Help out. For fsx Make my DAY PLEASE!!

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hi , there are my specs:

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB ( thinking on i5 2500k)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive

ASUS P8Z77-M mATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 HDMI

Heatsink Included With My CPU

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-

AMD Radeon HD 7870 1GHz 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5

Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX12V V2.2 24PIN Power Supply with 120MM Fan

Im very tight on budget -- Already 100 dollars overprice lol.

But my question is, will these settings be able to max out flight simulator x, with good fps, and good graphics? If not , should i get a pre oced processor ( i5 2500k @ 4ghz , with a noctua NH- D14 and 750 watt power) , then will it be able to max out ? I really dont wana get a oced processor, and its a last option, this is because a processor oced at that much with that cooler is going to die out faster other then my i7 2600k normal or i5 2500k normal..

Solution
asus make reasonable motherboards. but your getting into hardware specifics and this is where you learn to do your research... i could tell you everything you want to know but it will never be as good as you going hunting with google yourself...
im sorry but this is where i get off this bus...
half the fun of owning a pc is digging around the net looking for snippets of info that will answer your questions... toms is currently reviewing some z77 boards for instance so thats a good place to start. it also has overclocking guides again another good place to start....
but i would recommend you also check out anantech, hardware secrets and tweak town for hardware reviews and then theres overclockers for guides on overclocking specific...

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Your system exceeds the system requirements of Flight Simulator X by a huge margin. It only asks for a 2GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a 64MB DX9 GPU. With your rig, you should be able play almost all recent games at high settings.

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

thanks for your response!! I understand that if this setup can give me 25 - 30 fps then i wont have to Overclock? But the problem is i dont know how to overclock lol ( im only 15) and im going to buy this setup still , but im thinking if i should get a oced cpu, at 4ghz intel i5 2500k , i dont know how long it would last though , can u give me a rough estimate of how long it would last to a normal clocked computer?

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Thanks for your response!! I understand that this can give me maxed settings now, but will it give me good fps with rex, and all those good addons? Do you recomend me getting a i5 2500k proccessor at 4ghz? With a nh d14 air cooler? If yes, how long would it last on a rough estimate at 13 hours on time a day.. Compared to a normal clocked cpu.. im only 15 soo i wouldnt be able to Oc my self safely lol. Thats why i have to decide before hand..

stock speeds will be fine if you have a 2500k as its the bulls danglies when it comes to gaming so there will be little need to oc it... if you did oc it then the life of the cpu may well be shortend but as your looking at a comparativley small octhat is unlikley to need any voltage increase the life of the cpu should still be in the 6-10 years bracket.
also there is a new microsoft flight sim that looks way bettwe and will actualy play better on your new hardware.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/ its free to play but you do have to pay for expansions and other plains.

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Thank you soo much man! You are a great help! So, basically your saying my clock speeds will be fine , but if i do choose to Oc to 4ghz, i wont have to toy around with the voltages? and if i just change the ghz to 4 it will be fine , and will last 6 years? or is that on a normal comp!?

pertty much, the new overclocking bios is pretty simple to use as long as you have good cooling you will be set... like i say if you dont up the voltages and your sample is stable at 4ghz on stock volts then it will last as long as any cpu. so yeah 6+years wouldnt be to hard to imagine for its lifespan...

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Okay!! Thanks soo much , also the motherboard im using is good correct? Also last thing before i give you top comment ; what should i only change in the bios? Can you just write a quick tutorial on here? like step for step what to do to oc to 4ghz without a voltage change

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

also how do i know its stable ? will it have cool temps , and it wont crash ?

on new cpus testing is pretty straight forward. prime 95 will show any instability and normally will do it fairly quickly. if you cant pass an hour stress test then its unstable...
the reason i say an hour is because newer cpus have much more overclock ability than old 1s and have much more headroom for voltage tolerance. it used to be you would need to test for 12 hours on a 300mhz oc but 300mhz today is nothing as most newer cpus will give at least 1ghz and some will do 1.7ghz more than advertised...
if you can pass a prime 95 stress test for 1-2 hours you can be pretty sure your cpu is stable enough to game on.
also you can test your mem with either memtest which will take hours or you can run superpi 32m which will take minutes but both will give you an idea of how stable your memory is. if your memory cant do 2-3 superpi 32m tests in a row without crashing then the mem is unstable. this isnt a standard test but it works for me... i run my i7 at 3.6 stock volts and i havent had a single bsod related to memory or the cpu since i oc'd it last year... so i think my superpi tests as good as memtest...
but its up to you which you choose...
use realtemp and speedfan to monitor temps while your stress testing.. if you get within 5-10 degrees of your tjmax then stop testing and turn down the oc... as your cooling cant cope... other than that theres only reading to do. check around for overclocking guides, but dont just go off 1. make sure you read a few to make sure what your reading is correct so you dont blow anything up...

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

thanks , and can you link me too good guilds ? and is the asus p8z77 good to oc at stock voltage? Also should i go with the noctua nh d 14 to oc at stock voltage -- i want my 100 percent temps to be in the med 50's. Also , can you just write what i should change in the bios when ocing ? For stock voltage only ? Thanks in advance, and ill give u top comment after mate : )

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Also , i heard that "M" motherboards arent good? Im going to be playing fsx ( alot of cpu power needed) , is the ASUS P8Z77-M mATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 HDMI DVI USB3.0 Motherboard good? if not , what do you recomend for the same price?

asus make reasonable motherboards. but your getting into hardware specifics and this is where you learn to do your research... i could tell you everything you want to know but it will never be as good as you going hunting with google yourself...
im sorry but this is where i get off this bus...
half the fun of owning a pc is digging around the net looking for snippets of info that will answer your questions... toms is currently reviewing some z77 boards for instance so thats a good place to start. it also has overclocking guides again another good place to start....
but i would recommend you also check out anantech, hardware secrets and tweak town for hardware reviews and then theres overclockers for guides on overclocking specific motherboards and cpu combo's...
i know i sound an ass hat by saying go look for yourself. but in reality i am doing right by you... you will find much more accurate info than my second hand knowlage of the z88 as i havent used it...

Solution

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

okay thanks soo much .