Phone/Plan promos that requires "new 2-year contract"

Last response: in Network Providers
February 9, 2005 4:06:03 PM

I have a question to clarify my confusion about the
eligibility to take advantage of those new phone/plan
promos advertised which require "new 2-year contracts".

I have a family plan with a total of 3 phones. When
we first got the plan at a Radio Shack, apparently they
made a mistake in setting up the accounts and we were
getting billed for minutes that should be part of the
400 minutes included in the plan. We realized this
3 months into the 2-year contract and had it corrected
by a Verizon service rep over the phone. According
to the papers that got mailed to us at that time, it looks
like they treated this as a plan change and thus pushed
the 2-year contract expiration date back by about 3 months.

Now back to the question. If you want to take up all
those offers on the newspaper with new camera phones
and what not that require "new 2-year contracts", do
we have to wait until the new expiration date of our
contract (that is 2 years and 3 months since the original
opening of the contract and obtaining of the phones on
promotion at the time), or we can do so at the 2-year
point from the original opening of the account?

Thanks for anyone who is willing to enlighten me
about this.

H. Nakanishi
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:06:04 PM

H. Nakanishi wrote:
> I have a question to clarify my confusion about the
> eligibility to take advantage of those new phone/plan
> promos advertised which require "new 2-year contracts".
>
> I have a family plan with a total of 3 phones. When
> we first got the plan at a Radio Shack, apparently they
> made a mistake in setting up the accounts and we were
> getting billed for minutes that should be part of the
> 400 minutes included in the plan. We realized this
> 3 months into the 2-year contract and had it corrected
> by a Verizon service rep over the phone. According
> to the papers that got mailed to us at that time, it looks
> like they treated this as a plan change and thus pushed
> the 2-year contract expiration date back by about 3
> months.
>
> Now back to the question. If you want to take up all
> those offers on the newspaper with new camera phones
> and what not that require "new 2-year contracts", do
> we have to wait until the new expiration date of our
> contract (that is 2 years and 3 months since the original
> opening of the contract and obtaining of the phones on
> promotion at the time), or we can do so at the 2-year
> point from the original opening of the account?
>
> Thanks for anyone who is willing to enlighten me
> about this.

Sounds like RS put you on the wrong plans so when
VZW switched you they started new plans. I would take
that up with RS to see what they can do for you. You
should talk with VZW customer service to be clear on
exactly how RS set you up initially. Tell them what you
expected and ask them what RS actually did. I doubt it,
but they might even tell you what you could reasonably
expect RS to do for you.

On the promos this is my guess:

The promos that you are talking about involve equipment
upgrades. Since you already got a discount (subsidy) on
the equipment you have now you will probably have to
fulfill the comittment before getting another equipment
subsidy/promo. For a 2 year plan that means within
2(?) months of your contract end date (assuming they
are still running this promo). Again VZW customer service
should be able to clearly spell out your options.

The idea is that they give you a discount/subsidy on
equipment, activation fee, etc. for a plan committment.
They expect to recoup a portion of that subsidy over the
life of the contract (or via the $175 ETF if you terminate
early).

-Quick
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:06:04 PM

H. Nakanishi wrote:
> I have a question to clarify my confusion about the
> eligibility to take advantage of those new phone/plan
> promos advertised which require "new 2-year contracts".
>
> I have a family plan with a total of 3 phones. When
> we first got the plan at a Radio Shack, apparently they
> made a mistake in setting up the accounts and we were
> getting billed for minutes that should be part of the
> 400 minutes included in the plan. We realized this
> 3 months into the 2-year contract and had it corrected
> by a Verizon service rep over the phone. According
> to the papers that got mailed to us at that time, it looks
> like they treated this as a plan change and thus pushed
> the 2-year contract expiration date back by about 3
> months.
>
> Now back to the question. If you want to take up all
> those offers on the newspaper with new camera phones
> and what not that require "new 2-year contracts", do
> we have to wait until the new expiration date of our
> contract (that is 2 years and 3 months since the original
> opening of the contract and obtaining of the phones on
> promotion at the time), or we can do so at the 2-year
> point from the original opening of the account?
>
> Thanks for anyone who is willing to enlighten me
> about this.

Oops, sorry, didn't answer your question in my last
reply. Equipment upgrades are pretty much independent
of plans. So you should be eligible for equipment upgrade
based on your original date (when you got your present
equipment). Again... call CS.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 8:44:11 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:06:03 -0500, "H. Nakanishi"
<hisao@physics.purdue.edu> wrote:

>I have a question to clarify my confusion about the
>eligibility to take advantage of those new phone/plan
>promos advertised which require "new 2-year contracts".
>
>I have a family plan with a total of 3 phones. When
>we first got the plan at a Radio Shack, apparently they
>made a mistake in setting up the accounts and we were
>getting billed for minutes that should be part of the
>400 minutes included in the plan. We realized this
>3 months into the 2-year contract and had it corrected
>by a Verizon service rep over the phone. According
>to the papers that got mailed to us at that time, it looks
>like they treated this as a plan change and thus pushed
>the 2-year contract expiration date back by about 3 months.
>
>Now back to the question. If you want to take up all
>those offers on the newspaper with new camera phones
>and what not that require "new 2-year contracts", do
>we have to wait until the new expiration date of our
>contract (that is 2 years and 3 months since the original
>opening of the contract and obtaining of the phones on
>promotion at the time), or we can do so at the 2-year
>point from the original opening of the account?
>
>Thanks for anyone who is willing to enlighten me
>about this.
>
>H. Nakanishi

You are eligible for equipment upgrades from the time you first got
the phone not from the start date of the contract.

In addition, you are eligible for equipment upgrades 22 months into a
2yr contract and 10 months into a 1yr contract
!