CPU Fan Blow or Suck

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Since most people complained that my other post was very big, here goes a small one :)

I've come across a post or two from people that discuss the Blow Factor or the Suck Factor of the processor HSF.
The general idea everyone has is:
-IF and only IF you have a good case cooling system (a good airflow) the fan should suck air from the heatsink.
-ELSE the fan should blow air.

Of course an HSF is much more eficient if it blows air to the heatsink because that way it makes the heatsink release the hot air more quickly, but if the air around it has a good airflow that may infact hinder the process since it creates more turbulence than if the fan would sucks the hot air slowly emanated from the heatsink and blows it out to the airflow.

Has anybody tried this before, and if not, is anybody willing? To me it may sound a bit absurd but it's not that bad of an idea.

Ok, i think it made it short this time :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bombastik on 03/29/01 10:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a fan that 'sucks' air off the heatsink then you really need a shroud around the heatsing to direct the air. I believe Alpha heatsinks use this.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, like at hte other post, I use the slot fan to suck the heatsink and blow towards the case rear fan. Works quite well. At least quieter.

------------------
This site is cool.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yoda is right-if you suck, you need a shroud. Both for your privacy-uh-never mind. Even many dumb mechanics know that you can't pull air in a staight line-many modified cars overheat because of the lack of a fan shroud. I saw a guy spend $300 on his car to get a custom radiator because he did not like shrouds, only to end up puting on a custom chrome shroud when it didn't work. Fans pull air from the sides, not from directly behind them.

Suicide is painless...........