Sign in with
Your question

Windows 2000 Advanced Server Noob..right here<----

Last response: in Networking
October 1, 2002 4:32:15 AM

OK. I absolutely cannot get windows 2000 advanced server to route an ip aswell as the internet to the computers I have hook up to it. Im running a p3 system with two ethernet cards. One has the internet coming in and the other nic is going out to a hub. I've done everything I know to try to get it working properly. BUT ITS NOT!! When I try to renew the ip on one of the client computers it says, "An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection: Access is denied." What is the problem? And yes the client computer nic does work I tested it with a netgear router. Can anyone help me or point me in a direction where there is help???
October 1, 2002 10:00:52 AM

some thoughts...

you say "renew" which to me implies you could get one in the first place. Or am I wrong? What is the IP address before you try to renew? Is it an address from your DHCP range? or is it something like 169.XXX.XXX.XXX?

Do you have link lights on the connection from the 2nd NIC to the hub? If not, maybe you need a crossover cable, or you could connect the cable to the "uplink" port on the hub (if not set up that way already)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
October 2, 2002 12:06:13 AM

yes everything is in the right order: the ethernet lights are on, and it is making contact with the rhub, I never thought about a crossover cable hmm. I don't get an ip on the client computer is just says 0.0.0.0 it won't renew. Is there any thing else in windows im missing??
Related resources
October 2, 2002 1:46:51 AM

if the link lights look good on both the 2nd NIC and the hub port, you don't need a xover. Another thought: Are you sure ICS is set up properly?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
October 2, 2002 3:39:19 AM

why in gods name are you using advanced server to share an internet connection????

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
October 2, 2002 5:50:32 AM

why does it matter? I'm looking for help here not smart ass remarks
October 2, 2002 5:52:30 AM

also.. im pretty sure I set up ICS correctly. I checked the box that said share this connection...
October 2, 2002 11:58:49 AM

Quote:
yes everything is in the right order: the ethernet lights are on, and it is making contact with the rhub, I never thought about a crossover cable hmm. I don't get an ip on the client computer is just says 0.0.0.0 it won't renew. Is there any thing else in windows im missing

a dhcp server maybe?

go back a few steps, before trying to route, establish connectivity on your lan. Assign a static ip to the server, i.e.192.168.0.1 subnet of 255.255.255.0, setup a new dhcp scope to issue ip's to the other clients, i.e. 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 (or whatever- depending on the number of conenctions you will be having), see then if clients pick up an ip. That said, I've known ics to work from xp boxes to 98 with the 98 boxes having 0.0.0.0 ip, god knows how this happens but it does!, anyways, try that, get your lan connected properly, then go on to routing, I'd personally use rras rather than ics, but thats another topic.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
October 2, 2002 5:54:16 PM

it matters because you are a self admited advanced server n00b. there is a lot you can do on advanced server to screw every thing up. did you only set up ics? did you install the dhcp server? have you installed routing? is it running some kind of dns? all you need is ics, server is not needed. let alone advanced server!

October 4, 2002 3:48:59 AM

thanks calv
October 4, 2002 4:28:24 AM

ok. I got it to rout and ip to each clients. Now how can I rout the internet to them??
October 4, 2002 10:37:19 AM

click start/help, type in NAT and hit enter

October 5, 2002 3:00:04 AM

I'm lost man, I want to rout the internet using two ethernet cards not an ethernet card and a modem. I know im just dancing around the problem....
October 6, 2002 4:07:44 PM

Change Static IP address for all internal workstation, and the second NIC of Advance 2000 SErver.
Set efault gateway to the Second NIc of your server

MCSE, MCP+Internet, CNE
October 6, 2002 6:54:13 PM

so set the default gateway to the nic that the internet is coming in from?
October 7, 2002 4:24:26 AM

i had a problem with an xp machine that wouldnt find the gateway, i had to rerun the internet connection wizard to "connect to the internet through another computer" i never had to do this before. but the last time i was setting it up nothing would work. i think when you run the ics setup on the server it makes a file you run on other computers. that was on 98 anyway.

October 7, 2002 4:45:07 PM

ok, you cant use ICS on a domain, Im on a domain at home so cant set it up, read the help, it tells you word for word how to set it up, the same goes for a nic connection or a dialup connection, the reason I didnt write it all here is because im @ work on an NT workstation and I'd just have put whats in the help anyway but may have missed something out.

how much net access does the client need? if its just web/mail then maybe analogx's proxy might be an option.

October 7, 2002 5:47:40 PM

hes trying to setup ics on a domain controler?

October 7, 2002 6:58:32 PM

I'm tring to setup ICS..
October 8, 2002 11:06:29 AM

Quote:
hes trying to setup ics on a domain controler?

sounds like it, me not too sure lol if so, will be there for ever coz ics wont work on a DC, which is why I mentioned rras before

dude, how is the server configged?

!