Audiovox XV6600 Recomendations?

Hey, anyone out there have any experiences or recomendations yet on the
Audiovox XV6600? I am looking for a replacenment to the Kyocera 7135...
Since it seems Verizon is not on the list to carry the Treo 650 and I am not
a big fan of the Blackberry, this seems like the logical choice for a
phone/pda combo. Verizon online doesn't carry it yet, but I see it is
available from several other websites that are Verizon agents.

Thanks,
Chuck

--- Charles Thistlethwaite wrote:
> Verizon online doesn't carry [the XV6600] yet, but I see it is
> available from several other websites that are Verizon agents.

If you shop the VZW web site with a Bay Area ZIP
code, it seems that the XV6600 is not listed among
the available phones. However, if you switch your
location to ZIP code 10001 (New York City), the
XV6600 is listed. (This might not do you much good
in California.)

However, on Sunday I located a live, activated
XV6600 at the downtown Walnut Creek Verizon store
(not a reseller), next to Andronico's and a stone's
throw from the new Century Theater. It was fun
playing with it, but until the faster data service
arrives in the Bay Area (which store employees
expect to occur in the second half of 2005), I'm
not much interested in it.

On 9 Feb 2005 18:48:10 -0800, xx-google@telefog.com wrote:

>If you shop the VZW web site with a Bay Area ZIP
>code, it seems that the XV6600 is not listed among
>the available phones. However, if you switch your
>location to ZIP code 10001 (New York City), the
>XV6600 is listed. (This might not do you much good
>in California.)
>
>However, on Sunday I located a live, activated
>XV6600 at the downtown Walnut Creek Verizon store
>(not a reseller), next to Andronico's and a stone's
>throw from the new Century Theater. It was fun
>playing with it, but until the faster data service
>arrives in the Bay Area (which store employees
>expect to occur in the second half of 2005), I'm
>not much interested in it.

I looked at it.

It has a nice feature set.

I didn't like the keyboard .... I thought the screen was too big for a
phone, and I prefer PalmOS.

That said: the EVDO is SWEET, and I have it in my area. But, I had to
ask myself: For downloading e-mails do I really need broadband speeds?

In essence I found that I'd prefer the Treo 650.

What I'll probably do is purchase a Treo 650 from Sprint under a 1
year contract. Next year I'll do 1 of 2 things: 1) If something
better is out from VZW I'll switch back ... if not I'll activate the
Treo on the VZW network and come back home. :) (Assuming it works.)

If I find out that Sprint has really bad coverage during my trial
period of course then plans may change.

> Audiovox XV6600? I am looking for a replacenment to the Kyocera 7135...
> Since it seems Verizon is not on the list to carry the Treo 650 and I am
> not a big fan of the Blackberry, this seems like the logical choice for a

I just bought an XV6600 in the Philadelphia area. We have the high speed
internet here but I'm not interested in doing much with it considering it's
incredibly expensive. I bought the cheapest access and at $24.99 I only get
5meg of transfers, so a little eMail is all I'll use it for. Even text
messaging is extra and I use that so I know when I receive eMail.

The battery life is ok. Nothing like my old PDA which was good for a week
or my T-720 that lasted three days. I have to recharge this once a day but
that probably wouldn't shock many of you who use your cell phone much more
than I do. I do use Bluetooth between my laptop for ActiveSync and a little
novelty browsing on the XV6600 since that's FREE!

Somebody said the screen is big for a cell-phone. No argument there but
it's smaller than my old PDA and now I only need to carry one device. The
keyboard is very nice if you're sending eMail. A lot more practicle then
trying to compose an eMail on a cell-phone. The default ringers are not
loud but get on the User Groups because theirs a set of them which somebody
bootlegged from another device. Even though they're the same ring tones,
they're much louder. Better than that is I don't have to pay for ring tones
(or graphics) like I did with the T-720.

The included case is garbage but BG cases has a perfect one.

The Bluetooth has a bug if you use a headset. The phone can go to sleep and
take down the bluetooth. Although an incoming call will wake it up, it
takes a few seconds. I have to admit, I haven't tried this yet I'm waiting
for the Jabra BT800 but when I have Bluetooth on, the phone does not actualy
go to sleep. Even if this does turn out to be a bug for me, Audiovox claims
they will have that fixed shortly and there are in fact some hacks already
available that are suppossed to fix it.

I tried two different xv6600 phones. I got the first one and the volume
although all the way up was not even loud enough to hear while being in your
car with a wiundow open. I sent it back and got another one thinking that it
must be defective. Nope. Same thing. I have temporarily switched over to
Sprint where I am using the Treo 650. Great Unit! When Verizon finally
decides to sell it, I will switch back. Are you listening Verizon???

Lorne

"Charles Thistlethwaite" <incubusnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, anyone out there have any experiences or recomendations yet on the
> Audiovox XV6600? I am looking for a replacenment to the Kyocera 7135...
> Since it seems Verizon is not on the list to carry the Treo 650 and I am
> not a big fan of the Blackberry, this seems like the logical choice for a
> phone/pda combo. Verizon online doesn't carry it yet, but I see it is
> available from several other websites that are Verizon agents.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck

Madison, WI had the XV6600 and Treo 650 side-by-side for sale at a
Circuit City (with eVDO "up and running"). If you don't have it yet,
then I think it should be on the way to your area soon.

I got to play with a Sprint Treo 650 this afternoon too. No doubt, it is
the best Palm based smartphone out there, but I doubt we will see it in a
Verizon store anytime soon. As far as the volume with the XV6600, that is
good to know, even if I do use a car kit.

Thanks,
Chuck

"Lorne Steiner" <lorne_steiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I tried two different xv6600 phones. I got the first one and the volume
>although all the way up was not even loud enough to hear while being in
>your car with a wiundow open. I sent it back and got another one thinking
>that it must be defective. Nope. Same thing. I have temporarily switched
>over to Sprint where I am using the Treo 650. Great Unit! When Verizon
>finally decides to sell it, I will switch back. Are you listening
>Verizon???
>
> Lorne
>
> "Charles Thistlethwaite" <incubusnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hey, anyone out there have any experiences or recomendations yet on the
>> Audiovox XV6600? I am looking for a replacenment to the Kyocera 7135...
>> Since it seems Verizon is not on the list to carry the Treo 650 and I am
>> not a big fan of the Blackberry, this seems like the logical choice for a
>> phone/pda combo. Verizon online doesn't carry it yet, but I see it is
>> available from several other websites that are Verizon agents.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chuck

I can't imagine spending the extra bucks for the XV6600 and not taking
advantage of the EVDO network. Lots of folks around the country are
patiently waiting for high speed internet access (albeit high priced) to
come to their town. I've heard you can combine the 5mb plan with your plan
minutes for additional access.

Thanks for your input,
Chuck

"wowcow" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Audiovox XV6600? I am looking for a replacenment to the Kyocera 7135...
>> Since it seems Verizon is not on the list to carry the Treo 650 and I am
>> not a big fan of the Blackberry, this seems like the logical choice for a
>
> I just bought an XV6600 in the Philadelphia area. We have the high speed
> internet here but I'm not interested in doing much with it considering
> it's incredibly expensive. I bought the cheapest access and at $24.99 I
> only get 5meg of transfers, so a little eMail is all I'll use it for.
> Even text messaging is extra and I use that so I know when I receive
> eMail.
>
> The battery life is ok. Nothing like my old PDA which was good for a week
> or my T-720 that lasted three days. I have to recharge this once a day
> but that probably wouldn't shock many of you who use your cell phone much
> more than I do. I do use Bluetooth between my laptop for ActiveSync and a
> little novelty browsing on the XV6600 since that's FREE!
>
> Somebody said the screen is big for a cell-phone. No argument there but
> it's smaller than my old PDA and now I only need to carry one device. The
> keyboard is very nice if you're sending eMail. A lot more practicle then
> trying to compose an eMail on a cell-phone. The default ringers are not
> loud but get on the User Groups because theirs a set of them which
> somebody bootlegged from another device. Even though they're the same
> ring tones, they're much louder. Better than that is I don't have to pay
> for ring tones (or graphics) like I did with the T-720.
>
> The included case is garbage but BG cases has a perfect one.
>
> The Bluetooth has a bug if you use a headset. The phone can go to sleep
> and take down the bluetooth. Although an incoming call will wake it up,
> it takes a few seconds. I have to admit, I haven't tried this yet I'm
> waiting for the Jabra BT800 but when I have Bluetooth on, the phone does
> not actualy go to sleep. Even if this does turn out to be a bug for me,
> Audiovox claims they will have that fixed shortly and there are in fact
> some hacks already available that are suppossed to fix it.

The XV6600 is compatible with 1X internet service as well, correct?

Chuck
<xx-google@telefog.com> wrote in message
> --- Charles Thistlethwaite wrote:
>> Verizon online doesn't carry [the XV6600] yet, but I see it is
>> available from several other websites that are Verizon agents.
>

> If you shop the VZW web site with a Bay Area ZIP
> code, it seems that the XV6600 is not listed among
> the available phones. However, if you switch your
> location to ZIP code 10001 (New York City), the
> XV6600 is listed. (This might not do you much good
> in California.)
>
> However, on Sunday I located a live, activated
> XV6600 at the downtown Walnut Creek Verizon store
> (not a reseller), next to Andronico's and a stone's
> throw from the new Century Theater. It was fun
> playing with it, but until the faster data service
> arrives in the Bay Area (which store employees
> expect to occur in the second half of 2005), I'm
> not much interested in it.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:02:31 -0500, SlurpTheo wrote
(in article <1108443751.294330.190860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Madison, WI had the XV6600 and Treo 650 side-by-side for sale at a
> Circuit City (with eVDO "up and running"). If you don't have it yet,
> then I think it should be on the way to your area soon.

I looked at both. I found nearly everything about the Treo 650 to be far
more to my liking. The EV-DO was nice, but for e-mail usage, I didn't see
THAT great of an advantage to it, certainly not for the cost difference per
month.

In the end I went with a Sprint Treo 650 for a year. The rest of my family
stayed on Verizon. I am hopeful that VZW will get the Treo 650 by next year
.... who knows. For the moment I'm happy.

I agree. I did the exact same thing. Bye Bye Verizon, until they either get
a Treo 640 or the next generation of the Samsung Pocket PC.

Lorne
'
"SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:02:31 -0500, SlurpTheo wrote
> (in article <1108443751.294330.190860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):
>

>> Madison, WI had the XV6600 and Treo 650 side-by-side for sale at a
>> Circuit City (with eVDO "up and running"). If you don't have it yet,
>> then I think it should be on the way to your area soon.
>>

> I looked at both. I found nearly everything about the Treo 650 to be far
> more to my liking. The EV-DO was nice, but for e-mail usage, I didn't see
> THAT great of an advantage to it, certainly not for the cost difference
> per
> month.
>
> In the end I went with a Sprint Treo 650 for a year. The rest of my
> family
> stayed on Verizon. I am hopeful that VZW will get the Treo 650 by next
> year
> ... who knows. For the moment I'm happy.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:40:40 GMT, "Lorne Steiner"
<lorne_steiner@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I agree. I did the exact same thing. Bye Bye Verizon, until they either get
>a Treo 640 or the next generation of the Samsung Pocket PC.
>
>Lorne

What is this next generation of Samsung PocketPC like? (Hadn't heard
of it until now)

Last week, I went into the Verizon Store all excited about buying the new
Audiovox XV6600. We tried two different phones in the store and the ringer
volume was so low that the store manager wouldn't let me take the
"defective" units. I went into another Verizon store and bought the phone
anyway (thinking that I could return it if I could not fix the problem.) I
did like many other others and downloaded louder ringtones which helped but
still they were not loud enough to really fix the problem. But the earpiece
volume was still too low for me to use this phone in anyplace other than a
quiet environment. I tried a bluetooth device and the volume was just ok,
not great. To me a phone that you can hear is not a good phone. I called
Verizon and talked to many people. I also called and talked to Audiovox in
New Jersey. They told me about a fix that was posted on their web site
which would fix all problems. I downloaded the fix, backed up my phone,
installed the fix and then restored all data (more than one hour of my time)
and yet nothing changed. I again called Audiovox and told them the fix did
not work. I got a call back from a Vice President at Audiovox who admitted
there might not be any fix to the problem and suggested that I return the
phone. Verizon took the phone back without any problem.

I am still looking for a new PDA/Phone with "Push" email. Hopefully
something that works will be out soon.

Bruce D. Brown