PS3 connection to a Laptop display.

ericeagle92

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I've wanted to hook up my PS3 to my laptop and I've been doing a lot of research and seems obvious that I can't just do it with an HDMI cable because the laptops HDMI is only output and won't receive any signal. All the forums I saw though are like 4 years old. I got my laptop summer of 2011 and I wouldn't be surprised if I still couldnt do that but I was wondering if there were any cheap alternatives to get around that problem? Besides getting a tv.

I have an HP Dv5t.

Solution
Some laptops have an HDMI in, but they are rare. HDMI Out is the usual so even if you get a 2012 laptop, it wont have HDMI IN unless you pick one ($$$$) that does.

Best you can do is get a USB TV TUNER card and hook your PS3 to it. You will then be able to use your laptop monitor as screen. Not best quality, but that will work.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Some laptops have an HDMI in, but they are rare. HDMI Out is the usual so even if you get a 2012 laptop, it wont have HDMI IN unless you pick one ($$$$) that does.

Best you can do is get a USB TV TUNER card and hook your PS3 to it. You will then be able to use your laptop monitor as screen. Not best quality, but that will work.

Solution