XP fax with a different fax # than home phone #

May 27, 2004 8:01:04 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ok...lets start from the top. I work mostly with my computer ( although I'm no master by any means )...as a real estate appraiser. Due to the fact that DSL wasn't yet available in my area...I had a dial-up service. Now I have DSL. Anyway...before...I had a separate line ran for a fax machine ( couldn't tie up my dial-up ). Now I'm told that if I combined all my lines into one ( fax, home phone ) with the DSL service...I couldn't recieve faxes if I was on-line. My fax has a different # of course...than my home phone but I could keep the fax # and put it in with a signal ring to distinquish whether or not it was a fax or a phone call. I don't like not being able to recieve faxes while I'm on-line though. My question is...since XP is equipped with a fax machine...can I keep the same # for my fax line and use XP's fax...and get rid of my current fax line...and recieve faxes when I'm on-line? It's very important that I keep the same fax # since I
>have business cards all over with it on there.
>Again...thanks to anyone who can help me with this,
>Jim

More about : fax fax home phone

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 10:17:46 PM

Not a question for us. It's a question for your DSL provider.
In general, fax won't work with DSL because it requires an analog phone
line.
With some DSL connections you can obtain a DSL line filter suitable for
connecting a standard analog voice line to the DSL line and can then connect
an analog fax modem to that line.

So ask your provider.
--
Russ Valentine