Limited account users unable to print from XP Home Edition

Huw

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

I have XP Home set up with three users: one administrator and two limited use accounts.

My printer (Epson Stylus Photo 900) works perfectly from the administrator account, but neither of the limited account users can print.

They do not get any error messages, everything looks perfectly normal when they try to print something (the printer icon appears briefly in the system tray, etc.) but nothing happens at the business end of the printer. No clicking or whirring, no flashing lights, no movement, and overall, no printing.

Any ideas?

I'll use my crystal ball here and tell you that you have Norton antivirus
installed!

Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers and Faxes. Right click on
the printer and select Properties. In the Advanced tab, set it to Print
Direct to Printer instead of the default which would be to use the Print
Spooler.

There is something in NAV that interferes with the way Limited Users can
access the print spooler. By-passing it isn't the real solution, but it
works and saves you having to purchase new antivirus software.
www.coribright.com

"Huw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have XP Home set up with three users: one administrator and two limited
use accounts.

> My printer (Epson Stylus Photo 900) works perfectly from the administrator
account, but neither of the limited account users can print.

> They do not get any error messages, everything looks perfectly normal when
they try to print something (the printer icon appears briefly in the system
tray, etc.) but nothing happens at the business end of the printer. No
clicking or whirring, no flashing lights, no movement, and overall, no
printing.

> Any ideas?

Huw

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Hmm. I haven't (knowlingly!) got Norton Antivirus, but what you suggested seems to have workes anyway!

Thanks!