XP fax with a different fax # than home phone #

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ok...lets start from the top. I work mostly with my computer ( although I'm no master by any means )...as a real estate appraiser. Due to the fact that DSL wasn't yet available in my area...I had a dial-up service. Now I have DSL. Anyway...before...I had a separate line ran for a fax machine ( couldn't tie up my dial-up ). Now I'm told that if I combined all my lines into one ( fax, home phone ) with the DSL service...I couldn't recieve faxes if I was on-line. My fax has a different # of course...than my home phone but I could keep the fax # and put it in with a signal ring to distinquish whether or not it was a fax or a phone call. I don't like not being able to recieve faxes while I'm on-line though. My question is...since XP is equipped with a fax machine...can I keep the same # for my fax line and use XP's fax...and get rid of my current fax line...and recieve faxes when I'm on-line? It's very important that I keep the same fax # since I
>have business cards all over with it on there.
>Again...thanks to anyone who can help me with this,
>Jim
1 answer Last reply
More about home phone

    Not a question for us. It's a question for your DSL provider.
    In general, fax won't work with DSL because it requires an analog phone
    line.
    With some DSL connections you can obtain a DSL line filter suitable for
    connecting a standard analog voice line to the DSL line and can then connect
    an analog fax modem to that line.

    So ask your provider.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    "jimmyd1889" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ok...lets start from the top. I
    work mostly with my computer ( although I'm no master by any means )...as a
    real estate appraiser. Due to the fact that DSL wasn't yet available in my
    area...I had a dial-up service. Now I have DSL. Anyway...before...I had a
    separate line ran for a fax machine ( couldn't tie up my dial-up ). Now I'm
    told that if I combined all my lines into one ( fax, home phone ) with the
    DSL service...I couldn't recieve faxes if I was on-line. My fax has a
    different # of course...than my home phone but I could keep the fax # and
    put it in with a signal ring to distinquish whether or not it was a fax or a
    phone call. I don't like not being able to recieve faxes while I'm on-line
    though. My question is...since XP is equipped with a fax machine...can I
    keep the same # for my fax line and use XP's fax...and get rid of my current
    fax line...and recieve faxes when I'm on-line? It's very important that I
    keep the same fax # since I
    > >have business cards all over with it on there.
    > >Again...thanks to anyone who can help me with this,
    > >Jim

Phones Fax Dial Up Connection Windows XP