win32 wont decompress dl_ file

I'm trying to set up the fax console in win xp home edition. I do not have the cd-rom, but I did locate the compressed dll files (dl_). When I try to open the fxscfgwz.dl_ with win32 cabinet self-extractor, I get an error window that says "A required resource cannot be located" .What next?
3 answers Last reply
More about win32 wont decompress dl_ file

    Provide more detail. I suspect this is an OS question, not a fax question.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "ben" <brown_e_ben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to set up the fax console in win xp home edition. I do not have
    the cd-rom, but I did locate the compressed dll files (dl_). When I try to
    open the fxscfgwz.dl_ with win32 cabinet self-extractor, I get an error
    window that says "A required resource cannot be located" .What next?

    I don't think it is is an OS issue b/c I have had the comp. for over 1 yr with no problems. This is the first time I have tried to set up the fax service. When I try to set this up, a window comes up and instructs me to insert my win xp cd-rom b/c a certain "fxscfgwz.dll" file is needed. Since I do not have the cd-rom, I turned to this message board for help. I found what I thought I needed- this was posted on the message board.......................
    "When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
    files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
    for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
    and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
    fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the last letter in
    the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need to be
    decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the file to
    use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor,
    which is in the system folder. With any luck it will uncompress them all and
    make them visible as DLL files. The install routine still may not find these
    files. If so, then you must manually direct the installation routine to the
    i386 folder that contains these extracted files."
    I did all this, that is when I got the error message " a required resource cannot be located". This window does not have any text in the active title bar, it has no visible properties. My Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor did not do what what it was supposed to do. I can direct the installation to the file if it was in the correct extension. (.dll not .dl_)

    As I said, an OS problem, not a fax problem. Your OEM is responsible for
    providing installation files. There is nothing we can do.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I don't think it is is an OS issue b/c I have had the comp. for over 1 yr
    with no problems. This is the first time I have tried to set up the fax
    service. When I try to set this up, a window comes up and instructs me to
    insert my win xp cd-rom b/c a certain "fxscfgwz.dll" file is needed. Since I
    do not have the cd-rom, I turned to this message board for help. I found
    what I thought I needed- this was posted on the message
    board.......................
    > "When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary
    installation
    > files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    > that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
    the
    > files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
    search
    > for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
    > and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
    > fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the last letter in
    > the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need to be
    > decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the file
    > use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet
    Self-Extractor,
    > which is in the system folder. With any luck it will uncompress them all
    and
    > make them visible as DLL files. The install routine still may not find
    these
    > files. If so, then you must manually direct the installation routine to
    the
    > i386 folder that contains these extracted files."
    > I did all this, that is when I got the error message " a required resource
    cannot be located". This window does not have any text in the active title
    bar, it has no visible properties. My Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor did not
    do what what it was supposed to do. I can direct the installation to the
    file if it was in the correct extension. (.dll not .dl_)

Win32 Fax Windows XP