A7V133 wont default back to BIOS

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I have a ASUS A7V133 900 T-Bird good fast stable system.The problem is when I start tweeking out the FSB and multiplier and I go too far it won't default back to default settings in BIOS without opening the case removing CMOS battery and shorting out the CMOS clear pins. I have tried on every attempt to use reset switch several times and cold boot several times no good.I have flashed the avu1004 BIOS and not sure what comes next????Sure could use some help,as this takes the fun out of overclocking when you have to reconfigure the BIOS every time it dumps.Thanks in advance

slippast

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
I have that board and saw the same problem. Here's what I did, it was much less drastic than what you tried.

There were two ways that I was able to get the BIOS to boot after seeing this.

1) Set all the frequency jumpers for the Multiplier to ON (the right set of blue jumpers next to the RAM slots). This will force the CPU default. There's another jumper towards the bottom of the board. It's the JEN jumper (short for Jumperfree Enabled it's in the lower right section of the Board right above the internal USB plugs).

By default this is set to ON. Jumpers look like this (x=on o=off):

xxo

Change to:

oxx

Then reboot. This should boot at the default clock of your CPU. If you've messed with the L6 connections then check your manual on how to set the Multiplier jumpers to force your CPU speed.

After your get the nice little POST beep you can either jump to your BIOS or turn the machine off because the BIOS defaults will be restored.

2)If that doesn't work then pull your CPU and erase the pencil from your L1 bridges (assuming you didn't use a conductive pen).

Email me if you have any questions. There are some other weird things that I've worked through on this board. If I can save someone the ulsers I've got then at least someone will be better off! slippast@hotmail.com

Good luck!

--Mark

If you don't have the manual you can get it here (only use the Asus USA ftp mirror...the others won't work):

http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/socka/kt133a/a7v133/a7v133-102.pdf

G

I've also got an A7V133 with the same problem. What I do is, shut down and reset the jumper marked "JEN" to the jumper mode (pins 1&2),as per page no. 19 in the manual. Reboot, it should now boot to the jumper settings, once it boots, shut down, reset the jumper (JEN) to the jumper-free mode (pins 2&3). Reboot, go into the BIOS and start all over again.
In short the only thing that you have to do is change one jumper setting to get it to reboot.

1.11G DURON air cooled!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yep - this is the one. Also it only tends to lock out when I get really ambitious (like forgetting to reduce fsb going for a high multiplier.

I have mine set to boot 100FSB and 11.5 multiplier (1333 chip) by dip switch. As long as it is 100FSB it will usually come up any speed.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Thanks that is alot more easy than what I was doing.I got a couple of answers from ASUS tech. support but they were some weird replies,not much help from them. These were the replies I recieved from them.

"It need to short the CMOS clear pins to load the default setting."

"Please replace the CPU and memory to try. If it can't boot in pure system, please contact with your local reseller for help."

Not for sure if I explained it good enough to them but you guys bailed me out Thanks Again