im in need of help!

G

Hello all

I have a problem with my rig that put the breaks on my gaming an I was hoping someone here can help me out.
My system

P3 800 eb (133x6)
Ram 256 pc 133

Abit vt6x4 mobo via apollo chipset 4x agp enabled memory set to normal mode
4in1 via drivers (latest of the viatech.com) and latest bios from abit

Asus v7700 Ge Force 2 GTS 32 meg w/detonator 11.01 drivers & coolbits.reg
OC @ 205core 345memory

Sblive x gamer latest drivers from MS

Win 98 se updated to all latest from MS custom swap file on separate partition restricted to 300 megs

Cacheman optimized file system

Dx8
Performance is great… …Mad onion benchmarks are satisfactory (6200score avg for 3dmark2000 and 2600score avg for 3dmark2001) but heres where everything stops.

Most apps run fair with no hesitation but gaming is another story

I play CFS2 and Rogue Spear mainly and these are the simptoms that develop.

CFS2i set game single player vs 8 enemies.
about 3-5 minutes in quick combat the FPS slows down to 1-2 frames per sec and eventually locks up to where I have to hit reset.

RS I set the game to go single player vs 50 enemies in a open map where I set myself invincible and go and sit in the middle at the map thus allowing all 50 enemies to open fire. Within 3-5 minutes the same story…FPS drops to a crawl but with this game it seems that it doesn’t lock up ….just bogs down and picture quality drops a little.

I wresled with this problem for about a week now. I installed a thermistor touching the slotted P3 800 so I can monitor the temp assuming that maybe it gets a little hot…. Prior to that I installed new fans on the CPU heatsink. My temp readings are never over 95 degrees F (idles at 89F) .

The case enviroment is @ 75 degrees F and the temperature on the Video Card GPU never exceeds 91 degrees F due in part to the big heatsink and fan I installed about a month ago.

Tried Fixes

Reinstalled games
Reinstalled windows
Format drive
Went back to detonator 10.80 drivers
Went back to detonator 6.50 drivers
Reset clock settings for video card to default
Installed bigger heatsink&fan on videocard achieving very stable low temps.
Reinstalled heatsink and replaced fans on the PIII 800 CPU. Thermal compound was used on both CPU and Vid Card heatsinks for better thermal tranfer.

As u can probably tell im getting quite frustrated at this time.
I have ordered a new slot one heat sink with high performance fans http://www.coolerguys.com/CPUCOOL/P3&secc2.htm and a temperature monitoring device http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/cooler/scooler.htm that works independently from the system and its much more acurate and convenient to use that the tools I now have available.

Until the ordered parts arrive I am fresh out of ideeas.
The system has never given me any problems like this in the past. The problem developed about a week ago and im getting pretty pissed cause I miss gaming. Any fresh ideeas would be highly appreciated…

Till later… TTF_DD

WWW.FRONTLINEDD.COM

G

Honestly, it really doesn't sound like heat is your problem... Did you try letting Windows manage your swap file? If you had winme I'd say turn off system restore, but that's a moot point. Try turning off your temp and fan monitor (pc probe) and see if that helps. Hell, try turning off everything but explorer and systray.

As a last resort, do you have another ram stick you can substitute for the one you have now for testing? It could be bad too...

Sorry not much help, strange problem.

G

it turned out to be some beta 4in1 drivers i renamed as good by mistake and i was using them...its all working loose now after going to an older version...thanks..

TTF

WWW.FRONTLINEDD.COM