away when I forget to switch it back to
NAM 1, but I think I missed a lot more calls back when the stupid phone kept
ping-ponging back and forth all the time. When I go to make an outgoing call
and see "no service" it is a clear reminder to switch it over to NAM 1, so
that isn't that big of a problem.

-Jeff


"WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107931003.590747.95630@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
> this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
> and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant get
> any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
> track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.
>
> I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's, #328
> (Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID). My phone,
> and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my location,
> plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the result is that
> roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not ring, and roughly
> 70% of all txt and voicemail notifications are between 10 minutes
> to multiple hours late. It appears that when the system thinks
> a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed to #328,
> even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my calls get dropped
> and txts put on hold until I magically get flopped back to #328,
> then txts will DUMP to me multiple at a time like "ohh there
> you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
> normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a "solution"
> because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out of my "home area".
> I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
> (5 bar almost always!)
>
> Two trouble tickets have been opened and closed with engineers
> leaving me voicemails similar to "ohh you are in a problem
> spot and we'll make note on your account". This isn't a SOLUTION,
> this is just an admittence of guilt.
>
> How is it that things worked great 6 months ago, but no one
> will research this? Seems to me to be a software routing problem,
> thus it should be resolvable since it's not infrastructure
> related (thank god!) as i get good signal.
>
> What should I do at this point? Three verizon accounts
> per month and I get 30% of what I'm paying for, plus the
> obvious safety issues and lack of service goes without saying.
> I just want it to work.
>
> Hell I'd even reprogram my two LG's and
> my t720 if someone had instructions for me that would do
> something useful to prevent the flipflop from SID to SID.
>
> Anyone have any inside tracks? Phone #'s for managers? Any
> suggestions at all?
>
> Thanks for your assistance!
> ~B
> wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
>
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Nice. (don't ever do a *228 while on NAM2...).
One thing. Not all phones with VZW firmware treat
"Home Only" the same. Although with your setup
and lack of PRL it wouldn't matter.

-Quick

Jeff P. wrote:
> I have the same problem. My solution was to program my
> phone number and the SID that gives me the best reception
> into my phone under NAM2. Whenever I'm around this area
> it works perfectly fine. If I leave this area with my
> phone still set for NAM 2, then it picks up whatever
> B-side system it feels like without paying attention to
> the PRL. (My local SID is B-side).
>
> Of course that means I could get a non-preferred system
> and incur a roaming charge. So, I usually try to set my
> phone to "Home Only" when I'm around the local area. When
> I drive away from here I have to switch it over to NAM 1,
> which follows the PRL and is not set for "home only". If
> I drive out of range of my favorite SID and leave the
> phone on NAM 2 / Home Only, then it will say "no
> service", but I think that's better than inadvertently
> using the phone on the wrong system and getting a roaming
> charge. I might miss an incomming call or two after I
> drive away when I forget to switch it back to NAM 1, but
> I think I missed a lot more calls back when the stupid
> phone kept ping-ponging back and forth all the time. When
> I go to make an outgoing call and see "no service" it is
> a clear reminder to switch it over to NAM 1, so that
> isn't that big of a problem.
>
> -Jeff
>
>
> "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1107931003.590747.95630@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
>> this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
>> and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant
>> get
>> any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
>> track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.
>>
>> I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's,
>> #328 (Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID).
>> My phone,
>> and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my
>> location, plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the
>> result is that roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not
>> ring, and roughly 70% of all txt and voicemail
>> notifications are between 10 minutes to multiple hours
>> late. It appears that when the system thinks
>> a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed
>> to #328, even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my
>> calls get dropped and txts put on hold until I magically
>> get flopped back to #328, then txts will DUMP to me
>> multiple at a time like "ohh there
>> you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
>> normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a
>> "solution" because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out
>> of my "home area".
>> I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
>> (5 bar almost always!)
>>
>> Two trouble tickets have been opened and closed with
>> engineers leaving me voicemails similar to "ohh you are
>> in a problem
>> spot and we'll make note on your account". This isn't a
>> SOLUTION, this is just an admittence of guilt.
>>
>> How is it that things worked great 6 months ago, but no
>> one
>> will research this? Seems to me to be a software
>> routing problem, thus it should be resolvable since it's
>> not infrastructure related (thank god!) as i get good
>> signal.
>>
>> What should I do at this point? Three verizon accounts
>> per month and I get 30% of what I'm paying for, plus the
>> obvious safety issues and lack of service goes without
>> saying.
>> I just want it to work.
>>
>> Hell I'd even reprogram my two LG's and
>> my t720 if someone had instructions for me that would do
>> something useful to prevent the flipflop from SID to SID.
>>
>> Anyone have any inside tracks? Phone #'s for managers?
>> Any suggestions at all?
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance!
>> ~B
>> wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:04:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"WildIrish"

| Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
| this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
| and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant get
| any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
| track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.
|
| I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's, #328
| (Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID). My phone,
| and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my location,
| plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the result is that
| roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not ring, and roughly
| 70% of all txt and voicemail notifications are between 10 minutes
| to multiple hours late. It appears that when the system thinks
| a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed to #328,
| even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my calls get dropped
| and txts put on hold until I magically get flopped back to #328,
| then txts will DUMP to me multiple at a time like "ohh there
| you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
| normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a "solution"
| because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out of my "home area".
| I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
| (5 bar almost always!)
|

NEC found (and corrected) that problem back in the mid '90s the solution was
a *minor* tweak to the handset's call processing software. The solution was
published in the trade rags and GTE (VZN's predecessor) was also notified.

The problem can also be addressed from the MTSO side (Ericsson did the fix
also in the mid '90s) but it requires cooperation/coordination between the
two systems.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

It isn't much help but I've been aware of this problem for years (and I know
exactly what you are talking about). Bear in mind that this isn't just a
SID boundry, it's also a NID boundry as well. Historically Linn and Benton
counties were roaming territory that Verizon bought. For one reason or
another, roaming has never been seemless through that area (speaking of
driving I5 through that area). Calls consistently drop. On I5 it's the
boundry between approximately milepost 239 and 249.

Interesting to note, different models of Verizon phones deal with this
situation differently, and some do better than others (which is why you
have an extremely hard time convincing Verizon it's a real problem).

All of my pre-1x phones would simply drop to analog in this area. When
forced to digital, they'd roam on Sprint while driving through the area.
Anyway, I've openned trouble tickets with Verizon with regard to this area
repeatedly, and never had a good answer. I don't live there, so it's not a
deal-breaker for me.

My advice, which I would almost never give except in this type of situation:
Ditch Verizon now, and find another carrier that works for you.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--

"WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107931003.590747.95630@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Here's the short version of a long story. Six months ago
> this problem didn't exist. Something changed in my area
> and I'd love to convince Verizon to fix it, I just cant get
> any help from them so I'm hoping someone has some inside
> track or ideas on how to help me get this solved.
>
> I live, apparently, right in the overlap of two SID's, #328
> (Eugene Oregon SID) and #30 (Portland Oregon SID). My phone,
> and any other Verizon customer within 1 mile of my location,
> plays pingpong between the two SID's, and the result is that
> roughly 70% of all incoming calls do not ring, and roughly
> 70% of all txt and voicemail notifications are between 10 minutes
> to multiple hours late. It appears that when the system thinks
> a phone is on #328 for 20 minutes the call gets routed to #328,
> even though I'm actually NOW flipped #30, so my calls get dropped
> and txts put on hold until I magically get flopped back to #328,
> then txts will DUMP to me multiple at a time like "ohh there
> you are again, here's all your txt's". The systems work
> normal when I'm in home mode, but this is not a "solution"
> because if I travel north 1/2 a mile i'm out of my "home area".
> I don't have an equipment or signal strength issue
> (5 bar almost always!)
>
> Two trouble tickets have been opened and closed with engineers
> leaving me voicemails similar to "ohh you are in a problem
> spot and we'll make note on your account". This isn't a SOLUTION,
> this is just an admittence of guilt.
>
> How is it that things worked great 6 months ago, but no one
> will research this? Seems to me to be a software routing problem,
> thus it should be resolvable since it's not infrastructure
> related (thank god!) as i get good signal.
>
> What should I do at this point? Three verizon accounts
> per month and I get 30% of what I'm paying for, plus the
> obvious safety issues and lack of service goes without saying.
> I just want it to work.
>
> Hell I'd even reprogram my two LG's and
> my t720 if someone had instructions for me that would do
> something useful to prevent the flipflop from SID to SID.
>
> Anyone have any inside tracks? Phone #'s for managers? Any
> suggestions at all?
>
> Thanks for your assistance!
> ~B
> wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
>
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:17:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Forgot to mention-- It's not just a SID and NID boundry. Salem/Portland
use Lucent switches. Eugene uses Motorola. All kinds of stuff isn't
supported on our ancient Motorola switch, including adjusting ring-back time
(the number of rings you hear before VM). The Lucent switches are newer,
and much more capable. So anyway, there's lots of potential causes for the
sick behavior you are seeing, and no I don't think Verizon will ever fix
this.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 6:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Dan I tried emailing you directly as i found a posting you made
back December I believe about the I-5 milepost 240-250 switch problem
but the email address shown on your "about" page of your
cell.uoregon.edu
website kept bouncing. I'd love to talk to you directly about this
due to your experience! Please email me directly
wildirishtiming@hotmail.com

Anyhow, I live at MP 243, and GET THIS... Verizon called me back two
days ago and claimed they FOUND the problem and are expecting a
resolution
for me in a week. Amazing!

Your thoughts Dan? Do you have any inside connection on getting local
verizon problems resolved like the problem you reported to them back
when about the switching from 30 to 328? Because I don't see that
failure
anymore, it switches fine for me all the time now! You must have
gotten lucky with someone!

Let me know!
-Brendan

Dan Albrich wrote:
> Forgot to mention-- It's not just a SID and NID boundry.
Salem/Portland
> use Lucent switches. Eugene uses Motorola. All kinds of stuff isn't
> supported on our ancient Motorola switch, including adjusting
ring-back time
> (the number of rings you hear before VM). The Lucent switches are
newer,
> and much more capable. So anyway, there's lots of potential causes
for the
> sick behavior you are seeing, and no I don't think Verizon will ever
fix
> this.
>
> -Dan
>
> --
>
> =======================
> Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
> http://cell.uoregon.edu
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 1:45:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Yes, as my experience grows I've gotten more able to describe problems in
a manner that is more likely to get them addressed. Despite complaining
anout this section for several years (with no resolution), I finally got a
primary phone capable of displaying debugging information like the SID and
NID.

I had a Kyocera 6035 and that phone, despite being a really cool early
adopter's palm phone has no ability to display debugging information. My
current Kyocera 7135 has a "normal" debug screen which helped me to see
the boundry and describe it better. Anyway, my more recent problem reports
to Verizon had more detail which may indeed have helped. In any event, I
am really pleased that this issue seems to have been addressed for you,
and for other Verizon users.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--

"WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1108251015.541849.123970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dan I tried emailing you directly as i found a posting you made
> back December I believe about the I-5 milepost 240-250 switch problem
> but the email address shown on your "about" page of your
> cell.uoregon.edu
> website kept bouncing. I'd love to talk to you directly about this
> due to your experience! Please email me directly
> wildirishtiming@hotmail.com
>
> Anyhow, I live at MP 243, and GET THIS... Verizon called me back two
> days ago and claimed they FOUND the problem and are expecting a
> resolution
> for me in a week. Amazing!
>
> Your thoughts Dan? Do you have any inside connection on getting local
> verizon problems resolved like the problem you reported to them back
> when about the switching from 30 to 328? Because I don't see that
> failure
> anymore, it switches fine for me all the time now! You must have
> gotten lucky with someone!
>
> Let me know!
> -Brendan
>
> Dan Albrich wrote:
>> Forgot to mention-- It's not just a SID and NID boundry.
> Salem/Portland
>> use Lucent switches. Eugene uses Motorola. All kinds of stuff isn't
>> supported on our ancient Motorola switch, including adjusting
> ring-back time
>> (the number of rings you hear before VM). The Lucent switches are
> newer,
>> and much more capable. So anyway, there's lots of potential causes
> for the
>> sick behavior you are seeing, and no I don't think Verizon will ever
> fix
>> this.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> --
>>
>> =======================
>> Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
>> http://cell.uoregon.edu
>
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 11:32:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Please help solve my ignorance. What is a NID? I know what a SID is but not
a NID.

Thanks,

Jeff

"Dan Albrich" <dalbrich@uoregon.edui> wrote in message
news:-eKdnbzQdK7rapPfRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> Yes, as my experience grows I've gotten more able to describe problems in
> a manner that is more likely to get them addressed. Despite complaining
> anout this section for several years (with no resolution), I finally got a
> primary phone capable of displaying debugging information like the SID and
> NID.
>
> I had a Kyocera 6035 and that phone, despite being a really cool early
> adopter's palm phone has no ability to display debugging information. My
> current Kyocera 7135 has a "normal" debug screen which helped me to see
> the boundry and describe it better. Anyway, my more recent problem reports
> to Verizon had more detail which may indeed have helped. In any event, I
> am really pleased that this issue seems to have been addressed for you,
> and for other Verizon users.
>
> -Dan
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:52:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Network ID. If you look at the PRL, you'll see the Network ID is almost
always 65535. I mean most any companies PRL, not just Verizon.

My phone in debug mode shows the NID change right in that section. The
change coincides with the SID change from 30 to 328 or vice versa. This is
very unusual-- to have any NID that is 65535. I always suspected it had to
do with retaining compatibility with the "old" system Verizon acquired in
the area.

-Dan

PS: I have not verified that the NID still changes in recent time. But I
can tell you for sure that it used to, and right in that section. I haven't
seen this behavior elsewhere.

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--

"Jeff P." <jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11101mflsjtvlf6@corp.supernews.com...
> Please help solve my ignorance. What is a NID? I know what a SID is but
> not a NID.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>
> "Dan Albrich" <dalbrich@uoregon.edui> wrote in message
> news:-eKdnbzQdK7rapPfRVn-tg@comcast.com...
>> Yes, as my experience grows I've gotten more able to describe problems in
>> a manner that is more likely to get them addressed. Despite complaining
>> anout this section for several years (with no resolution), I finally got
>> a
>> primary phone capable of displaying debugging information like the SID
>> and
>> NID.
>>
>> I had a Kyocera 6035 and that phone, despite being a really cool early
>> adopter's palm phone has no ability to display debugging information. My
>> current Kyocera 7135 has a "normal" debug screen which helped me to see
>> the boundry and describe it better. Anyway, my more recent problem
>> reports
>> to Verizon had more detail which may indeed have helped. In any event, I
>> am really pleased that this issue seems to have been addressed for you,
>> and for other Verizon users.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> This is very unusual-- to have any NID that is 65535.

--> should have read is *not* 65535.

By the way, I cannot remember now what the NID changes to, I just know that
it does (or used to change to something else).

I had kinda given up on fighting this particular problem given I reported in
repeatedly over time spanning years, and never saw a resolution.

-Dan
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:21:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Dan Albrich wrote:
>> This is very unusual-- to have any NID that is 65535.
>
> --> should have read is *not* 65535.
>
> By the way, I cannot remember now what the NID changes
> to, I just know that it does (or used to change to
> something else).
>
> I had kinda given up on fighting this particular problem
> given I reported in repeatedly over time spanning years,
> and never saw a resolution.


ummm, I always just guessed that 65535 was a special value
that the code that reads the PRL treats differently? Kind of
like a wild card or ignore value. 65535 just happens to be
the largest unsigned value you can put in 16 bits (all 1s).

-Quick
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:58:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I found my prior post in google (maybe in conversation with you): Anyway,
the NID change for SID 328 is that it goes to zero.

-Dan
..... Old posts follow

> Dan-

> Have you experienced call drops along I-5 just south of Salem where there
> is a boundary between two VZW native systems (30 is the PDX system)? I
> don't



Yes, many, many times, and for around 4 years!

Historically Linn and Benton counties were roaming for Verizon, and even
though Verizon bought this system, traveling from Portland/Salem on SID 30
always caused a drop when the user encountered SID 328 for Eugene/Albany.


This was not only a SID boundry, it was also a NID boundry as well. SID 30
uses the country-wide default NID of 65535, and 328 used '0' for public
system.


Anyway, it appears that recent PRL's have changed the NID to 65535 or the
wildcard NID, which may be why things are working better. I haven't
verified firsthand as you have to be in a call between milepost 240 and 250
to witness this behavior.


Sounds like, thanks to your report, handoffs have finally been corrected.


-Dan


PS: I called Verizon and sent them email more times than I can count with
very detailed and specific problem reports for this area. I didn't honestly
think they'd ever address this issue.


--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1108433900.101625@sj-nntpcache-5...
> Dan Albrich wrote:
>>> This is very unusual-- to have any NID that is 65535.
>>
>> --> should have read is *not* 65535.
>>
>> By the way, I cannot remember now what the NID changes
>> to, I just know that it does (or used to change to
>> something else).
>>
>> I had kinda given up on fighting this particular problem
>> given I reported in repeatedly over time spanning years,
>> and never saw a resolution.
>
>
> ummm, I always just guessed that 65535 was a special value
> that the code that reads the PRL treats differently? Kind of
> like a wild card or ignore value. 65535 just happens to be
> the largest unsigned value you can put in 16 bits (all 1s).
>
> -Quick
>
>
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:31:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Dan,

It does transition from SID 30 NID 0 to SID 328 NID 1 not just
durring calls but sometimes multiple times within a few minutes,
thus my lost call data. While at my residence (MP 243 just
down the exit) It frequently picks up analog on 30,
then at some point maybe it will see 328 digital and switch
to 328. The switching systems somehow still register me on 30 and
then 30 keeps my txt messages until SOMETHING happens,
who knows what.. and sometimes I get multiple txts all at
once sometimes 4 hours late.

I got a voicemail from them yesterday saying "they had resolved my
issue"
and then saying "they knew of this problem and were working for
a resolution". Now if that isn't circular double talk I don't know
what is.

Dan do you have trouble ticket #'s I can reference saying "here
is a customer that reported this problem to you X time, and X time,
and X time under case # W X Y and Z?

-B
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:59:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1108542684.481101.116970@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dan,
>
> It does transition from SID 30 NID 0 to SID 328 NID 1 not just
> durring calls but sometimes multiple times within a few minutes,
> thus my lost call data. While at my residence (MP 243 just
> down the exit) It frequently picks up analog on 30,
> then at some point maybe it will see 328 digital and switch
> to 328. The switching systems somehow still register me on 30 and
> then 30 keeps my txt messages until SOMETHING happens,
> who knows what.. and sometimes I get multiple txts all at
> once sometimes 4 hours late.
>
> I got a voicemail from them yesterday saying "they had resolved my
> issue"
> and then saying "they knew of this problem and were working for
> a resolution". Now if that isn't circular double talk I don't know
> what is.
>
> Dan do you have trouble ticket #'s I can reference saying "here
> is a customer that reported this problem to you X time, and X time,
> and X time under case # W X Y and Z?
>
> -B
>

No trouble ticket numbers, nor was I offered any. They would not even take
my complaint save to say that it was something they'd look into in the long
term which is why I also tried emailing them, but that resulted in a canned
text email, which had no relevance to the actual issue.

Here's my current theory. They recently updated the PRL (in the past few
generations anyway) to change the NID to 65535 both for SID 30 and 328. OK,
fine 65535 is the wildcard NID used virtually eveywhere.

My phone (and yours) when in that area shows a different NID. Perhaps their
system is still misconfigured to broadcast the wrong NID. Dunno, just a
thought.

Something you said, which another poster also said which rang a bell with
me. I do hear an audible beep when changing between SIDs/NIDs in that area
if I am lucky enough to hold the call. Don't know what relevance that has,
but it's familiar.

Like I say, normally I wouldn't recommend ditching Verizon because they are
generally a good carrier, but I have little belief that they will address
the problems you are seeing. I have complained repeatedly spanning several
years, and had no luck whatsoever.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:09:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Dan Albrich wrote:
> "WildIrish" <wildirishtiming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1108542684.481101.116970@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Dan,
>>
>> It does transition from SID 30 NID 0 to SID 328 NID 1 not just
>> durring calls but sometimes multiple times within a few minutes,
>> thus my lost call data. While at my residence (MP 243 just
>> down the exit) It frequently picks up analog on 30,
>> then at some point maybe it will see 328 digital and switch
>> to 328. The switching systems somehow still register me on 30 and
>> then 30 keeps my txt messages until SOMETHING happens,
>> who knows what.. and sometimes I get multiple txts all at
>> once sometimes 4 hours late.
>>

Have you tried (and can your phone be) set to never roam or digital only? (a
tri mode phone in never roam, will try and find a digital signal and lock on
before it even tries analog that is in the PRL)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:37:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

If someone can tell me how to set my t720 to digital only, but it's
something i looked into and can't find any info on. You CAN set
it to analog only but that's worthless.

Dan, back to the NID issue, it shows me SID 0 all the time, BUT if I go
into the NAM settings, that's the only place I see the 65535.

And back to the tone issue, I don't hear that when switching SIDs,
I hear that even when locked on to 328 using home only. Home only
wasn't working cause I WAS set with my home as 30 so I reprogrammed
my t720 to think 328 was home, now when I set HOME ONLY it works
pretty good except when I go towards Salem and forget to turn it back.

Can you email me privately a phone # where those complaints you made
are logged
that I could say "look, here's another user who made these and similar
complaints for ages and you've done nothing"? Might help strengthen my
case.

-B
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:23:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Have you tried (and can your phone be) set to never roam or digital only?
> (a tri mode phone in never roam, will try and find a digital signal and
> lock on before it even tries analog that is in the PRL)

My Kyocera 6035 would always drop to analog in that section (in that 10 mile
or so stretch). If I force digital-only, my phone would roam on Sprint in
that section, then return to Verizon.

My first carrier was voicestream, and despite their lack of rural covearge,
they could hold a single phone call all the way from Eugene to Portland
without interruption.

While Verizon has contiguous coverage over the same stretch, this didn't
used to be possible. Calls would always drop in the aforementioned area.
Anyway, I did, as far as I know, hold a call through that section of I5 with
a recent PRL. Despite an odd beep sound during the call, all was normal.
My Kyocera 7135 never dropped to analog- it stayed 1X, but it still dropped
calls in that section.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--
>
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:06:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Ahh yes the magic "Beep-Beep..". That thing drives me nuts. It
happens around
MP 242-244 and it's horribly irritating to hold conversations I get it
all the time.
It's two tones, matching, around 5000hz I'd say just rough estmating,
each about
one second appart with a minor delay between.

I wish someone had an insider phone # or an engineers phone # or knew
someone
at verizon that gave a S**T that they could give me the number to.
Anyone? Anyone?

~B
!