Dell laptop repair

Tags:
  • Dell Inspiron
  • Laptops
  • Keyboards
  • Mobile Computing
Last response: in Mobile Computing
October 9, 2005 12:13:37 PM

So the keyboard on my old Dell Inspiron is acting up...or rather refusing to act. Sometimes after booting up some of the keys refuse to work, such as the 8 key, the I key, and a few others in that diagonal on the keyboard.

Is this something I can try to fix myself? If not can a local tech guy fix it or would it have to go back to Dell?

....WW (5.1)

More about : dell laptop repair

October 10, 2005 6:44:22 PM

Depends;

Does it happen only after boot? As in have you tried booting to another OS (IE MS-DOS or Linux) and attempted to use the keyboard keys that malfunction? If so, then how old is the laptop and what is the model number (Ins 5100, Ins 8500?) because some older models the keyboard is a FRU (Feild Replaceable Unit) and others a CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit) but honestly you can replace a FRU keyboard yourself if you have some carpentry/mechanical skill. Just go to http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentati...

All of Dell's service manuals are available online to all our customers, because we stop supporting most laptops after 5 years but we try to leave the manuals for those customers who desire a manual for part replacment.

Your Friendly Government Dell Tech,
J
Dell Rep ID - 172946
October 11, 2005 12:09:13 AM

Hey thanks for answering J!

The keyboard doesn't do it on every boot. However, sometimes it will boot with all the keys working and then after a time these same keys will then stop working.

The machine is an Inspiron 3800 purchased in Jan. 2001.
After following the link you provided it looks like a fairly simple repair if I can get a new keyboard. I also noticed from the diagrams that it appears the keys I am having trouble with are those that are above the Microprocessor shield. I wonder if the changes in temperature over time has caused some kind of problem?

....WW (5.1)
Related resources
October 11, 2005 3:31:24 PM

I checked the internal knowledge base and it's not listed as a known issue, however I'm sure if you've run the system more then the tested amount (Over 10,000 hours which is about 1.5k more hours than a year) you may being to see different signs of wear. It's possible the gel/oil in the pressure sensors for the keys has either worn or seeped out. Try connecting an external keyboard to the system when the problem happens, if the issue is only with the intg. keyboard I would suggest replacing it. I myself replace my keyboards once every 2 years while the system is in warranty, by that time I've had a keycap come off atleast once and that counts for replacement (even if the keycap can be put back on but I don't tell them that).

We're all rough on our keyboards, I really am, and after a year of use the space bar is shiny and keycaps WASD no longer have lettering.

J
Dell Rep ID - 172946
October 12, 2005 12:43:34 AM

No way have I put that many hours on my machine..heh heh..
It does spend 90% of it's life riding around in my vehicle and spends the night there as well. I'm in the home building business and it is basically my jobsite machine. I use it mostly to schedule with MS Project, view CAD drawings, and create whatever change order (etc.) docs I need. If an external board tests OK then I suppose I'll call and order a new board...couldn't find a freaking part number for it online.

Thanks for your help!

....WW (5.1)
October 13, 2005 10:29:15 PM

I can honestly say it wouldn't do you any good to find a part# online because as soon as a certain stock of a part is out, the part# changes even if it comes from the same vendor.

J
Dell Rep ID - 172946
October 14, 2005 12:41:16 AM

Cripes-A-Mighty! These guys sound like the local Gas Company! :) 

....WW (5.1)
November 26, 2005 5:45:36 PM

Dell has known problems with there keyboards on certain models. If you have the warranty with the AT HOME repair service, just tell them the model and they will come over and install a brand new keyboard in a few minutes.

Same deal happened with my dads work laptop. Certain Latitudes and Inspirons have a keyboard malfunction problem.
December 15, 2005 1:57:57 PM

I had this problem with my own 3800. When I called in, they told me that if it was /columns/ of keys that were dropping, then it was the result of a known problem with the keyboard controller. They came out and fixed it (replaced the motherboard and keyboard) and the problem went away. It sounds like this is exactly what is happening to you.

I've been having a different problem now with the control, shift, and alternate keys not functioning, and other keys registering double strokes; my warranty has expired, though, and so I haven't called to ask about it. If anybody knows anything about this problem, I'd love to hear it!

[I probably should clarify that the problem on your laptop is the /motherboard/, not the keyboard. This makes it aggravatingly expensive to fix, considering that it is a known defect.]

-- Ben
December 17, 2005 12:27:41 PM

Stumbled across this site that could be very useful to others with notebook problems. Notebook Parts
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2009 9:11:55 PM

Thanks!!!!!!!

PC and Apple MAC Laptop Screen Repair and Replacement in San Diego
http://www.laptopscreencare.com
September 29, 2009 1:38:55 PM

Hi it sounds more likely a hardware problem which a laptop or Dell tech would have to look at
_WW_ said:
So the keyboard on my old Dell Inspiron is acting up...or rather refusing to act. Sometimes after booting up some of the keys refuse to work, such as the 8 key, the I key, and a few others in that diagonal on the keyboard.

Is this something I can try to fix myself? If not can a local tech guy fix it or would it have to go back to Dell?

....WW (5.1)

a b D Laptop
March 9, 2011 4:25:36 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!