Need a little Help Here with temp?

G

Can someone tell me if my temp sould be lower than 51c?

HSF: GlobalWin FOP38 - Fan Speed - 6800 RPM
Power Supply: 300w w/ Fan
Top of Case: SUNON 120x120x38mm - 3100 RPM (Whole drilled threw top of case)
System & Vid Card Fan: GlobalWin CAF12
Rear Case Fan: SUNON
Front Intake Fan: Fan that came with case (Enlight Mid tower)

Thanks

David

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
do you have thermal paste on the haet sink or a thermal pad

the paste actual helps alot also you could smooth the bottom of the heat sink with some reallly fine sand paper. rust rember to clean the botomn off if you do this

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Basically: Nope.

But you can take off the side of your case, and blow a housefan in there to see if you get lower temps on your cpu. If all you have is one 120mm, you might see a difference of 1C on your cpu, but not much more than that.

G

I'm using AS II for my thermal paste.
CPU is a 1Ghz not overclocked.

It seems other people in this forum are getting much less temps than me
????

David

G

I'm assuming you are talking @idle right? If so, yes, you are high. With the fop38 and the 120mm blowhole, I'd expect you to ba a lot cooler. A few q's:

What is the ambient temp of your room?
Where is the case located? Ie, what type of circulation are you getting there?

I just put two 120mm AC fans in my case, and I got the biggest drop when I put one in the side of the case right over my hsf. I notices I was intaking a lot more than I was exhausting, so I just added another for a blowhole to even it out and get an upward airflow in the case. One problem I noticed with the blowhole, the only good passage of air from the bottm section of the case was almost completely blocked off with wires from the psu, so I bundled them neatly and tied them to the side to keep it open. Which brings the next point, have you made all your cables stay out of the way of the flow? Either make them round, or try to route them as to stay out of the way of the needed airflow.

If you get any more 120mm fans, I would recommend getting the AC powered ones from Radio Shack. They move 65cfm, are dead quiet, and don't use up any of your DC power. I just tapped the AC inside the power supply and added an AC molex inside the case (Label it!!!!) so when I just added another, it was as easy as adding another DC unit...

Plan your caseflow... Make the in and out either equal, or lean a little towards the exhaust side. I strongly recommend cutting a hole in the side over the cpu, I got my biggest gain from that one.

G

To add to that, is the 120mm fan blowing out? How about the case temperature? When you say the hole was cut, does that mean a big hole or do you mean a bunch of drill holes? Big hole would be better, but drill holes will work as well as long at there's room between the fan and the mount, also the bigger the holes, generally the better.