Silverado good as the review?

G

Hi, I am not sure if it's my silverado, or it's my cpu(1.2G ,higher than the test from the review which is 1G), I don't know why silverado perfroms same as my Taisol CGK742. After I start up my computer, my cpu temp is 41 and later it will reach up to 51. And the point is I have only done some simple stuff like browsing and no gaming. I hope if someone has a silverado and with a cpu 1.2G, A7V133(asus), please tell me what is your temp reading. Because it doesn't make any sense to me that my taisol heatsink perfroms 1 degree lower than the silverado(I have both temp with the case open). I use the thermal compound that came with silverado.I hope someone can help me.
P.S. I heard someone said that the temp read from the asus motherboard is actually higher than the actual temp, is that right?

ronald

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
They are as good as the review. I am running one at 6v on an Athlon 1200/266 clocked to 1377mhz. My system used to wail like a banshee and is now quiet even with side removed. My temps get up to about 46C but it all depends on ambient room temp.

Be sure to install wcprsave and change register 52 to EB if it isn't already set to that value.

G

> Be sure to install wcprsave and change register 52 to EB if it isn't already set to that value.

Now what on earth does that mean? Is it some software that comes with the Silverado?

G

Would you mind to explain what does that mean? because I don't really know where does the register come from? Do you use Asus motherboard also? Because it seems my temp isn't right either, I actually live in Chicago and I believe my heat isn't that high, so I think either my silverado has something wrong, or my motherboard isn't reading the right temp

Thank

G

C'mon guys, do your homework! It should be well known that the cpu idle byte is very often set incorrectly. You should also have heard of Mr. H. Oda by now and his fabulous bios tweak proggys(wpcredit and wpcrset) for lame bios that don't have the correct settings!

If not you need to do a little research...

Silverado is extremely cool. I bought two using Pay Pal and got them in 8 days. My Asus A7V bios (don't remember current version that I'm using)is one of several Athlon mb bios that don't have correct cpu idle byte set. This has been mentioned in several articles on hardware tweaking, including a recent, seemingly derivative, but still useful article (http://www.athlonoc.com/tweakvia1.htm. Anyway, get the wcprset, install it, and set register 52h to EBh and your cpu idle temps will go down 10 degrees. Ta ta..

G

Ronz200, thanks for the info. I'll have to do some research this evening after work. But perhaps you can answer my biggest question right now. If I'm running my system at 100% all the time due to the distributed.net client (or SETI) would this register tweak still make a difference?

ronald

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Good question. I don't know the answer but if you really are at 100% then the idle tweak may not be helpful. Someone else probably can answer this better than me. I know that if I play my favorite online flight sim for several minutes, my cpu temp goes up to 49-50C but goes back down to 34C immediately after I stop.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
You got them in 8 days? I'm about to buy one. but it says 2-4 weeks shipping. Is that just a huge overstatement? And what country do you live in?

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

Tankman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2001
I live in Germany and they told me 4 weeks. Their German language homepage says that Silverados ordered after 23 March will be delivered at the end of April.

G

Hi, I have set it to EB, however, there is one thing that I don't understand, if you use asus probe, you can see the Voltage, most of them keep changing all the time, is it good or bad?

ronald

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
The 8 days was from the time my Pay Pal payment was confirmed. I think it may take longer now as they are probably getting a fairly large number of orders.

G

unknownx, I'm just getting ready to order a silverado. How is yours working now that a couple days have passed since your first post? I've also got an A7V133 and was wondering how the silverado fits on the board. The website mentions its size is troublesome for some motherboards. Also, did it go through customs or did it just end up at your door? I'm a little curious since this is my first international order.

G

No problem on the install, however, I am not so sure if it's my silverado, or it's my case, it doesn't cool as I expected, it has the same result as my Taisol CGK 742. I have install the program as the post, it does change the temp by around 7 degree, but since I am not so sure if the voltage varies from time is good thing or not, I have reset it back(reset the computer).
If you are trying to install the heatsink, make sure you don't put too much heatsink compound, one little drop is enough, the first time I put way too much and it does raise the temp, after I uninstalled the heatsink and clean out the compound, I put one drop of the compound and it drop 1 degree. Anyway, good luck on your order

G

I am trying to buy a Silverado CPU Fan Cooler (I live in the United States), but I can not find a company that sells them. Do any of you have a recomendation as to where I can purcahse one? Also, does it fit on an Asus A7V133 mobo OK?
Thanks for your help.

ronald

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Yes, the temps will change a lot. For example, right after I turn my computer on the asus temp monitor reads in the mid 30s (Celsius). If I just surf the net and read email it doesn't change much. But, if I run a benchmark program or play online 3d gaming (Red Baron mmp rulz!), the temps go up to the low to mid 40s. If the room temperature is warm enough to notice then the Asus reported temps will go right up to 49-50. The highest I have seen is 51celsius after a hard 20 minutes of air to air combat online. I expect that to climb even higher as our Seattle spring weather starts to warm. BUT, keep in mind that I am running with the side of the case removed and NO other fans running. When I start forcing air through the case or at least over the cpu, I expect the temps to be within 5 degrees of ambient room temp at all time. YES, there are times I have seen when the temp climbs for no apparent reason up to 49 and then just slides right back down to 39. I think it is something related to cpu idle doing its thing.

The Silverado has made me aware of just how noisy my power supply fans really are! Gotta get a better power supply..

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I also wana find where i can purchase a silverado and some artic silver termal paste

mucho thanks

7-|3 ^^4|\ \\[7-| 7-|3 8[9 57[<< 4[\\4`/5 \\[|\5....

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
www.noisecontrol.de is the only place to purchase one. Keep in mind that it will come from Germany, but they have a new English order page which can ship internationally to USA, Australia, New Zealand or Canada. I ordered one yestreday.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

hey not every computer related product comes from the US and Taiwon.

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
I read the web ad that stated deliveries would be at end of april. But I placed my order for a Silverado on 01 apr 2001
and received it on the 9 apr (also 8 days later).
I live in U.K which is oviously closer to Noisecontrol's
factory in Germany, than the U.S is .
By the way since fitting the Silverado to my 1.2G/266 T.bird
on Asus A7M266 and using Arctic Silver II thermal compound
instead of that supplied by noisecontrol my temp has dropped
to 45C when running SETI (100% cpu load) for 2hrs, before
it would be 50C under same conditions but with a coolermaster HSF. PS I,ve connected it directly to 12v and its reasonably quiet.