Component fax could not be initialized.

David

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows XP Fax Services. When I go
to Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs, and then when
I click on "Add/Remove Windows Components", I get the
following error message:

"The installation library for component fax could not be
initialized."

Then, "Fax Services" does not appear in the list of
components for me to install.

I have an IBM Thinkpad T40, WinXP Pro with latest service
pack.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

David

Where are your installation files?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Windows XP Fax Services. When I go
> to Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs, and then when
> I click on "Add/Remove Windows Components", I get the
> following error message:
>
> "The installation library for component fax could not be
> initialized."
>
> Then, "Fax Services" does not appear in the list of
> components for me to install.
>
> I have an IBM Thinkpad T40, WinXP Pro with latest service
> pack.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

I assume they are in C:\I386 ... this directory is about
480 MB in size. But IBM doesn't distribute CDs with their
computers, to re-image there is a special partition on the
hard disk. Are there any particular files I need to look
for? There are 31 compressed (.EX_, .DL_, etc) files that
start with "FX" in the C:\I386 directory... The error
message doesn't give me an opportunity to point it to a
directory to search for files.

Thanks,

David

When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
files are pre-copied by an OEM on the hard drive. If you do a search for the
files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll and
fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
fxcfgwz.dl_. These are compressed DLL files and will need to be
decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the file to
use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor,
which is in the system folder. With any luck it will uncompress them all and
make them visible as DLL files. The install routine still may not find these
files. If so, then you must manually direct the installation routine to the
i386 folder that contains these extracted files.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> I assume they are in C:\I386 ... this directory is about
> 480 MB in size. But IBM doesn't distribute CDs with their
> computers, to re-image there is a special partition on the
> hard disk. Are there any particular files I need to look
> for? There are 31 compressed (.EX_, .DL_, etc) files that
> start with "FX" in the C:\I386 directory... The error
> message doesn't give me an opportunity to point it to a
> directory to search for files.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

David

I have done as you suggested and decompressed all of the
files that I found, but I still get the same error
message. Also, I am given no opportunity to choose a
directory for it to search in, it never tells me that
there are files missing or what it is looking for, it just
simply says:

"The installation library for component fax could not be
initialized."

with an OK button. After clicking I get the list of
components, but Fax Services is not shown.

Any other ideas?

David

No, sorry. Your only recourse is with the OEM. Only they can provide access
to these files.
--
> I have done as you suggested and decompressed all of the
> files that I found, but I still get the same error
> message. Also, I am given no opportunity to choose a
> directory for it to search in, it never tells me that
> there are files missing or what it is looking for, it just
> simply says:
>

> "The installation library for component fax could not be
> initialized."
>
> with an OK button. After clicking I get the list of
> components, but Fax Services is not shown.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> David

David

Or, by chance, noticing a $60 fax machine with a $50
rebate at Fry's... :)

IBM was no help anyway.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, they are appreciated!

David