Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I Test Windows 7 in Microsoft Virtual PC..?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 1, 2009 4:40:09 PM

Hi,

I love my PC and i want test Windows7 in it without any problems

So Can I Test Windows 7 in Microsoft Virtual PC..?
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2009 12:13:11 PM

yes, i think you'll need to say its a vista install.
February 3, 2009 6:08:12 AM

Yes, of course... VirtualBox and VMware are other options too.
Related resources
February 3, 2009 1:33:24 PM

I don't believe you will be able to use some of the enhanced features of Windows 7 since virtual anything uses a generic video driver.
February 4, 2009 4:04:00 PM

yep, i installed it on virtual box, and ran great. but ya everything is a generic driver...
February 5, 2009 12:28:23 AM

Ya man... install it as an other operating system. But make sure you downlaod the x86 version. I have the x64 disc and it didn't work.
February 5, 2009 12:57:01 AM

renegeek said:
yep, i installed it on virtual box, and ran great. but ya everything is a generic driver...

That's because your real hardware "doesn't exist". ;) 
February 10, 2009 5:15:51 PM

if i use virtual box and install windows 7 through that... is there any possibilty of it messing up my system (im using windows vista 64 ultimate edition)?

i really wanna try windows 7 but dont want to partion drive or create dual boot or buy new hdd.. this seems lke the only other way... but am i at any risk of messing up anything on the current vista 64?
February 10, 2009 5:58:22 PM

No, you shouldn't mess anything up. Your Windows 7 installation will install into an expanding file called a virtual hard drive that you create during the process. Virtual PC does a pretty good job keeping the guest and host operating systems seperate from each other....although you can have interaction between the two if you wish.
February 10, 2009 6:03:40 PM

just read a post from the virtual box forum that some guy installed windows 7 on it and he had vista 64 as the host now he boots up and gets MBR error .. messed up his system! yikes.. too scared to try it!
February 10, 2009 9:27:58 PM

PEBKAC. Virtual Machines don't have anything to do with the MBR, so he did something else to screw it up.
February 10, 2009 9:53:32 PM

XGMan said:
Hi,

I love my PC and i want test Windows7 in it without any problems

So Can I Test Windows 7 in Microsoft Virtual PC..?

I installed in VMware 6.5 as a Vista install and it worked... I couldn't start any 3d application (it just freezes) although VMware 6.5 supports directx 9.1.
The virtual machine freezes even when I try to find the experience index score.

Everything else works fine.
February 10, 2009 10:37:43 PM

I installed W7 in VMW 6.5 w/out any issues. ...of course I can't run Aero but can't really say Aero's an important feature either. Otherwise I had not issues and was a tad surprised at how polished Win7 is at this point.

Gotta love VMWare, its just one of those apps that I think every techy should have.
February 11, 2009 11:31:10 AM

got the courage last night and installed windows 7 to virtual box.. played with it for 15 min (worked great btw) and then uninstalled. dont see much if any difference from Vista 64 at this point, but its probably cause i dont get the bells and whistles due to the fact that its running on VB? was hoping for a bit more eye candy. the "shake" thing is cool where you can minimize/maximize all windows.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2009 11:33:45 AM

You can 'snap' windows to the half and top screens, as well.
February 11, 2009 12:11:59 PM

If want all the bells and whistles, you will have to actually install it as you would any normal OS. Whether through a dual boot, or separate drive/partition. Running it in a virtual machine gives you basic functionality.
February 11, 2009 12:14:14 PM

ya but does it look much different then vista? looks identical on the virtual box.
February 11, 2009 12:38:46 PM

If I had to give a simple yes or no answer, then yes. It is very similar to Vista.
February 11, 2009 9:21:48 PM

The taskbar is the only significant eye candy difference.
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2009 3:02:21 AM

Yes you can run Windows 7 in Microsoft’s virtual PC 2007. Chose Windows server 2008 to install and don’t forget that you will need to give the virtual PC at least a gig of ram. Aero wont work in virtual PC but apart from that it works just fine.
February 12, 2009 8:57:20 AM

Though it will in Virtual PC 2007 (and VPC is free, yea) if you want a really usable experience invest in VMWare for virtualizing. There's a notable difference in performance in VMWare's favor, you can even assign an OS two cores.

...always gotta get my vote in for VMWare.
February 12, 2009 7:37:35 PM

Had it running in the vmware and virtualbox and virtual pc. ( I support all 3 ) so just wanted to monkey with it. 10.x gb's to install, just about the same as vista 64.
Bootup was a tad faster with 7, vmware booted it up faster than the other 2, opening windows is faster, file copy is faster, but only by small amounts.
February 14, 2009 7:42:49 AM

Honestly I suggest an install of windows 7 to evaluate it. Most people have plenty of hard drive space lying around to create a separate partition and set up a dual boot. Easy, yes, and if you end up not liking it, just fold the extra partition back into the original. :) 

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dual+boot+windows+...

!