Sign in with
Your question

Masters pick?

Last response: in Sports & Wellness
April 4, 2011 11:25:55 PM

I know it's not a team sport but this seems like the right place to post it. I'll go with Phil Mickleson coming off a win at the Shell Open last week and I would like to see Phil win a few more Golf Majors. The Masters is one of the prettiest golf courses in the world even if you don't like golf. Your pick? Thanks,
Dave

More about : masters pick

April 5, 2011 4:09:25 AM

Ah yes, the Masters. I'm a huge fan of it myself, as it is the unofficial start of spring. I'd love to play Augusta one day (when I win the lotto) to simply see the beauty of it all. Not to mention, I love the theme song CBS uses for it. It's on Youtube and it is by Dave Loggins.

Anyways, I agree with you Dave- go Phil. He has the hot hand right now. In the past I know that this would have been a more general discussion of whether it would be Tiger Woods or the field, but as we all know, Tiger hasn't been himself the last year or so. I think he'll do alright, but he will not win (Tiger).
April 5, 2011 7:22:24 PM

I am getting ready to drive out to lunch from the office today. I will drive right past Tiger Woods' high school which I do so often. A good friend olf Tiger's mother was a patient in our office years ago. She traveled with mom to some of Tiger's events. Then get this, she had plastic surgery and looked like a Hong Kong bar room hooker. Much like what happened to Kenny Rogers. This ends my Masters story and I won't be watching due to an acute lack of interest.
Related resources
April 6, 2011 1:02:51 AM

LOL. The Kenny Rogers effect wouldn't be particularly flattering on a woman, much less a guy.
April 6, 2011 1:08:50 AM

badge said:
I am getting ready to drive out to lunch from the office today. I will drive right past Tiger Woods' high school which I do so often. A good friend olf Tiger's mother was a patient in our office years ago. She traveled with mom to some of Tiger's events. Then get this, she had plastic surgery and looked like a Hong Kong bar room hooker. Much like what happened to Kenny Rogers. This ends my Masters story and I won't be watching due to an acute lack of interest.

Thanks for the laugh badge - gotta love the plastic surgery humor. :D 
Dave
Still, I will be watching the entire broadcast because I love golf and the majors in particular.
April 6, 2011 1:17:46 AM

Now I have become curious about this thing you guys call golf.
April 7, 2011 2:47:15 PM

See badge, I turned you onto college basketball and now Dave will turn you into a golf man. Pretty soon you'll be out on the links cussing up a storm and throwing clubs like the rest of us.

While I was in school the university had a pro-am golf course that I played a few times for the heck of it. At the time I took the game seriously, so I ended up wrapping a pitching wedge around a tree and whipping a sand wedge into a lake. Needless to say, I don't take it seriously anymore. ;) 

Right now I'm watching the view from "Amen corner" on one of my three monitors (well, two monitors technically, as I also have my flat screen rigged to the PC- gotta love the ol' 5830) and am waiting for the feature pairing to start. Once the main broadcast starts on ESPN, I'll have double vision. For awhile I had 3 games on at once during the NCAA tournament, which almost blew my mind up.
April 7, 2011 3:45:15 PM

Growing up there was a golf course near my high school. We have a golf course in the neighborhood currently. I have friends both in the past and current who play. I have been invited to play, but never have. I have watched pro golf in the past and enjoyed it. Way, way before Tiger Woods was born. Back in the 70's. Wood's mother lives in Irvine which is close to here. Our patient I mentioned talked about her often and was apparently a fairly close friend with her. She was a nurse and a very sweet young woman until she got the Kenny Rogers treatment. Tiger wouldn't dare. Would He? ;) 

I wanted to give Dave an idea on my mindset about golf. I'll call it my 'source' regarding the matter.

The Masters gets underway at Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia today. There could be a government shutdown on Friday but it won't affect the tournament. Georgians have been waiting for one hundred and fifty years for the federal government to quit and get out.

April 8, 2011 12:40:57 AM

Boy, isn't that the truth. It'll be a day of celebration everywhere in Georgia. If there was a way we could jackhammer the state up and throw it into the ocean, we should. I'd have to give CNN fair warning though. Perhaps they could move to Chicago. We can do the same with Florida as well.

If you can get in with Tigers' mom, you should be able to get an invite to a tourney in the area.

It was a nice day at the Masters today- weather wise that is, which means that scores were low. Rory McIlroy and Alvaro Quiros are leading the tourney at 7 under, while Woods is 1 under and Mickelson is 2 under. Whoever this Quiros is, he can hit the ball a country mile- I think he was averaging like 350 yards per drive.
April 8, 2011 3:20:21 AM

Quote:
At the time I took the game seriously, so I ended up wrapping a pitching wedge around a tree and whipping a sand wedge into a lake. Needless to say, I don't take it seriously anymore.

:lol:  I had to read that a second time and let it sink in. Man. May I ask did you ever play organized sports in high school and college? I was pretty competitive and have done some behaviorial modification no no's in the heat of the battle before. Like tell the coach off for giving me the steal sign, getting thrown out at second and blaming him saying, "if you have anybody better to pitch this game put them in!" Early trip to the showers. Also been in a few bar room brawls without my pitching and sand wedges. :lol: 

I'm trying to picture you playing golf and busting up the clubs. :o  I didn't play a lot of neighborhood sandlot football growing up. The rule went at the end of the game there was a mandatory knock down drag out all out free for all riot. Fight! Game over time to pound your opponent to death to determine the winner. [:badge]

April 8, 2011 6:47:09 AM

No, never been a big sports playing individual, as I am not the most athletic person on the planet. For example, I have the vertical leap of a 2 year old child. I'm about 5'6" and weight 155lbs, so it goes without saying that basketball and football have never been on the list of approved sports. I did play little league in my young days, as well as flag football though. I also ran a bit of track in high school (distance). But otherwise than that, nada. I'm more of a fan than anything.

I took up golf in grade school and took it seriously for quite sometime, but after the above mentioned events and realizing I suck, I cooled it. I do get sucked into the competitive spirit of things and can go overboard, so I try and keep my distance from organized sports for that reason and the above-mentioned reasons. It's not worth it.

:lol: 

April 8, 2011 7:42:11 AM

Let me describe myself if you can stand it. I'm 6'3 280lbs. In high school at 17 I was 6'3" and 218 lbs and considered the best pitching prosperct in the state. My coach was a triple A pitcher for the Twins and taught me a huge amount about what a pro pitcher does to get in shape and pitch like a man. At 17 I ran the mile in 4:48. Four minutes and 48 seconds. The 4 minute barrier at a mile had been broken a few of years earlier by Dr. Jim Ryun of Kansas. Had I not lost interest my senior year I would have played minor league baseball. As far as other sports I had no real interest. I made some poor choices and ended up going back to college years after high school. I'm fare with the books and have an undergraduate degree. I'm so full of myself by now I can't stand to type anymore. :lol: 

Keep updating the Masters. I really enjoy it very much. I'm practicing my 400 yard drives in my dreams. ;) 
April 8, 2011 8:18:43 PM

I believe the masters is on ESPN until like 6PM (CDT), so you may be able to catch some of it later in the day. CBS will take over tomorrow. You should try and give it a watch for an hour or so if you have time. McIlroy is still on top at 9 under, while Choi (South Korean) is 7 under. Tiger is 1 under and isn't looking that great, while Mickelson finished 2 under.

You are clearly a man of athletic ability, whilst I am not. One minor thing we share in common is that we have decent arms. I've always had no problem winning the fast pitch competitions at carnivals and such. My best was a few years ago at age 23 and according to the radar gun at the street festival (it was off, no doubt) I managed to hit 86mph from a flat surface. Not bad for someone my size I say. Heck, in Little League I use to be "the closer" and I was the shortest kid on the team. I was never interested in doing anything with it though. I like watching baseball and occasionally playing, but I wasn't going to ruin my life by trying to accomplish something that would have came to nothing.

I'll keep my degrees and look for success that way. ;) 
April 8, 2011 9:38:58 PM

My plan was to be a professional baseball player from the time I was eight years old. baseball players were gods to me. I modeled my life after them in their hero image. I had no plan B.

I will try and catch some of the Masters action. I get the Golf channel too. It is difficult for me to put aside a whole lot of time to watch sports. I sometimes barely catch all the basketball I want to watch.
April 8, 2011 10:23:35 PM

One Tiger Woods is making a charge, as he is 6 under (3rd) through 15. We'll have to see if it is a fake charge, like say, how a big cat would charge you and you stand still hoping it isn't the real thing or a real one, in which you get hit with a wide open chain saw. ;) 
April 9, 2011 10:56:18 PM

badge - give golf a try. Don't go directly to a course but hit some balls at a driving range preferably with one of your friends who play and can advise you a bit. Don't buy clubs but borrow your friends clubs until you see if you like the game. I've played since high school but sadly still shoot in the mid 80s. Anyway, Phil Mickleson looks to be done in this tournament so I'm now rooting for Freddy Couples.
Good luck if you decide to try to play some golf - my favorite game to play in al of sports.
I still like watching the NFL better BTW
dave
April 10, 2011 1:50:13 AM

McIlroy seems to have a pretty commanding lead at this point at -12, which is 4 ahead of the 4 players tied for second. Tiger lost a few shots today to go to -5, which means he is probably out of it. Phil -3 and probably out of it as well. Unless McIlroy has a melt down of sorts tomorrow, it looks like he's going to take it. Not bad for being 21!
April 10, 2011 7:50:54 PM

Heckuva final round thus far! Mr. Woods is tied for the lead through the first nine. He's 5 under on his round today. McIleroy is struggling...
April 10, 2011 9:59:24 PM

wow -what a finish. I feel bad for Mac. Reminds me of Greg Normans meltdown in the late 80's and I watched that entire telecast. Tiger still has a chance.
April 10, 2011 10:04:53 PM

Indeed. This final round has been unbelievable!
April 10, 2011 10:15:51 PM

I hope badge is catching some of this. Golf can be fun to watch if only the majors.
Adam Scott just hooked a drive big time. Looks to be a GREAT finish.
April 10, 2011 10:37:13 PM

I agree. The majors, especially one like this that is close are the best. Schwartzel came out of nowhere!
April 10, 2011 10:51:30 PM

buwish said:
I agree. The majors, especially one like this that is close are the best. Schwartzel came out of nowhere!

What a finish - a Masters title and a hot wife. Life just doesn't get any better. Talk to you later Kevin I'm out.
dave
April 10, 2011 11:14:36 PM

Ain't that the truth. I've noticed that a lot of those golfers have hot wives. How in the heck do they pull it off?
April 11, 2011 12:56:54 AM

Yeah I caught the great finish. Charyl was so impressive. He rivaled Churchill. What determination and concentration. Hopefully that performance was something more than a fluke. I was especially impressed with jason Day's presence on the course. I expect to see many good things about Day's career in the future. Thanks to you two for posting the thread with updates. I would not have watched a single minute otherwise. I did watch golf a bit back in the 70's.
April 11, 2011 2:18:46 AM

We have a convert!
April 16, 2011 2:43:35 AM

buwish said:
We have a convert!

Agreed Kevin - now Badge you need to watch the US and British Opens. You will love the drama on Sunday.
dave
April 16, 2011 8:36:37 AM

Indeed. Hopefully no one runs away with either within the first three days! Pretty soon he'll be out on the driving range cussing up a storm like the rest of us. ;) 
April 16, 2011 3:57:28 PM

It's incrdible over the many years I have had any number of friends who played and I never have. I think I could get the hang of driving the ball with my natural swing. Not so many years ago people still stood around the batting cage in amazement as I knocked one ball after the other into orbit. I doubt I would be very good on the green putting for the eagle though. ;)  I saw a guy carrying a putter out of Goodwill the other day. Looked like a fine find to me. Remember, I watched my share of golf back in the 70's. One player I remember distinctly marveling in his mastery of the game was Gary Player.
April 16, 2011 6:45:08 PM

Indeed. Gary Player is a legend and a half. I believe that he was the first European to ever win the Masters or something like that 50 years ago. He's also a class act, much like Jack Niclaus and Arnold Palmer. True legends there.

Head to goodwill and get yourself a driver and go unload a few at the driving range. Be sure to stretch though! I've blown my back out before at the range. It was brutal.
April 16, 2011 7:23:38 PM

I may do that. If I can get my 18 year old son to got along, I may just give it try. There is a driving range right down the street. Full blown golf course also.
April 17, 2011 6:41:24 PM

Heck yeah. By July you'll be just like the rest of us: cussing up a storm on the public links. ;) 
April 18, 2011 12:10:53 AM

buwish said:
Indeed. Gary Player is a legend and a half. I believe that he was the first European to ever win the Masters or something like that 50 years ago. He's also a class act, much like Jack Niclaus and Arnold Palmer. True legends there.

Head to goodwill and get yourself a driver and go unload a few at the driving range. Be sure to stretch though! I've blown my back out before at the range. It was brutal.

Kevin, Gary Player is South African and may have been the 1st to win the Masters. I'd have to check but he is definetley not European. Good luck at the range Badge.
Dave
April 18, 2011 2:24:27 AM

Yep, right on Dave, he is South African. I guess I wasn't listening when it was mentioned on the masters broadcast.
!