Max frame rate.

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I am currently building a new system with the following planned hardware.

Intel Pentium G620
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 LGA 1155 H61 mATX Motherboard
Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
500W power supply

With this set-up will I be able to play World of Warcraft Cataclysm using directX 11 on ultra? It will be powering a 22inch HD monitor.
Based on various reviews and publications I have seen the video card can do it.... I'm not sure about the CPU if the CPU can't what am I looking at having to upgrade to... its a socket 1155 board so the sky is the limit with sandy-bridge and they may end up with bios updates for ivy....

Solution
wouldnt make much difference a quad would handle it slightly better but not much. as there isnt a cpu fast enough, so no matter what you use your always gonna have bumps and lags.
like i say its more to do with the game tha the hardware its running on. so personally i would get the best cpu i can afford. put a reasonable oc onto it (not a blistering 1) and run the game as best you can... you gotta remember people who play wow and the likes tend to have very slow connections with very high pings and this is the main reason for ingame lag. 1 high ping can lag every 1 on that server and multiple high pings will just make it worse. so it may not even be your machine thats causing the issue. its just the game itself...

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
you will be able to play it at ultra with that graphics card but i think your cpu will let you down in busy area's, WOW to my understanding although i havent played it in a few years is more cpu based than gpu, and get GW2 ;)

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I know the graphics card is capable.... but I don't know how much processor is needed. I know that bench marking other sandy bridge processors the I5 did better than the I-7 clock for clock because hyper threading wasn't well utilized. I'm building this for someone else and am not going to use it myself, and want to go as bottom end as I can on the cpu.

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hey Brett just for fun lets compare how a graphics card works for capability in 6 month old twitch shooter vs, a year and a half old expansion pack for a 8 year old RPG.... I know lets see what else battlefield has in common with world of warcraft?

Anyways have a relevant Christmas, Max

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
So on the set-up above I am trying to figure out the lowest possible machine price wise that I can use to ultra set wow currently and be halfway respectable frame rate wise..... I know wow isn't really that huge of a draw on gpu in that a mid level card currently can max it out but what is the lightest weight and least expensive cpu that I can reasonably hope to do that with.... I'm not trying to maintain a constant 60 through out a raid or in a really high population area but i don't want want to drop below 40-35ish....

wouldnt make much difference a quad would handle it slightly better but not much. as there isnt a cpu fast enough, so no matter what you use your always gonna have bumps and lags.
like i say its more to do with the game tha the hardware its running on. so personally i would get the best cpu i can afford. put a reasonable oc onto it (not a blistering 1) and run the game as best you can... you gotta remember people who play wow and the likes tend to have very slow connections with very high pings and this is the main reason for ingame lag. 1 high ping can lag every 1 on that server and multiple high pings will just make it worse. so it may not even be your machine thats causing the issue. its just the game itself...

Solution

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Well in this case I'm building the PC for a friend who actually plays WoW, I really haven't in years and don't plan on starting again.....

I will get paid back for it eventually but the whole eventually thing here is likely a bit at a time over the course of 2 to 3 years.... In the mean time he is "borrowing" my main PC and its bugging the hell out of me. So I am trying to get him something that will provide an experience decently close to Phenom II 970 BE in that without spending over $400. I can get windows basically for free through school but everything else I have to pay for.... I can get a decent 22 inch monitor for about $50 but the rest I'm going retail and he needs pretty much a complete system....
hence that stuff shown up top since it gets me into the computer with case right around $400 I just wanted to make sure that the dual core listed above isn't going to flat out kill things.

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Ok so now in the middle of may for my paycheck I get to build myself a pc for about 1/3rd the price of my main pc that is about 2/3rds the power... grr what 30 months does to pc lifespans...

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
6870 isn't good enough for WoW? Trolls.

My old Nvidia 8600GT maxed out WoW at 1280X1024.

@OP I'd say your build is overkill. You could easily skimp out on the GPU. 6670 is 2-3X cheaper than that 6870, so you could save some bucks whilst giving your pal some gaming lee-way.